Author Topic: Bynum out until January  (Read 7953 times)

Re: Bynum out until January
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2012, 02:05:52 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Synvisc injections are not a good sign at all. They do not bode well for long term arthritic joints. They do not provide a cure just medical maintenance. If Bynumm is already getting synvisc injections I dont think he is going to last in the league

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2012, 02:06:28 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Just because he is out until January doesn't mean he won't come back and play like an All-Star..

And it doesn't mean he will either. He could just as easily be pretty much done for his career. The procedure he had on his knees is a very bad indication of his long term health.

Where did you see that this injury is career threatening?

the "injury" is not career threatening. The fact that he needs these injections into his knees for the rest of his career, and has been getting them at least last year as well, and went to germany for an experimental procedure, all indicate that his knees won't hold up much longer though.

Right but if there are no reports about this being career threatening and it is the same procedure he had prior to last year, why is it just as likely that this is career ending as it is that he will bounce back to his all start form of last year?

Because, as other people have said in this thread, he has never been healthy. He has missed half the games in his career, and the fact that he needs constant procedures that they use on old people with severe arthritis is a clear indication that his "durability" is going to get worse, not better. Even when he played last year, he often stated that he had pain and was not 100%.

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 02:06:51 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Synvisc injections are not a good sign at all. They do not bode well for long term arthritic joints. They do not provide a cure just medical maintenance. If Bynumm is already getting synvisc injections I dont think he is going to last in the league

exactly

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2012, 02:10:24 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Just because he is out until January doesn't mean he won't come back and play like an All-Star..

And it doesn't mean he will either. He could just as easily be pretty much done for his career. The procedure he had on his knees is a very bad indication of his long term health.

the "injury" is not career threatening. The fact that he needs these injections into his knees for the rest of his career, and has been getting them at least last year as well, and went to germany for an experimental procedure, all indicate that his knees won't hold up much longer though.

Right but if there are no reports about this being career threatening and it is the same procedure he had prior to last year, why is it just as likely that this is career ending as it is that he will bounce back to his all start form of last year?

Because, as other people have said in this thread, he has never been healthy. He has missed half the games in his career, and the fact that he needs constant procedures that they use on old people with severe arthritis is a clear indication that his "durability" is going to get worse, not better. Even when he played last year, he often stated that he had pain and was not 100%.

But he produced at an all star level last year.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2012, 02:13:53 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

But he produced at an all star level last year.

Yes he did, he was quite impressive, and could have been even better if fully healthy. It doesn't at all mean that he will be able to hold up physically though, he's most likely to come back later this year, give it his all for a big contract this summer, and then keep missing large amounts of time while his knees degenerate further until he retires.

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2012, 02:15:15 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Hawes is very underrated and I'm not sure why he isn't starting.

Sixers fans seem to think he lacks toughness and can't play defense.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2012, 02:16:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Bynum has only played in 392 out of a possible 558 games. Who knows how healthy he was for those games played. He played 82 games once and has never made it over 65.
Outside of Shaq's first three seasons, he only played over 75 games 1 time and most of the time was in the mid-60's.  Now Bynum isn't Shaq, but I don't think there is a person on the planet that wouldn't be ok with Shaq for 67 games a year if he was making the playoffs (which he was).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2012, 02:22:16 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
when you need injections to lubricate your knees , it is a sign a complete knee replacement is comming real soon. That is a stop -gap measure for the rest of us that can't have surgery on TWO knees at once. That is BAD MOJO . He'll need two new knees,  like a 70-75 year old men get. The lub job is just suppose to be a very short term solution , till the patient can get his surgery .   

I just don't see how he can continue to play on knees that have no natural lubrication .  It like running a car low on oil , he is gonna really really regret all this .  He should left basketball a while back.

Unless some new stim-cell mircle comes out ASAP , then he is near finished. 

I kept saying all along , he was worn out and the Lakers knew it. 

Orlando should have taken Pau Gasol and built around him , with baby they would have been decent , and as much picks and stuff as they could get and left the LAkers with Bynum.

AS usual people bail out the Lakers , take their worn out stars.

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2012, 02:26:15 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
when you need injections to lubricate your knees , it is a sign a complete knee replacement is comming real soon. That is a stop -gap measure for the rest of us that can't have surgery on TWO knees at once. That is BAD MOJO . He'll need two new knees,  like a 70-75 year old men get. The lub job is just suppose to be a very short term solution , till the patient can get his surgery .   

I just don't see how he can continue to play on knees that have no natural lubrication .  It like running a car low on oil , he is gonna really really regret all this .  He should left basketball a while back.

Orlando should have taken Pau Gasol and built around him , with baby they would have been decent , and as much picks and stuff as they could get and left the LAkers with Bynum.

Or until the "patient" can get his long term contract  ;D

This is an excellent description of what those injections that Bynum is getting really means, TP. I hate that LA got value for him, nevermind actually getting Dwight Howard. They should have had to give up both Bynum and Gasol for Howard. Highway robbery again.

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2012, 02:45:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

This is an excellent description of what those injections that Bynum is getting really means, TP. I hate that LA got value for him, nevermind actually getting Dwight Howard. They should have had to give up both Bynum and Gasol for Howard. Highway robbery again.
Thanks, I can't take credit.  ;D
I'm no doctor ,passing on comments .

This is my wifes's assessment (in laymens terms so I could understand).  She has been practicing Physical Therapy for 27 years , mostly in the Navy/Marines.
She watched/caught a segment one night on some channel, maybe NBA channel one night on Bynum several weeks ago . Shook her slowly & frowned deeply.  She is always so concerned with the safety and long term well being of her patients.

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2012, 02:58:39 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Well, that's one less team in our division that we have to worry about now.

They look pretty good even without him. Holiday is a freaking stud.

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2012, 06:00:35 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
Happy to have Howard and AI out of the conference!
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2012, 06:03:47 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Thanks, I can't take credit.  ;D
I'm no doctor ,passing on comments .

This is my wifes's assessment (in laymens terms so I could understand).  She has been practicing Physical Therapy for 27 years , mostly in the Navy/Marines.
She watched/caught a segment one night on some channel, maybe NBA channel one night on Bynum several weeks ago . Shook her slowly & frowned deeply.  She is always so concerned with the safety and long term well being of her patients.

What does she say about Howard's back?

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2012, 06:46:18 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Well, that's one less team in our division that we have to worry about now.

They look pretty good even without him. Holiday is a freaking stud.

Same could be said about the Bulls last season

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2012, 06:50:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

... No, but really... people who think Bynum is "better" than Dwight are tripping.  The Lakers are going to be a force this year with Dwight in the middle. 

That said, Bynum is no slouch when healthy.  He should help Philly a bunch when he gets back.