Author Topic: Chris Paul Still better than Rondo?  (Read 18628 times)

Re: Chris Paul Still better than Rondo?
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2012, 01:00:28 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
People will continue to make excuses for Paul and continue to state that Rondo gets to play with 3 HOF even though said HOF's were certainly past their prime.

Clippers were supposedly title contenders last year and then fell flat on their face and people made excuses. Now clippers are supposedly title contenders this year but everyone is already lining up excuses for them.

Paul apparently turns his team into a title contender but at the same time has little chance of making a playoff run due to his supporting cast. My god that's laughable

They made it the 2nd round?  How is it falling on their face?

And just because Paul is a better player, how is that a slight at Rondo who is a top 5 PG?

Ok the clips barely made into the second round (with homecourt?) And then had about as an embarrassing second round as you can have. To a team that pretty much got smoked in the WCF.

Are the clippers a title contending team this year? It seems many people think they are including several people you quoted in this thread (for some unknown reason). So how well should a title contending team with Paul do?

They were the 5th seed against Memphis.  (and Paul played really well to push them over the edge)

« Reply #136 on: November 15, 2012, 02:05:05 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
People will continue to make excuses for Paul and continue to state that Rondo gets to play with 3 HOF even though said HOF's were certainly past their prime.

Clippers were supposedly title contenders last year and then fell flat on their face and people made excuses. Now clippers are supposedly title contenders this year but everyone is already lining up excuses for them.

Paul apparently turns his team into a title contender but at the same time has little chance of making a playoff run due to his supporting cast. My god that's laughable

And just because Paul is a better player, how is that a slight at Rondo who is a top 5 PG?

Ok the clips barely made into the second round (with homecourt?) And then had about as an embarrassing second round as you can have. To a team that pretty much got smoked in the WCF.

Are the clippers a title contending team this year? It seems many people think they are including several people you quoted in this thread (for some unknown reason). So how well should a title contending team with Paul do?

They were the 5th seed against Memphis.  (and Paul played really well to push them over the edge)

Wasn't z bo hurt and a nick young buzzer beater the difference? And what happened against Tony parker? Chris Paul isn't a top 5 player...I don't even see how you could even put him over a dirk nowitzki who has an mvp and recently led his average team to a title.....if you think Chris Paul is the greatest pg ever fine but when I watch him I don't see anything special after watching rondo regularly, if you think hes better Bc of free throw shooting....fine so be it but you still overrate him

« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2012, 02:07:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Wasn't z bo hurt and a nick young buzzer beater the difference? And what happened against Tony parker? Chris Paul isn't a top 5 player...I don't even see how you could even put him over a dirk nowitzki who has an mvp and recently led his average team to a title.....if you think Chris Paul is the greatest pg ever fine but when I watch him I don't see anything special after watching rondo regularly, if you think hes better Bc of free throw shooting....fine so be it but you still overrate him

Who said he is the greatest ever? 

And did I say he was better because of FT shooting?

And if I am overrating him, then so are most of his peers that play with and against him. 

And yes, the Clippers lost to a Spurs team that had posted the best record that season. 

« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2012, 02:09:12 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I think you underrate him if you're putting him behind Dirk Nowitzki or outside the top-5.

LeBron, Dwight, Durant, Chris Paul, in that order.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #139 on: November 15, 2012, 02:11:45 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I think you underrate him if you're putting him behind Dirk Nowitzki or outside the top-5.

Yep.

That 5th guy is the hardest one to name. 

« Reply #140 on: November 15, 2012, 02:14:17 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

Who said he is the greatest ever? 

And did I say he was better because of FT shooting?

And if I am overrating him, then so are most of his peers that play with and against him. 

And yes, the Clippers lost to a Spurs team that had posted the best record that season.

Shouldnt the best pg in the game be able to carve up an average defensive spurs team like Russell westbrook and James harden for even 1 win in that series? Oh well its the furthest hes been in the playoffs so congrats to that. He had a case for top 5 player in 1 season the year we won the title.

« Reply #141 on: November 15, 2012, 02:17:23 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

In 2007? How is he even better then carmelo or Kobe or rose? Sorry not seeing it hes done nothing to prove otherwise....he has a good chance to prove me wrong because if hes as good as you say the clippers could be in the finals and should be in the conference finals

« Reply #142 on: November 15, 2012, 02:25:28 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
If you replace dirk nowitzki wit Chris Paul on the mavericks title team do you make it out of the first round? Sorry not a top player...top pg sure...better than rondo? Eh barely

« Reply #143 on: November 15, 2012, 02:49:32 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
If you replace dirk nowitzki wit Chris Paul on the mavericks title team do you make it out of the first round? Sorry not a top player...top pg sure...better than rondo? Eh barely

Are you of the opinion that if you replaced Dirk Nowinski, one of the most dominate big men of this generation, with Rajon Rondo, they go any farther? For sure not.

All your analogy proves is that a game breaking 7 footer is more valuable than a Point Guard. Shocking Stuff
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2012, 03:14:55 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I must say, per 36 min or per 48 min adjusted stats are absolute garbage.

Who cares what two different players stats would look like if they played the same amount of time.  Being able to be on the court for more minutes is a "talent" in and of itself.  Conversely, it could very easily be argued that if the player who plays less minutes tried to play more they would become a net negative on-court.  Ths also assumes the player they are being replaced with s contributing at least as much, which is totally unreliable.
exactly, and whos to say that certain players dont turn it on at different times of a game. Why should somebody be rewarded for playing less minutes. Stupid arguement. Tp for you.

« Reply #145 on: November 15, 2012, 03:20:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Yep.

That 5th guy is the hardest one to name.
In our fantasy basketball league, someone took James Harden 5th.   Definitely the hardest to name.  Chris Paul is one of the top 4, though.

If we're just looking at stats... Kevin Love is in the top 5.

« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2012, 03:41:55 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Chris Paul looked awesome last night.  He's unstoppable when he wants to be.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2012, 03:58:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Shouldnt the best pg in the game be able to carve up an average defensive spurs team like Russell westbrook and James harden for even 1 win in that series?
No. Teams win playoff games not individuals.

Some of the best PGs ever to play never won a championship or never won one while in their prime while starring for a team. When it comes to playoff basketball having a great PG on your team might be the position you least want to have your team star playing.

« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2012, 04:17:57 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

And Clippers with Dirk? Are they making it past even Grizzlies with Dirk in place of Paul?

This is basketball and these are humans we are talking about, not plug-in devices.
Unfortunately, things don't work out like that.
There isn't a single player who can single-handedly take his team to a championship-winning caliber on his own in this league. Not even LeBron James, who is way above the others the way he's playing.
Because if he was able to, he would stay where he was and won a title there, but he knew he himself was never going to be enough to win it all by himself.

« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2012, 04:32:01 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I think this discussion is complicated by people's irritation at how Paul and Deron Williams have been regularly rated above Rondo, even though neither one has been able to win at the level you'd expect from the "best point guard in the league".

Mike

Which would make a ton of sense if basketball were an individual sport, sadly it is a team sport.

By the same token the "team sport" aspect is at the heart of many of the pro Rondo arguments. Rondo impacts the game in so many ways that his contribution to the team is generally greater than many players that put up better stats than him.

While that is true about Rondo, it is also true about Paul.

More true about Paul than any other pg Rondo's compared to, but less true (IMO) than it is about Rondo, especially in the playoffs.

I'd disagree with that, both in the season and the playoffs, but I guess that can be subjective since it is impossible to truly quantify.

My feeling is Rondo's able to take over games on a fairly regular basis without scoring more than a handful of points. That's awfully rare for players that aren't shot-blocking rebounders like Wallace/Mutombo or the like. I agree it's hard to quantify.