Author Topic: Bresnahan: Mike D'antoni hired as Lakers new coach  (Read 9525 times)

Re: Bresnahan: Mike D'antoni hired as Lakers new coach
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2012, 06:13:22 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Let the countdown till Pau is traded begin.

D'Antoni's system features an extremely ball-dominant PG, speed and quickness at every position, and high-level 3-point shooting at positions 1-4 (if not 1-5).

He just took over a roster that's a pathetic 33% from 3 for the 2nd year in a row and features two of the slowest players at their positions in the NBA (MWP at 3 and Pau at the 4). 

Either the roster changes, or the coaching will (again).
Pau for Josh Smith? 

If that happens, we should try hard to be a 3rd team in the trade and get Pau to Boston.  He'd solve our biggest issues.

What is the motivation for Atlanta? Aren't they in rebuild mode? What would they want from us for basically Josh Smith? Lakers don't have picks or prospects to add to a deal. We would likely need a fourth team. For salaries it would need to be like Green, Bass/Lee, and young players like Bradley, Fab Melo, and Sullinger.

However assuming we don't give up the big three or Jet then Pau, KG, Pierce, Jet, and Rondo is absolutely deadly.

Atlanta isn't in rebuild mode.  They are trying to reload on the fly, and Gasol is about as perfect a fit of a player next to Horford as their is in this league. 

Now, Gasol has fallen off a bit, but he still seems to have enough in the tank to give them another couple years of All-Star caliber play.

But here is the key for Atlanta.  Do they still think there is a chance they can get Howard and Paul this summer?  If so, they don't do it.  If they decide thats not happening, I don't think there is any better deal for Smith out there. 

A frontcourt of Horford and Gasol would put them in the running in the East for at least the next 2 seasons.

LA Trades: Pau Gasol
LA Receives: Ersan Ilyasova, M Dunleavy, D. Cook, C. Aldrich, T. Douglas, G Smith, Houston 1st

Milwaukee Trades: Ersan Ilyasova
Milwaukee Receives: Royce White, Terrance Jones, Marcus Morris, Donatas Motiejunas

Houston Trades: White, Jones, Cook, Aldrich, Douglas, G Smith, Morris, Motiejunas, 1st
Houston Receives: Pau Gasol

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a59qrlb

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2012, 06:22:30 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
LA Trades: Pau Gasol
LA Receives: Ersan Ilyasova, M Dunleavy, D. Cook, C. Aldrich, T. Douglas, G Smith, Houston 1st

Milwaukee Trades: Ersan Ilyasova
Milwaukee Receives: Royce White, Terrance Jones, Marcus Morris, Donatas Motiejunas

Houston Trades: White, Jones, Cook, Aldrich, Douglas, G Smith, Morris, Motiejunas, 1st
Houston Receives: Pau Gasol

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a59qrlb

Not enough for LA in return for Pau Gasol. Not worthwhile.

Milwaukee receiving far too much for Ilyasova. He is nowhere near that valuable.

Somewhat interesting for Houston. Not sure they are close enough to title-contention to go all in for Pau Gasol. Can they get a good enough supporting cast around Pau and Harden quickly enough to make it in their interests? Or are they better off waiting for a younger 2nd star to couple with Harden now that they have something to work with in Harden; someone to build around long term.

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2012, 06:43:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Great for Dwight fantasy owners.

<------ this guy.
Same here.  This is great news.  I'm pulling all my trades that had me shipping Dwight out.  He's going to have a huge season.

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2012, 11:41:19 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I've always assumed that some form of Pau Gasol for Kevin Love was as likely as any Gasol trade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2012, 11:59:27 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I've always assumed that some form of Pau Gasol for Kevin Love was as likely as any Gasol trade.

I don't think Pau has anything close to Love's trade value at the moment.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2012, 12:00:28 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

That would never go over in Minnesota.  A few years down the line if Love demands out, maybe, but not now.

With that said, Minnesota is a very interesting trade partner for the Lakers.  I am sure they would still love Gasol (although Pekovic definitely makes him less important), and they could put together an interesting package based around Derek Williams and Kirilenko...two guys who would be very interesting fits in D'Antoni's system. 

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2012, 12:50:14 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

That would never go over in Minnesota.  A few years down the line if Love demands out, maybe, but not now.

With that said, Minnesota is a very interesting trade partner for the Lakers.  I am sure they would still love Gasol (although Pekovic definitely makes him less important), and they could put together an interesting package based around Derek Williams and Kirilenko...two guys who would be very interesting fits in D'Antoni's system.

I would love to see Kirilenko play for Mike D'Antoni. Absolutely love it. What a perfect match.

D'Antoni would play Kirilenko at his best position as an undersized quick power forward. He'll give him freedom offensively and put in positions to take advantage of his passing, ball-handling and slashing skills. That would be a sight to see ...

And Kirilenko (disruptive quick PF)alongside Dwight Howard (center) too. Exceptional defensive chemistry and backbone to a team's help defense.

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2012, 01:00:23 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

I would love to see Kirilenko play for Mike D'Antoni. Absolutely love it. What a perfect match.

D'Antoni would play Kirilenko at his best position as an undersized quick power forward. He'll give him freedom offensively and put in positions to take advantage of his passing, ball-handling and slashing skills. That would be a sight to see ...

And Kirilenko (disruptive quick PF)alongside Dwight Howard (center) too. Exceptional defensive chemistry and backbone to a team's help defense.

As a basketball fan, sure! But aren't we celtics fans first? Not sure why we are rooting for perfect matches for dantonis system, which offensively could get the best out of a lot of players even some on the celtics roster.

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2012, 01:06:06 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Let the countdown till Pau is traded begin.

D'Antoni's system features an extremely ball-dominant PG, speed and quickness at every position, and high-level 3-point shooting at positions 1-4 (if not 1-5).

He just took over a roster that's a pathetic 33% from 3 for the 2nd year in a row and features two of the slowest players at their positions in the NBA (MWP at 3 and Pau at the 4). 

Either the roster changes, or the coaching will (again).
Pau for Josh Smith? 

If that happens, we should try hard to be a 3rd team in the trade and get Pau to Boston.  He'd solve our biggest issues.

What is the motivation for Atlanta? Aren't they in rebuild mode? What would they want from us for basically Josh Smith? Lakers don't have picks or prospects to add to a deal. We would likely need a fourth team. For salaries it would need to be like Green, Bass/Lee, and young players like Bradley, Fab Melo, and Sullinger.

However assuming we don't give up the big three or Jet then Pau, KG, Pierce, Jet, and Rondo is absolutely deadly.

Atlanta isn't in rebuild mode.  They are trying to reload on the fly, and Gasol is about as perfect a fit of a player next to Horford as their is in this league. 

Now, Gasol has fallen off a bit, but he still seems to have enough in the tank to give them another couple years of All-Star caliber play.

But here is the key for Atlanta.  Do they still think there is a chance they can get Howard and Paul this summer?  If so, they don't do it.  If they decide thats not happening, I don't think there is any better deal for Smith out there. 

A frontcourt of Horford and Gasol would put them in the running in the East for at least the next 2 seasons.

I just don't see it. You need more then those two guys. Lou williams is a nice sixth man, but who else do they have? Devin Harris? He's been a no-show since 2008-09. Maybe you could flip his expiring deal. Then who? Teague, Korver, Pachulia, Morrow, Ivan Johnson... Those guys aren't helping you compete for a title in the next two years.

When Atlanta had Joe Johnson it made sense. When Atlanta performed a salary dump of their All-Star SG and got nothing but future cap relief in return that spelled rebuilding mode.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2012, 01:08:44 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Danny Granger and Psycho T

for

Pau Gasol

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cl3o5ww

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2012, 01:09:36 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

As a basketball fan, sure! But aren't we celtics fans first? Not sure why we are rooting for perfect matches for dantonis system, which offensively could get the best out of a lot of players even some on the celtics roster.

On the other hand (and I know I am speaking from an extreme minority here), I am much more concerned with the Lakers sending Gasol to a contender in the East, than with what the Lakers get in return.

I think Gasol will likely be the best player in any trade he ends up involved in, so if he is staying out West, then its a win for the C's, whose biggest concern right now should be getting to the finals. 

My fear is that they send him to a team like Atlanta (for Smith and change), Chicago (Deng), Indiana (Granger and/or West and change), or even Brooklyn (Wallace and Humphries).  That would make the C's road tougher.

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2012, 01:16:07 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

On the other hand (and I know I am speaking from an extreme minority here), I am much more concerned with the Lakers sending Gasol to a contender in the East, than with what the Lakers get in return.

I think Gasol will likely be the best player in any trade he ends up involved in, so if he is staying out West, then its a win for the C's, whose biggest concern right now should be getting to the finals. 

My fear is that they send him to a team like Atlanta (for Smith and change), Chicago (Deng), Indiana (Granger and/or West and change), or even Brooklyn (Wallace and Humphries).  That would make the C's road tougher.

Agreed actually...i just think gasol peaked in the lakers back to back championships and wouldn't be enough to put many teams in the east over the top...except for maybe us  :o

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2012, 01:20:58 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
They should've just keep Bernie Bickerstaff as the head coach until they worked out a deal with Phil Jackson. Under Bickerstaff's helm the Lakers have assembled their first winning streak of the season; not sure how successful the Lake-Show will be with D'Antoni's offense. Of the three coaches (Phil Jackson Mike D'Antoni and Mike Brown) Phil Jackson's brand of offense has been the most successful -- Mike Brown enjoyed a mediocre season with the Lakers in 2011-2012 before it all fell apart this season and D'Antoni's fast break styled offense is unproven in Laker Land. Meanwhile Phil Jackson has had numerous finals appearances, playoff runs, and 5 NBA Championships as a the head coach of the Lakers from 1999 to 2011.

It will be interesting to see if this whole D'Antoni thing pans out or else we might see the Lakers make another move for Phil Jackson before long. Who knows, by then it may be too late in the season and Phil may no longer be interested in the job.

Did I mention that Phil Jackson is getting old? Maybe not Joe Paterno old, but he's up there.
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2012, 01:26:23 PM »

Offline The Dark Lord Sauron

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
  • "Not all those who wander are lost" J.R.R. Tolkien
They should've just keep Bernie Bickerstaff as the head coach until they worked out a deal with Phil Jackson. Under Bickerstaff's helm the Lakers have assembled their first winning streak of the season; not sure how successful the Lake-Show will be with D'Antoni's offense. Of the three coaches (Phil Jackson Mike D'Antoni and Mike Brown) Phil Jackson's brand of offense has been the most successful -- Mike Brown enjoyed a mediocre season with the Lakers in 2011-2012 before it all fell apart this season and D'Antoni's fast break styled offense is unproven in Laker Land. Meanwhile Phil Jackson has had numerous finals appearances, playoff runs, and 5 NBA Championships as a the head coach of the Lakers from 1999 to 2011.

It will be interesting to see if this whole D'Antoni thing pans out or else we might see the Lakers make another move for Phil Jackson before long. Who knows, by then it may be too late in the season and Phil may no longer be interested in the job.

Did I mention that Phil Jackson is getting old? Maybe not Joe Paterno old, but he's up there.

Phil Jackson IS Joe Paterno old, as his health might become an issue again in upcoming seasons and remember the key with Phil is that he isn't committed to attending all of the Lakers road games. This issue might have been the reason why the Lakers chose D'Antoni in the first place.

Did I mention that I have multiple accounts on Celticsblog... (Witch-King, Frodo, The Dark Lord Sauron, among others)  ;)

« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2012, 01:38:51 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I am more of a basketball fan first, Celtic fan second. 

Anyway, I wouldn't be concerned about the Lakers making a trade. I think their new management there is too arrogant (although I am impressed that they fired Mike Brown) to admit their squad's flaws at this stage in the process. I expect that they'll want to play it out and see what D'Antoni can do with the roster. D'Antoni is an excuse-maker whose own arrogance will stop him from pushing hard for changes to the roster and will instead insist that he can be successful with the roster. So I am not expecting LA to make anymore major moves this season. I wouldn't be concerned about that. 

Plus, if LA did make a deal, they will lose just about any Pau Gasol trade on an individual talent-basis given Pau's age, contract and recent playoff performances. So whatever they get back in a deal, it won't be a king-maker.