Author Topic: Chris Paul Still better than Rondo?  (Read 18621 times)

Re: Chris Paul Still better than Rondo?
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2012, 09:34:50 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I guess we should knock Rondo for the same thing.  Since he became the star he is, the Celtics haven't won a title.  Haven't been to the Finals.

The Celts went to the finals in 2010.

And Rondo was not the player he is now yet.  That was still clearly Pierce/KG's team.

I still think this type of thinking is pointless.  Rondo who has improved has not gotten as far as a young with lots of room for growth Rondo.  Now Rondo is still clearly better.  The rest of the team has taken steps back prevented titles in those years, not Rondo's talent.

But some are knocking Paul for not getting his team past the Lakers, Spurs, Mavs or Thunder? 

« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2012, 09:39:27 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I guess we should knock Rondo for the same thing.  Since he became the star he is, the Celtics haven't won a title.  Haven't been to the Finals.

"If we had Chris Paul we would have won the title"

If we had Chris Paul we could have easily lost to the Cavs.

« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2012, 09:54:09 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

And Rondo was not the player he is now yet.  That was still clearly Pierce/KG's team.

Rondo was quite a player back then, many people just hadn't figured it out yet because they were too focused on his shooting and his attitude. 14/10 during the season, all-star, 1st team all-defense, finished 3rd among point guards and well higher than PP or KG in all-nba voting. Led the league in steals, 4th in assists/game. He was the main reason we got past the Cavs and widely seen as one of the league's top playoff performers (16/6/9).

« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2012, 09:55:51 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Lol@ the clippers not having a good enough roster to make the finals.
Watching the clippers Chris Paul hardly pops off the screen after watching rondo regularly, sorry

It is unknown at this point.  It depends on the growth of Griffin. 

He still has to get past two players that would be considered top 5 players with a lot more talent.  (Durrant and Howard)  Not to mention the West version of the Celtics, the Spurs. 

? Another myth. The celtics made the finals in 2010 and rondo was there best player in the playoffs and outplayed lebron in the cavaliers series with one of the most epic games of the era...and had a triple double in game 1 of the finals and the lakers were keyed on stopping rondo to behead the celtics. In 2007 he was a role player.

« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2012, 09:58:15 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

I still think this type of thinking is pointless.  Rondo who has improved has not gotten as far as a young with lots of room for growth Rondo.  Now Rondo is still clearly better.  The rest of the team has taken steps back prevented titles in those years, not Rondo's talent.

But some are knocking Paul for not getting his team past the Lakers, Spurs, Mavs or Thunder?

Uh that was kgs worst year as a Celtic...he was a shell of himself in 2010 coming off injury and was dominated by gasol in he finals....rondo carried us there moreso then pierce and kg in those playoffs...sorry

« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2012, 10:01:16 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Watching the clippers Chris Paul hardly pops off the screen after watching rondo regularly, sorry

He still has to get past two players that would be considered top 5 players with a lot more talent.  (Durrant and Howard)  Not to mention the West version of the Celtics, the Spurs. 

? Another myth. The celtics made the finals in 2010 and rondo was there best player in the playoffs and outplayed lebron in the cavaliers series with one of the most epic games of the era...and had a triple double in game 1 of the finals and the lakers were keyed on stopping rondo to behead the celtics. In 2007 he was a role player.

Fact, the Celtics defense creamed all the top swingmen that season.  (Lebron and Kobe) 

The differences in the Celtics winning and losing was the talent level of the other team's big man. 

« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2012, 10:01:27 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

Rondo was quite a player back then, many people just hadn't figured it out yet because they were too focused on his shooting and his attitude. 14/10 during the season, all-star, 1st team all-defense, finished 3rd among point guards and well higher than PP or KG in all-nba voting. Led the league in steals, 4th in assists/game. He was the main reason we got past the Cavs and widely seen as one of the league's top playoff performers (16/6/9).

Exactly...tp

« Reply #112 on: November 15, 2012, 10:04:40 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

Fact, the Celtics defense creamed all the top swingmen that season.  (Lebron and Kobe) 

The differences in the Celtics winning and losing was the talent level of the other team's big man.

Grasping for straws I see...we made it past the best big man in the league that year to make the finals and rondo was the best Celtic in that series as well

« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2012, 10:09:13 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
And all of this "discussion" has absolutely no bearing on the actual question of the thread. 

KG wasn't the player with the T-Wolves that he was in Boston because:

a)  He must have quit on his team.  They were in the lotto and he wanted to be traded.  (this also makes him lacking in the leadership department)
b)  He did not make it to the finals.

These are the main arguments against Paul right now. 

« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2012, 10:10:58 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
And all of this "discussion" has absolutely no bearing on the actual question of the thread. 

KG wasn't the player with the T-Wolves that he was in Boston because:

a)  He must have quit on his team.  They were in the lotto and he wanted to be traded.  (this also makes him lacking in the leadership department)
b)  He did not make it to the finals.

These are the main arguments against Paul right now.

Also, if you say anything that could possibly be perceived as a slight on Rondo's game, you're going to get jumped on by some posters on these forums.  Even the smallest item seems to get harped on.  It's a joke.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2012, 10:11:27 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Grasping for straws I see...we made it past the best big man in the league that year to make the finals and rondo was the best Celtic in that series as well

No.  Both Lebron and Kobe played well under their averages against the Celtics.  I have pointed this out in the past when posters would use Lebron's numbers (which were better then Kobe) vs. the Celtics in the playoffs as evidence that he quit. 

And no where did I say Rondo didn't play great and was an important piece of the puzzle.  Rondo is just better now.

« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2012, 10:21:18 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I'm gonna answer this at the end of this year. I think they are close. They both have the talent *Teams* to make a serious push for the NBA finals this year. Neither are the favorites but that doesn't mean their team can't pull it off if their floor general steps up in a big way in big games in the playoffs. Lets see which PG steps up and pushes their team there if either can even do it.

« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2012, 11:15:57 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170

I disagree. The team that went to the finals was a big 3 made up of Pierce, KG and Rondo team. Saying otherwise is discounting the work and heart Rondo poured into that playoff run.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #118 on: November 15, 2012, 11:23:16 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I think this discussion is complicated by people's irritation at how Paul and Deron Williams have been regularly rated above Rondo, even though neither one has been able to win at the level you'd expect from the "best point guard in the league".

Mike

« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2012, 11:26:57 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
I think this discussion is complicated by people's irritation at how Paul and Deron Williams have been regularly rated above Rondo, even though neither one has been able to win at the level you'd expect from the "best point guard in the league".

Mike

Which would make a ton of sense if basketball were an individual sport, sadly it is a team sport.  Maybe Derek Fisher is the best point guard in the league.  Perhaps Mario Chalmers was the best point guard in the league last year.