Author Topic: Chris Paul Still better than Rondo?  (Read 18627 times)

Chris Paul Still better than Rondo?
« on: November 14, 2012, 12:40:12 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Just last year, the Celtics tried unloading him for Paul. But after last season was over, most everyone agreed Rondo was at least the #2 PG. ESPN seems to think Paul still holds the top spot.

So what do you all think, Is Rondo #1 or CP3?

Re: Chris Paul Still better than Rondo?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 12:49:08 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
rondo is the best. CP3 is a flopping loser who couldnt do half the passes that rondo makes.

oh and lets stop with the "pure point guard" insanity. Rondo is the best point guard, period.

rondo in the bulls game...1 rebound & 5 steals away from a quadruple-double and making NBA history...and they say Rondo not the best point guard in the league
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:06:45 AM by lightspeed5 »

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 01:45:39 AM »

fitzhickey

rondo is the best. CP3 is a flopping loser who couldnt do half the passes that rondo makes.

oh and lets stop with the "pure point guard" insanity. Rondo is the best point guard, period.
This
Rondo is an improved scorer and an improved his passing (somehow)

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 02:11:26 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I love Rondo to death and love how much he has grown in the past year and the role he is taking.

2 points on why i still think CP3 is just above rondo on the list. If he needs to do it i think Paul has a greater ability to just take over when needed than rondo does at this point in time. And this is nitpicking at its finest, but Paul just turns the ball over less than Rondo does.

No doubt in my mind though that if this continues Rondo is on his way to another all star appearence, only ones that are gonna stand in his way D will and Jrue Holiday

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 03:04:39 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
IMHO from what i've seen these past 2 seasons, Rondo is the better player. He has shown that he can carry the squad and is a better defender.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 03:36:23 AM »

Offline ozman

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
I was thinking about this today, personally as much as i hate him i still think cp3 is better. Here are stats from the first 7 games. so far this year chris paul is on par with rondos assist rate, and has a better assist to turnover ratio. and we know chris paul is a better shooter/scorer.

It can be misleading after 7 games,(Jason kidds ast/to is 14?)

mpg    apg       ap48     ast/to
Rondo     40.7   13         15.3     3.64
Paul      32.9   10.3        15      5.14

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 04:00:57 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Chris Paul is better.  No question. 

Rondo is probably not even #2.  That said... through 7 games, Rondo is actually barely outperforming Chris Paul.  Rondo has an Efficiency number of 24.9 and Chris Paul has 24.6.  So technically, Rondo has had second best stats of any point guard (Kyle Lowry is #1)... through 7 games. Last year Rondo was 5th and the year before that he was 7th... Chris Paul is constantly #1. 

It should be noted, though... through 7 games, Rondo is averaging 8 more minutes per night... hence the slightly better stats.  Their EFF per 48 minutes has Chris Paul well ahead of Rondo with 35.82 and Rondo behind Lowry, Jeff Teague and Kyrie Irving with 29.56.  It's only been 7 games, though... we'll see how the season plays out.   

Chris Paul is the best point guard in the league.  Rondo leads the league in assists.  Hard to argue against either of these statements.     
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:06:34 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 04:31:32 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
CP3 is still better, but Rondo is catching him.
Rondo plays so many minutes so you can't compare his per minute numbers- he plays all game and then has to come up clutch when he's exhausted.

We'll see how Rondo's shooting is after 40 games and then I'll make my mind up.
Chris Paul is a pick and roll master, he can shoot the 3, he can shoot the 15 footer, he's almost as good a passer as Rondo and he's probably a slightly better floor general. Rondo is the better athlete and has the potential to much better than Chris Paul if he gets a 3 point shot developed after he perfects his rapidly improving jumpshot.

CP3 but only slightly. If CP3 wasn't injured he'd be the best PG by quite a bit in my opinion.

Of course now there is Damian Lillard to think about...what a beast.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 04:32:23 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

rondo in the bulls game...1 rebound & 5 steals away from a quadruple-double and making NBA history...and they say Rondo not the best point guard in the league

not to nit pick, but 'only' 5 steals away from a quadruple double? lol
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 05:15:26 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Rondo plays so many minutes so you can't compare his per minute numbers- he plays all game and then has to come up clutch when he's exhausted.

Chris Paul is a pick and roll master, he can shoot the 3, he can shoot the 15 footer, he's almost as good a passer as Rondo and he's probably a slightly better floor general. Rondo is the better athlete and has the potential to much better than Chris Paul if he gets a 3 point shot developed after he perfects his rapidly improving jumpshot.

CP3 but only slightly. If CP3 wasn't injured he'd be the best PG by quite a bit in my opinion.

Yeah... Rondo is catching up to Chris Paul with that silky smooth 50% free throw shooting.  It's ok... the young pup is only 27 years old... a whole 8 months younger than chris Paul.  It's only a matter of time until he becomes a sharp shooter... Only a matter of time.  Rondo will surely deliver... let's just wait.

Lol I'm just kidding around.  But seriously though... with children like 20 year old Kyrie Irving already technically outperforming Rondo (per 48 minutes), I don't think we'll ever officially be able to declare Rondo as the best PG in the league.  He's one of the best though.  Definitely top 5 PG right now.

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 06:45:41 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

Yeah... Rondo is catching up to Chris Paul with that silky smooth 50% free throw shooting.  It's ok... the young pup is only 27 years old... a whole 8 months younger than chris Paul.  It's only a matter of time until he becomes a sharp shooter... Only a matter of time.  Rondo will surely deliver... let's just wait.

Lol I'm just kidding around.  But seriously though... with children like 20 year old Kyrie Irving already technically outperforming Rondo (per 48 minutes), I don't think we'll ever officially be able to declare Rondo as the best PG in the league.  He's one of the best though.  Definitely top 5 PG right now.

Yeah his free throw numbers bring him crashing back to reality behind Paul even more, his jumper has made a turn for the better reasonably fast these past 2 seasons though.
I don't think that production numbers necessarily  add up to the complete truth. Kyrie is great, but he's not better than Rondo (yet).

To me there are only four or 5 PGs who can take over a playoff game and put the other team at their mercy.

Rose
Paul
Rondo
Westbrook
Deron

I think Irving and Lillard will join this group soon.
 Out of those above, only Paul, Rondo, Deron and Irving are true 'generals' of the floor, guys who can control their own team and control the game by facilitating to their shooters and each of their team mates strengths and weaknesses.
Nash gets an honorable mention but he's an old dude now.

Rose, Paul and Rondo are the only ones who could get 40 points, 15 assists and 10 rebounds or 5 steals in the most important game of their lives- they are on another level to me.

At the end of the day, CP3 is the man to beat as PG.

I guess Rondo is default Eastern conference All Star starting PG this season with Rose out.

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 06:57:14 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Rondo is probably not even #2.  That said... through 7 games, Rondo is actually barely outperforming Chris Paul.  Rondo has an Efficiency number of 24.9 and Chris Paul has 24.6.  So technically, Rondo has had second best stats of any point guard (Kyle Lowry is #1)... through 7 games. Last year Rondo was 5th and the year before that he was 7th... Chris Paul is constantly #1. 

It should be noted, though... through 7 games, Rondo is averaging 8 more minutes per night... hence the slightly better stats.  Their EFF per 48 minutes has Chris Paul well ahead of Rondo with 35.82 and Rondo behind Lowry, Jeff Teague and Kyrie Irving with 29.56.  It's only been 7 games, though... we'll see how the season plays out.   

Chris Paul is the best point guard in the league.  Rondo leads the league in assists.  Hard to argue against either of these statements.   

I don't think that comparing efficiency stats is the only way to decide which point guard is playing better.

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 07:06:42 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

I don't think that comparing efficiency stats is the only way to decide which point guard is playing better.

It's handy when it suits your argument :)

I wonder who the best point guards in the playoffs have been over the past 5 years efficiency wise?

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 07:10:37 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Rondo's an animal in the playoffs. Rondo's awesome! Go Rondo!

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 07:44:26 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
I wouldn't swap Rajon for CP3 of Irving.

No way.

If they want to impress me, they can start by winning a playoff game with a dislocated elbow.