Author Topic: How important is Avery Bradley?  (Read 3742 times)

Re: How important is Avery Bradley?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 06:56:36 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
one of the biggest things about avery coming back is putting Lee on the bench where he probably belongs.

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Very very important. He is a trigger to our defense.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 10:47:24 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Before the season started, he really didn't factor for me, but now that the season is going along, I think he'll become vital. It'll really transform our team both defensively and offensively, I miss his cuts to the basket, something I thought Lee would be doing more of.

Also, guard rotation will be vastly improved.

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 01:27:18 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Working under the assumption that he comes back healthy, it comes down to the one thing that sets him apart.

Bradley is an all-NBA defender who is young as heck and just beginning to show an offensive game that, rough as it is, can put in 12 a night, including a few for the highlight reel.  His defense can give a whole team an identity, though.  He can take a game over in crucial minutes with stops and defensive intensity.

The other guards we have are literally a collection of 6th man candidates:  former 6POY winners in JET and Barbosa, plus Courtney Lee, who seems like a nice big guard that could look really good off the bench.  None of those guys are all-NBA anything, though.

So how important is Bradley?  It could be the difference between being good, middle-of-the-playoff-pack 2nd round regular hoping things come together (basically, that two 6POY = 1 Allstar at the right time), and being an elite team and perhaps contender.

I think there's a reason the other three SG's have had their greatest success as 6th men.  Terry's undersizedness and questionable D are masked, and his offensive talent is maximized.  Barbosa's aggressiveness and experience shine, and he can cover for his size.  Lee is just more of a journeyman.

Bradley is elite at something, and that sets him apart.  I think we have a stronger case  to be a contender with what Bradley brings than any other guard, save Rondo.

With a healthy Rondo and Bradley in the playoffs, we could probably get away with only one of the three other guards, and it probably doesn't matter that much which one it is.

Bradley is pretty important, IMO.  I think he's also first to get traded, so go figure.

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 01:43:21 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
The lineup of Rondo/AB/Bass/KG/Pierce allowed 81 points per 100 possessions.

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 09:00:34 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Working under the assumption that he comes back healthy, it comes down to the one thing that sets him apart.

Bradley is an all-NBA defender who is young as heck and just beginning to show an offensive game that, rough as it is, can put in 12 a night, including a few for the highlight reel.  His defense can give a whole team an identity, though.  He can take a game over in crucial minutes with stops and defensive intensity.

The other guards we have are literally a collection of 6th man candidates:  former 6POY winners in JET and Barbosa, plus Courtney Lee, who seems like a nice big guard that could look really good off the bench.  None of those guys are all-NBA anything, though.

So how important is Bradley?  It could be the difference between being good, middle-of-the-playoff-pack 2nd round regular hoping things come together (basically, that two 6POY = 1 Allstar at the right time), and being an elite team and perhaps contender.

I think there's a reason the other three SG's have had their greatest success as 6th men.  Terry's undersizedness and questionable D are masked, and his offensive talent is maximized.  Barbosa's aggressiveness and experience shine, and he can cover for his size.  Lee is just more of a journeyman.

Bradley is elite at something, and that sets him apart.  I think we have a stronger case  to be a contender with what Bradley brings than any other guard, save Rondo.

With a healthy Rondo and Bradley in the playoffs, we could probably get away with only one of the three other guards, and it probably doesn't matter that much which one it is.

Bradley is pretty important, IMO.  I think he's also first to get traded, so go figure.

I, too, am a huge Avery fan and can't wait for him to get back into the starting line-up. His energy is contagious and the team plays defense at an entirely different level.

I also see him as a possible trade chip, though. With talk of Demarcus Cousins not being happy in Sacramento, it seems a deal could be made involving Avery, Bass, and a first [or something to that extent). I don't want to see him go anywhere, but this is the kind of deal that I wouldn't be heartbroken over. I really hope Ainge sees the value in Avery.

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 01:01:18 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Yeah, the 81 point per 100 possessions is what I wasn't talking about in the OP. I didn't know what the stat was but thanks for listing it. Aren't those historically good numbers, very near the top in NBA history or something along those lines?

I think Bradley coming back at 100% will be a huge boost for the team as well. His defense is an elite, game changing skill.

I also think his offense, perhaps correctly so, is underrated at this time. As his handle gets better and better - and it has each year - his athletic ability is going to allow him to get anywhere on the court he wants, so:

1. I think his penetration scoring will improve
2. He will continue to get points off cutting
3. Off the break
4. He has a very good mid range jumper
5. His three point shooting needs to get better but isn't horrible.

I also like the depth it will add to our bench

Milicic / Collins
Wilcox / Sullinger
Green / Joseph
Lee / Jet
Barbosa

Something tells me if we stay healthy, this team has a good shot at becoming a freight train that nobody will look forward to getting in front of.

Looking forward to his return and hoping for full health and a fast re-acclimation.

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 03:21:30 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
How important is bradley? I think if we have him healthy in last years eastern conference finals we win. I hope that answers your question. Bradley is elite on defense and i absolutely loooooooove him playing with rondo and the starters. Plus we can move terry and lee to the bench for good. Whatever hype bradley gets, its underrated.

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 04:17:58 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Bradley the point guard slayer  :)

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 05:10:30 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
If we are to come out the East and beat Miami it'll be because Bradley and Green being game changers
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 05:30:07 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
He is an All-NBA Defensive First Team talent in his early 20's.  He can also shoot.  Those players don't grow on trees.  If he comes back healthy, he is VERY important.