Author Topic: Bresnahan: Mike D'antoni hired as Lakers new coach  (Read 9567 times)

Re: Bresnahan: Mike D'antoni hired as Lakers new coach
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2012, 01:40:29 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I've always assumed that some form of Pau Gasol for Kevin Love was as likely as any Gasol trade.

That would never go over in Minnesota.  A few years down the line if Love demands out, maybe, but not now.

With that said, Minnesota is a very interesting trade partner for the Lakers.  I am sure they would still love Gasol (although Pekovic definitely makes him less important), and they could put together an interesting package based around Derek Williams and Kirilenko...two guys who would be very interesting fits in D'Antoni's system.

I would love to see Kirilenko play for Mike D'Antoni. Absolutely love it. What a perfect match.

D'Antoni would play Kirilenko at his best position as an undersized quick power forward. He'll give him freedom offensively and put in positions to take advantage of his passing, ball-handling and slashing skills. That would be a sight to see ...

And Kirilenko (disruptive quick PF)alongside Dwight Howard (center) too. Exceptional defensive chemistry and backbone to a team's help defense.

As a basketball fan, sure! But aren't we celtics fans first? Not sure why we are rooting for perfect matches for dantonis system, which offensively could get the best out of a lot of players even some on the celtics roster.

On the other hand (and I know I am speaking from an extreme minority here), I am much more concerned with the Lakers sending Gasol to a contender in the East, than with what the Lakers get in return.

I think Gasol will likely be the best player in any trade he ends up involved in, so if he is staying out West, then its a win for the C's, whose biggest concern right now should be getting to the finals. 

My fear is that they send him to a team like Atlanta (for Smith and change), Chicago (Deng), Indiana (Granger and/or West and change), or even Brooklyn (Wallace and Humphries).  That would make the C's road tougher.

Agreed actually...i just think gasol peaked in the lakers back to back championships and wouldn't be enough to put many teams in the east over the top...except for maybe us  :o

While he may have peaked then, I think he is still one of the top 5 big men in the league, if used correctly, and he would immediately be arguably one of the top 2 centers in the East along with Chandler (KG might also have a claim though).

« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2012, 02:13:02 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I've always assumed that some form of Pau Gasol for Kevin Love was as likely as any Gasol trade.

That would never go over in Minnesota.  A few years down the line if Love demands out, maybe, but not now.

I don't think you can rule it out, though.  My rebuttal to your point takes the form of one word: KAAAAAHHHHHHNNNNN!!!
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2012, 04:46:13 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I don't think you can rule it out, though.  My rebuttal to your point takes the form of one word: KAAAAAHHHHHHNNNNN!!!
Kahn gets a bad rap, but look at what he put together in Minnesota.  That team is 5-2 and its two best players have yet to play in a game this year and they suited up just 10 players against the Mavs.  And won and that is with their best player this year getting hurt in the 3rd quarter and not coming back into the game.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2012, 05:01:33 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Kahn gets a bad rap, but look at what he put together in Minnesota.  That team is 5-2 and its two best players have yet to play in a game this year and they suited up just 10 players against the Mavs.  And won and that is with their best player this year getting hurt in the 3rd quarter and not coming back into the game.

Agreed.  Kahn has done a good job with this team.  But he also is fearless about making moves that might not make a whole lot of sense at first.

But trading Love for Gasol at this point goes beyond even his level of going out on a limb.