Author Topic: Demarcus Cousins suspended again, this time for going after Sean Elliott  (Read 4470 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
The NBA has suspended DeMarcus Cousins for two games without pay after a Friday confrontation with Sean Elliot, who is an announcer for the Spurs.

Elliot criticized Cousins for talking trash toward Tim Duncan during the game.

Cousins sought out Elliot after he was informed of the comments and had a confrontation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9u7ZDLoH-I

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/224440/Cousins_Suspended_Two_Games_For_Confrontation_With_Sean_Elliot

maybe if he gets suspended a few times we could trade bradley and sully plus picks

Re: Demarcus Cousins suspended again, this time for going after Sean Elliott
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 02:22:03 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I like how the Ball don't lie peeps were defending him.

People make way too big a deal out of stupid things

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 02:39:51 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Unless he actually hit Elliot or something, I think this was a bit extreme.  Players go at members of the media (verbally) all the time, and don't get suspended for it.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 03:09:03 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Unless he actually hit Elliot or something, I think this was a bit extreme.  Players go at members of the media (verbally) all the time, and don't get suspended for it.

I'd imagine his history of behavioral issues had a lot to do with it.

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 03:10:46 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I'd imagine his history of behavioral issues had a lot to do with it.

I am sure it does.  But this may open up a bit of a precedent going forward. 

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 03:15:17 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Another take here (which revealed some things about Sean Elliott I did not know):

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/demarcus-cousins-got-confusing-suspension-confronting-spurs-commentator-033627383--nba.html

Interesting how player reputations seem to matter so much in decisions like this. If Cousins or Ron Artest does something like this, we get a suspension. I bet if Steve Nash or Kevin Durant does it (or maybe Tim Duncan!), it's a non-issue.

I'm not sure what to think about that...is a consistent set of rules for everyone the right way to go? Or one that also takes into account past behavior? I can see an argument either way.

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 03:31:04 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Another take here (which revealed some things about Sean Elliott I did not know):

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/demarcus-cousins-got-confusing-suspension-confronting-spurs-commentator-033627383--nba.html

Interesting how player reputations seem to matter so much in decisions like this. If Cousins or Ron Artest does something like this, we get a suspension. I bet if Steve Nash or Kevin Durant does it (or maybe Tim Duncan!), it's a non-issue.

I'm not sure what to think about that...is a consistent set of rules for everyone the right way to go? Or one that also takes into account past behavior? I can see an argument either way.

TP for finally allowing me to see some sort of story on this. I kept searching for what actually happened and like the article says the press release didnt even scratch the surface on this. What a dumb suspension. I get that some players have bad reps but I mean come on. This is an extremely non issue.

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 03:38:03 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

TP for finally allowing me to see some sort of story on this. I kept searching for what actually happened and like the article says the press release didnt even scratch the surface on this. What a dumb suspension. I get that some players have bad reps but I mean come on. This is an extremely non issue.

He bad mouthed Tommy! 

I am done listening. 

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 03:51:14 PM »

Online letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
Danny should go after Demarcus.

Doc and KG would straighten him out in a week.  He would give us inside scoring and rebounding, as well as a young running partner for Rondo.

Bradley, Melo, Bass, two 1st rounders for Cousins

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 03:52:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Doc and KG would straighten him out in a week.  He would give us inside scoring and rebounding, as well as a young running partner for Rondo.

KG and Doc are not the miracle workers.  Can we stop thinking by just putting an immature but talented player on the team that they will suddenly make them grow up?

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 03:57:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

KG and Doc are not the miracle workers.  Can we stop thinking by just putting an immature but talented player on the team that they will suddenly make them grow up?

While I agree with you completely, I also would add that Demarcus is worth the risk.  There is SO much talent there. 

But Sacramento sees that talent too, so they aren't giving him away.

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 04:22:13 PM »

Online letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279

They may not be miracle workers, but do you think Demarcus would try half the stuff he does with KG looming over him?

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 04:26:02 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

They may not be miracle workers, but do you think Demarcus would try half the stuff he does with KG looming over him?

Honestly, KG might not have a huge problem with the stuff he does.  In a lot of ways Demarcus is like KG without a filter. 

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 04:38:37 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
What a joke. Definitely bad precedent. And 2 games as appose to 1? Comic relief.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 04:45:01 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170

Yeah I've about given up on the theory KG and Doc can whip any big man into shape. Perk is their only success story and Perk's work ethic and desire to win is amazing. POB, Mikki Moore, Sheed, Sheldon Williams, Ryan Hollins, JJJ, I feel I've left someone off that list. All these guys left the Celtics basically the same players they were when they came in. At this point, I'm fine with sacrificing some talent for maturity/motivation etc.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.