Author Topic: Darko Milicic  (Read 4315 times)

Re: Darko Milicic
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 06:21:42 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think the real key to success might be what Doc did last game: scale back Sullinger's minutes. 

I like Sully, but we need to 1) get bigger lineups on the floor and 2) find more minutes for Jeff Green so he can get a rhythm going.  Cutting Sullinger's minutes down accomplishes both, as it gets rid of the super small Sully/Bass lineups and frees up some more minutes at the 4 for Green. 

If we keep doing this, I don't think we need to go to Darko unless we play big teams.  I think Wilcox is OK if Doc feels he's the better option. 

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 01:06:41 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Good point on Sullinger Jon. I'd like to see the kid play, but no problem with limiting his minutes kind of along the lines of BBD in his first year.

Every now and then a game comes along where he gets extended minutes because the match ups warrant it or Sully's having a good run. 

I'd still like to see some bigger lineups where we beat on people a little bit. I would have liked to see Milicic rough up Dalembert a little, or lay a body on Seraphin or Hawes for a few minutes - lean on Bosh, deck him, bang a little with Haslem...

I just think it would also help our depth and resting guys all season if between Darko and Collins we can find 5-10 minutes a night for them.That's 10 minutes less per game of wear and tear on KG and Wilcox all season.

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 01:34:43 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
We will need to go big to beat Miami IMO.

Small ball doesn't work with them when they have advantages at 3 positions. Unless I am underrating Bradley here, I just don't see us beating them at their own game.

That means Doc needs to figure out if Darko can actually contribute and clog the paint. The only way to do that is to actually play him.

Memphis just beat Miami with size. Granted, Darko is no Marc Gasol in skill, but he is similar in size/strength. With the right PG to feed him when open and the right defensive scheme, he could be a very productive bakup center.

I think Doc is trying to figure out his guard rotation (will only get harder next month) and how to use Green right now, but Darko will get his chance eventually.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 02:12:58 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Small ball doesn't work with them when they have advantages at 3 positions. Unless I am underrating Bradley here, I just don't see us beating them at their own game.

That means Doc needs to figure out if Darko can actually contribute and clog the paint. The only way to do that is to actually play him.

Memphis just beat Miami with size. Granted, Darko is no Marc Gasol in skill, but he is similar in size/strength. With the right PG to feed him when open and the right defensive scheme, he could be a very productive bakup center.

I think Doc is trying to figure out his guard rotation (will only get harder next month) and how to use Green right now, but Darko will get his chance eventually.

I agree completely that we need to go big.  We need to control the boards and bump people out of their spots.  We need to change shots inside.  A few hard fouls are okay with me when setting the tone, too.

Is Darko the guy?  I think he's our only true pivot besides Collins, so I hope so.

But I think he can play next to any other guy and it would work (KG, Wilcox, Bass, Sully, Green).  Is he mobile enough to rotate to defend the rim?  That's the question.

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 03:16:23 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I just wanna see darko and collins play. Id be satisfied if i watched them play a week or two and they turned out to be complete trash. I hate just burying them on the bench from day 1 tho. Beyond frustrating for me at least.

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 03:18:27 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

The Celtics do not have the right kind of big.

They need a big that can be a true low post threat to take advantage of Bosh's size at C. 

Not that playing small against the Heat is great way to go as well. 

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 03:20:15 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I just wanna see darko and collins play. Id be satisfied if i watched them play a week or two and they turned out to be complete trash. I hate just burying them on the bench from day 1 tho. Beyond frustrating for me at least.

While I agree with this completely, I need to point out, this is purely a fan thing.  I trust the coaches to be able to make these decisions, because they have a lot more information to work with.  It won't lessen my frustration with not being able to see for myself whats going on in practice though.

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 03:23:03 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
Yeah, that's pretty much my sentiment with Darko. I realize we have a lot of athletic guys and that's great.

But I really thought we should have beat the crap out of Miami, really throw some weight around.

LeBron has it over Pierce at this point in their careers. Green helps but it's not enough.

If Bradley comes back fully healthy, I actually think we are a wash with them with Bradley / Lee Vs Wade and Allen. Mainly because I'm confident that Bradley will give Wade "fits" defensively. I don't think Wade is quick enough to get around Bradley without a lot of help.

KG / Bosh - that's wash to me, mainly because of Bosh's age. Though I'd take Garnett when the money's on the line.

But as someone just said, why are we trying to beat Miami at what their skill set is?

I'd put a lot of speed on the wings, but I'd go very big on the inside -

Darko & KG
KG & Wilcox
Collin and Bass

Etc...

I'd also beat the crap out of Philly.

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 03:32:27 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Yeah, that's pretty much my sentiment with Darko. I realize we have a lot of athletic guys and that's great.

But I really thought we should have beat the crap out of Miami, really throw some weight around.

LeBron has it over Pierce at this point in their careers. Green helps but it's not enough.

If Bradley comes back fully healthy, I actually think we are a wash with them with Bradley / Lee Vs Wade and Allen. Mainly because I'm confident that Bradley will give Wade "fits" defensively. I don't think Wade is quick enough to get around Bradley without a lot of help.

KG / Bosh - that's wash to me, mainly because of Bosh's age. Though I'd take Garnett when the money's on the line.

But as someone just said, why are we trying to beat Miami at what their skill set is?

I'd put a lot of speed on the wings, but I'd go very big on the inside -

Darko & KG
KG & Wilcox
Collin and Bass

Etc...

I'd also beat the crap out of Philly.

All that's great...if they can defend the pick and roll.  If not, then you are just asking for guys to foul out in 2 minutes, as Lebron and Wade tear apart the C's defense. 

Hopefully, by the end of the season, the C's will have more big guys who can defend the pick and roll, so they can try to go bigger.  But until then, they are better off with guys who can actually play within the defense, than just a big body.

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 04:03:46 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
True.

Maybe Bradley coming back will open more opportunities fro Darko as their will be less dribble drive with Rondo AND Bradley hawking the perimeter.   

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 04:09:38 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I'd guess collins & darko can come in and play.  Celtics might be trying to get sully minutes to learn how to play better defense (needs work) .  If he can have that figured his ceiling is higher than either big.  No matter what those 2 will give us minutes when a true big center is needed.  Darko might still be nursing the wrist, hard to say.

I'd hope by all star break we are running on all cylinders and can offer rondo, pierce and garnett games off.  WHO CARES WHAT OUR RECORD IS DURING SEASON.  We need those 3 healthy and rested for playoffs.  Our team is deep, develop everyone and use everyone giving guys breaks when needed. 

another idea is both collins and darko are offensive liabilities maybe doc is trying to get the offense running smoothly before giving either guy time?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 04:20:43 PM by 2short »

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 04:26:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Doc !!!!   Free Darko ...wouldn't he be useful againt BIG AL ?? ???

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 04:38:54 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

That will actually be interesting to watch.  If there ever were a game for either Darko or Collins to make an appearance, this could be it.  Not only for Big Al, but also Kanter. 

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 05:26:51 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

That will actually be interesting to watch.  If there ever were a game for either Darko or Collins to make an appearance, this could be it.  Not only for Big Al, but also Kanter.

Just thinking the same thing.  Seems if DArko is healthy m this might be a chance to see him and Collins work.
 Seems to me... as built now , the Celtics need to defend closer to the rim on defense and push the ball inside on offense.

Just Wilcox's size has made a Huge diff , as KG sits ,  I convinced small ball is totally wrong for this team.

I'm for TREE ball , not small. ;D 

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 07:30:03 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 06:50:10 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Just thinking the same thing.  Seems if DArko is healthy m this might be a chance to see him and Collins work.
 Seems to me... as built now , the Celtics need to defend the rim on defense and push the ball inside on offense.

Just Wilcox's size has made a Huge diff , as KG sits ,  I convinced small ball is totally wrong for this team.

I'm for TREE ball , not small. ;D

Just joining the chorus, here:  Ditto all that folks have been saying here.

The +/- numbers are still small (young season) but so far they totally back this up.

Of our various 5-man combinations, without Wilcox, our top NINE lineups all would include Garnett.  In other words, the drop-off when sending KG to the bench was to put our 10th worst 5-man combination on the floor.

With, Wilcox, we have non-KG lineups as our 2nd, 4th & 9th best lineups.

In particular, our (currently) #2 lineup also lets Pierce rest:  Rondo, Terry, Green, Bass & Wilcox - so far that lineup is +12.

Now, those facts are all based on 'total' +/- and are not normalized by possession or per minute.  So take them with a big grain of salt.   It's still too early and none of the stat sites are posting normalized efficiency numbers yet.

But the fact is, that without Wilcox, our non-KG units have sucked horribly.  With him, they've gotten new life!
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.