Author Topic: Chris Paul Still better than Rondo?  (Read 18761 times)

Re: Chris Paul Still better than Rondo?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 07:58:38 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Rondo improving his jumper is finally making a comparison more possible.

Rondo's overall game is fast approaching CP3 's and baring injuries , he should put out numbers better than CP3 consistantly from yr to yr.

ROndos best game stat wise I think will always be better than CP3 , as I belive Rondo is a superior physical player today.

Where CP3 has the advantage Night in and night out is more of a mental "ATTITUDE"  about winning. Like Kobe , CP3 is 110% all in EVERY GAME is a must win , do or die situation. CP3 LEAVES it all on the floor , no matter what the circumstances. He may score only 5 points , but he did everything else a man could do to make up for not scoring , including carring the water bucket and towels to help his team.

Paul Pierce ccould play like this , never die I'll carry the team on back, so can KG, but they are getting too old to pull it off anymore. They know it and thats why they have given Rondo the Keys.

CP3 always seems to know HOW & When he has to take over , like Lebron has taken 8 years to figure it out. To me this is the sign of an ALstar, being able to take over a game at  a critical point and pull the win out for your team. 

Rondo is on the verge of having CP3 type leadership ..it shows up sporatically, he is just not shown this EVERY GAME yet or when the Celtics are down and out put the team on his back and assert his will on the game a t crunch time.  D Rose could carry his team at a critical point.

One day he'll understand , its time for me to "GO" and get this win for my team.It comes natural to some players, Rondo like Lebron is figuring it out I think.

I think one thing I like about Avery Bradley , is he may have this CP3 gene of , its time for me to step up and make sure my team gets a win. Bradley seems to understand WHEN & WHAT is needed of him during a game.

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 08:00:08 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Just last year, the Celtics tried unloading him for Paul. But after last season was over, most everyone agreed Rondo was at least the #2 PG. ESPN seems to think Paul still holds the top spot.

So what do you all think, Is Rondo #1 or CP3?

At his peak, CP3 is better.  He is a more complete offensive player and is still a much better perimeter player.  Rondo is catching up in that area.

Rondo is a superior athlete and has the dynamic ability to be a better defender.  But Chris Paul is a good defensive PG as well, and is arguably a better defender day in and day out.  CP3 lead the league in steals last year.

CP3 deals out a ton of assists too, just a few shy of Rondo's league leading average last year.

But the biggest difference comes from how the two players protect the ball.  Rondo is far more careless and averages more than one turnover more per game than CP3.  Rondo is flashier, and this leads to some of that, but I think he is also less aware of how his turnovers impact the Celtics team play.

If Rondo could keep his turnovers under 3 a game, it would be a different story.  I can't give him the nod over CP3 when he is giving the other team more chances to win every night.

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 08:58:40 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Nothing of my opinion has changed.

Paul is a top 5 player in the NBA (top 4 more accurately)

Rondo is a top 5 PG.

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 09:13:47 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80

Rondo is a top 5 PG.

I agree with the above.  I'd actually go as far as to say that CP3 might even be Top 3 (LeBron and Dwight ahead of him).

Rondo is on the next level, probably below a healthy Rose and alongside Westbrook, Parker, DeRon, and with Kyrie fast approaching.

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 09:37:12 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
But the biggest difference comes from how the two players protect the ball.  Rondo is far more careless and averages more than one turnover more per game than CP3.  Rondo is flashier, and this leads to some of that, but I think he is also less aware of how his turnovers impact the Celtics team play.

If Rondo could keep his turnovers under 3 a game, it would be a different story.  I can't give him the nod over CP3 when he is giving the other team more chances to win every night.

Rondo turns the ball over more than Paul during the season, Paul turns the ball over more than Rondo during the playoffs. I can live with that.

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 09:49:13 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Even if you think Chris Paul is still better, Rondo has certainly at least closed the gap by a decent amount. I think he looks more like the second best pg than the 5th best when lumping him in that top 5 pg category and probably pretty close to being a top 10 player.

I think we will learn even more after this year. Paul is in his second year with the clippers and shouldn't have many excuses to not make a run in the playoffs and Deron Williams should certainly have enough ammo to make a run as well.

If Rondo gets to the ECF again and these guys teams fizzle out I think it will build his case even further.

I think Rondo certainly gets overlooked for his ability to run the team and make players around him better. Guys like Bradley and Bass, among others, have certainly benefitted from playing with Rondo. I feel like people just give credit to those guys and forget that a big reason for their successful play has to do with Rondo

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 10:10:50 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80

Rondo turns the ball over more than Paul during the season, Paul turns the ball over more than Rondo during the playoffs. I can live with that.

CP3 also (per 36 minutes) tallies more points and assists in playoff games than Rondo.  I can live with that, but I could certainly live with CP3 as a Celtic too.  Probably live a little better.

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 10:48:20 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
All I know is if it is the playoffs and I get to pick one PG in the league to run my team so that my team can win that game, I am taking Rajon Rondo 100 times out of 100.

When it comes to desire for winning and showing up when it matters the most, I want Rondo.

To me, that makes him the best.

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 10:49:12 AM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle
Stats are indeed important, but you can't really rely on them all the time. Chris Paul is good but he doesn't have that leadership mentality, when he goes the team goes. He did a great thing w/ the Clips but the all-so hyped and flashy Lob City got hammered by the "old, washed up" Spurs.

And how come when we play the Clippers/the Hornets before, Rondo almost always outplayed CP? Rondo is on a whole new level with his improved scoring and leader role and that not only makes him the best PG in the league, but a Top 5 player in general and a legitimate MVP candidate.
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 10:49:32 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Overall, I'd still say Paul is a bit better, but the gap is narrowing and Rondo's case is getting stronger.

Dollar-for-dollar it's no contest, which may be more important from a team perspective.  But it's high praise for Rondo to be in the conversation; he's come a long way since 06. 

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 11:13:06 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Stats are indeed important, but you can't really rely on them all the time. Chris Paul is good but he doesn't have that leadership mentality, when he goes the team goes. He did a great thing w/ the Clips but the all-so hyped and flashy Lob City got hammered by the "old, washed up" Spurs.

And how come when we play the Clippers/the Hornets before, Rondo almost always outplayed CP? Rondo is on a whole new level with his improved scoring and leader role and that not only makes him the best PG in the league, but a Top 5 player in general and a legitimate MVP candidate.

He doesn't have leadership qualities?  Based on what?

I saw him leave a playoff team and they became a sure lotto team.  I saw him join a young looking from the outside team and lead them to the 2nd round. 

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 11:20:49 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Chris Paul still has the edge, if only because in the last two minutes of a game, there's literally nobody in the world you'd have rather have the ball in their hands than Chris Paul.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 11:24:24 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Chris Paul is the most overrated player in the game and done the least to be put on the pedestal hes on...he hasn't made the 3rd round of the playoffs ever or been an mvp candidate since 2007...really his only great year and he continues to live off it...he quit on the hornets and the only people who think hes the best are fantasy nerds who only see him play a couple times a season...hes a fraud and its truly comical ive heard people saying hes better than Isaiah Thomas HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAJAJAJAHA

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2012, 11:26:11 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Top 3 PG (and gap is closing)

Top 10 player

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 11:28:13 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176

Rondo is a top 5 PG.

On what planet has Chris Paul earned top 5 player in the game...honestly.
Oh yeah...nothing...earn that in the playoffs