Author Topic: Jazz (4-4) at Celtics (4-3) 11/14  (Read 31129 times)

Jazz (4-4) at Celtics (4-3) 11/14
« on: November 13, 2012, 10:58:22 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11820
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
   at 
Utah Jazz (4-4) at Boston Celtics (4-3)
Wednesday, November 14, 2012
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #8, Home Game #4
TV:  CSN-NE, ROOT, NBA-LP 753
Radio:  WEEI, KZNS
TD Garden

Probable Starters

Probable Starters
PG:   Rajon Rondo 15.4 PPG  12.9 APG 2.3 SPG
SG:   Jason Terry 11.9 PPG  1.9 APG  .375 3P%
SF:    Paul Pierce 19.3 PPG  6.7 RPG  3.6 APG
PF:    Brandon Bass 10.4 PPG  6.1 RPG  0.9 BPG 
C:     Kevin Garnett 15.9 PPG  8.1 RPG  1.0 BPG 

Celtics Reserves

Jared Sullinger
Jason Collins
Courtney Lee
Jeff Green
Kris Joseph
Fab Melo
Darko Milicic
Leandro Barbosa
Chris Wilcox

Injuries

Avery Bradley (shoulders) out

Probable Starters
PG  Mo Williams 16.9 PPG  7.4 APG   1.3 SPG 
SG:  Gordon Hayward    13.9 PPG  2.0 APG  .280 3P% 
SF  Marvin Williams   10.8 PPG  4.3 RPG   0.9 APG
PF  Paul Millsap  15.6 PPG   9.4 RPG  1.5 BPG
C   Al Jefferson   15.3  PPG  11.5 RPG  0.9 BPG 

Jazz Reserves
Jamaal Tinsley
Derrick Favors
Enes Kanter
Randy Foye
Alec Burks
DeMarre Carroll
Jeremy Evans
Kevin Murphy

Injuries
Raja Bell   not with team
Earl Watson (knee)  out

Team Connections
Al Jefferson was originally drafted by the Celtics with the 15th overall pick in the 2004 NBA Draft and played for the Celtics from 2004-07
Jason Collins was teammates with Al Jefferson and Randy Foye in Minnesota during the 2008-09 season
Collins and Marvin Williams were teammates in Atlanta from 2009-12
Kevin Garnett and Randy Foye were teammates in Minnesota during the 2006-07 season
Courtney Lee and Jeremy Evans both attended Western Kentucky
Lee and DeMarre Carroll were teammates in Houston during the 2010-11 season
Chris Wilcox and Earl Watson were teammates in Seattle and Oklahoma City from 2005-09
Darko Milicic and Al Jefferson were teammates in Minnesota during the 2009-10 season.

Game Notes
The Celtics are seeking their first 3 game win streak of the season as they host former Celtic Al Jefferson and the Utah Jazz.  The Jazz have lost 3 their last 3 games against the Celtics and have a 4 game losing streak in the Garden.  The Jazz are just 1-4 on the road this season. 

These teams played just one game in the lock out shortened season last year, a 94-82 Celtics win at the Garden.  The Jazz are playing in the second of a 4 game road trip.  They are coming off a 140-133 triple OT win over the Toronto Raptors.  Up until that win, the Jazz were winless on the road, going 0-4 away from home to start the season. 

The Celtics have been more effective on the road than at home so far.  They are 3-1 on the road but just 1-2 at home.  It's important to establish dominance at home and a win here to give them a .500 record at home will be a good start.   The Celtics will be on the road Thursday to take on the Brooklyn Nets in a back to back set. 

Old friend, Al Jefferson, who played his first three seasons with the Celtics before being sent to Minnesota in the Kevin Garnett trade, has never beaten his former team in nine tries despite averaging 20.9 points over his last 7 games against his old team.  The Celtics will hope to keep that streak alive in this game.  They also would like to get their first 3 game win streak of the season as well. 

Doc has started the same lineup the past 2 games and since they won both of them, we might expect him to start the same lineup of Rondo, Terry, Pierce, Bass and KG once again.  But then again, Doc has said he will change the starters according to the matchups so he may shake it up again.  But I'm expecting the same lineup since they are riding a 2 game win streak with it. 

Key Matchups
  vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Mo Williams
As with every game, as Rondo goes, so go the Celtics.  He has been playing very well and in this game faces another veteran PG who has also been playing very well.  This should be a good matchup and the Celtics will need an aggressive Rondo to get the win. 

vs 
Kevin Garnett vs Al Jefferson
KG will be matched up against former Celtic Big Al Jefferson, who was a key member of the trade that brought KG to Boston.   Big Al has been playing well and is a handful around the basket KG will need to go inside to defend Al around the basket.  Al's defense has always been his weak link and so KG should have a good game offensively. 

Honorable Mention
Brandon Bass vs Paul Millsap 
Millsap is a tough matchup and has been playing well.  Bass will need to up his defense to keep Millsap's scoring down and he will also need to box out as Millsap is a danger around the hoop and a good rebounder. 

Keys to the Game
Defense  As always, the Celtics will need to make defense a priority in this game as the Jazz have some very good scorers and the Celtics will have trouble winning a shoot out between them.  The Jazz scored 140 points in their last game.   We saw some signs in the last game that the Celtics defense is coming around.  They need to show up defensively once again in this game.   

Rebound The Celtics need to be aggressive in crashing the boards as a team.  Utah is a good rebounding team, ranked 6th, pulling down 44.9 rebounds per game.  The Celtics are once again ranked last with only 37.3 rebounds per game.   They need to  put out extra  effort on the boards to limit second chance points and fast breaks for the Jazz. 

Bench   The Celtics second unit is still finding its way and building chemistry. The Celtics need to get contributions from their reserves.  With Terry in the starting unit, others need to step up and contribute to the scoring when the starters get a rest.   

Be Aggressive   The Celtics need to continue where they left off in their win over the Bulls by being the more aggressive team.   Sometimes the Celtics play passive and when they do, they always struggle and always seem to pick up a lot more fouls.  The Celtics must be aggressive and go strong to the basket, go after loose balls and crash the boards. 

X-Factors

Home Court 
The Celtics are 1-2 at home and they need to establish themselves at home so that teams fear coming into the Garden.  Home court is only an advantage when the team plays better at home.  They need to feed off of the crowd to motivate them to the win. 

Re: Jazz (4-4) at Celtics (4-3) 11/14
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 11:08:23 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
GO Cs....

first TP of the year from me to you Fl, I have been a  little distracted this year

(I dont know why Darko is on the healthy list)
I know is opfficial but i dont buy it
I read the Wilcox is doing well but he was out before Wilcox doing well

we will see tomorrow

and yes, this game its a great test against paint job

I really really really want them to deliver in this one
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 02:57:54 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
TP

Let's continue to roll and get some real momentum going.

Plus let's give Boston something to cheer about. Home fans have been treated to some horrid basketball so far.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 03:47:20 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
TP. Go Celtics!

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 07:52:04 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
I've got a good feeling in my bones about this game.

Here's hoping the Jazz are feeling wiped out from their triple overtime game vs Toronto two days ago.

C'mon Cs!  ;D

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 08:14:08 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
TP...Looking for an awesome game tonight. Both teams are on a roll and seem well matched.

C's have a huge advantage with Rondo, Lee and Terry at the guard spots. Play makers and shooters.

The key will be our guards driving the ball into the paint and making the correct play/pass.

Doc can get Rondo to play a good Celtic tempo , and be agressive feeding the ball inside to Bass and Green for easy buckets.

If Darko is healthy...this would be a GREAT time to have his defensive presence when KG is sitting. 

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 08:51:41 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i agree with shaqattack's points. the celtics are too willing to settle for 18 to 20 foot jump shots far too often. they need to drive to the basket, and maybe let sullinger play some minutes as well.

go celtics!!!!! and a tp for fl, thanks again.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 08:53:07 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Terry against Haywood will be....interesting.

Another test for the C's ability to defend their glass against the Jazz's many bigs.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 02:18:16 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Another test for the C's ability to defend their glass against the Jazz's many bigs.

My money's on JET demolishing Hayward, scalping him, and wearing that mop as a victory wig for his post-game interview.

The first question, of course, will be "why did you feel the need to scalp Hayward as the buzzer sounded?"

And the JET will smile, flex his Larrycaun tattoo and mumble something about "voices" while Tommy and Mike cheer and the fans will go wild.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 02:25:41 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

My money's on JET demolishing Hayward, scalping him, and wearing that mop as a victory wig for his post-game interview.

The first question, of course, will be "why did you feel the need to scalp Hayward as the buzzer sounded?"

And the JET will smile, flex his Larrycaun tattoo and mumble something about "voices" while Tommy and Mike cheer and the fans will go wild.
I think Terry will get plenty of open shots on Hayward, but I worry that he'll also get several wide open 3s in return with his length (or rebounds).

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 02:34:12 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

I think Terry will get plenty of open shots on Hayward, but I worry that he'll also get several wide open 3s in return with his length (or rebounds).

Consider:

Friday the 13th, a machete-wielding Jason Vorhees terrorizes a bunch of people who look like Gordon Hayward.

Wednesday the 14th,, a headband-wielding Jason Terry terrorizes a dude who is Gordon Hayward.

It's science.

Jason Terry. The New Face of Fear.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 02:46:55 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'd like to see Jeff Green get extended minutes alongside Pierce against Gordon Hayward.

Hayward struggles with physically powerful SFs and both Pierce + Green are well equipped to take full advantage of that.

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 02:57:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I'd like to see Jeff Green get extended minutes alongside Pierce against Gordon Hayward.

Hayward struggles with physically powerful SFs and both Pierce + Green are well equipped to take full advantage of that.
Plus if you go big with Green/Pierce hopefully they can pick up a few rebounds that might otherwise get scooped up by the Jazz.

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 03:31:25 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I'm going to be extremely annoyed with another poor showing at home. Looking back on the Big 3 era now I realize our biggest playoff failures has been not capitalizing on tough road wins by protecting our homecourt. I really want to see us go back to being an intimidating home team.

Mo and Marvin Williams play in Utah now? Wow I missed a number of offseason moves.

TP FLCF. Go C's!
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 04:03:13 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I'm not so excited about the size Utah can bring off the bench, though.

Favors will give Sully and Bass all they can handle at the 4.

Also, when did Kanter stop being "fat?"