Author Topic: Bresnahan: Mike D'antoni hired as Lakers new coach  (Read 9527 times)

Re: Bresnahan: Mike D'antoni hired as Lakers new coach
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 09:30:52 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Woo Hoo ...   ;D

Don't think money was the issue. 

Jackson wanted to skip some away games , practices , wanted part ownership of Lakers.  He wanted all the GLORY and NON OF THE WORK.

Jackson is a nutty as the divas he coachs.

Jackson is old and  frail and who as a n owner wants a coach that doesn't SHOW UP for games or practice.  That is just BAD FORM for a professional orgnaization...and besides the TV people are PAYING for Jackson to be seen on TV  ;D

Kobe would have played for JAckso so hard they would have carried him off on strecher...

All the lakers MEDIA LOVERS of the Lakers are crying and moaning..... HEE  HEE  HEE  HEE

Love the D 'antoni pick !!!!!! They SHOULD have kept MIKE BROWN !!!

The Lakers fans will be calling for his HEAD by March , if not sooner. 

Whew , dodged a bullet....  One day the Lakers will go for the Grizzles or Hornets coach and it will be all she wrote for the Celtics., but until then enjoy the LAKERS in D'antoni land.

Nash and Kobe will be worn to a frazzle, and will probally get hurt from TOO many minutes ..  They are too old to play in the offesive style D'antoni best likes.  LA is too old and TOO thin on the bench with "GOOD" shooters to play D'antoni's style.   

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:53:32 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 09:55:40 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Glad it's not Phil Jackson. This will be interesting. D'antoni will at least use Nash properly.

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 11:15:26 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Other than Nash/Howard, I don't think they have anybody that fits D'Antoni's spread & shred SSOL offense.

Kobe and Artest are mediocre 3-point shooters, Pau's not a shooter and certainly not the ideal 4 for D'Antoni's offense.  Little to no team speed with the starters or off the bench.

I think D'Antoni will push for a trade to get some better fitting pieces around the Nash/Kobe/Howard trio.  I think Pau's days as a Laker are numbered.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 11:29:04 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Interesting move by the Lake show. Ive never enjoyed Mike D'Antoni's style. It just seems to fall apart in the playoffs. Nash and Howard will benefit if they both get healthy but if not who knows. Anyway

Bass, Bradley, Darko, 2 first rounders gets us Gasol at the deadline? Me thinks not but he would be a great addition alongside KG in the frontcourt.

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 12:59:48 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
Well, I am no longer that worried about LA winning a title this year. D'Antoni is the ultimate regular season coach because his complete lack of interest in defense always kills him in the playoffs. Even with his perfect team (the 8 seconds or less Suns), he couldn't win...though I think they were robbed with those suspensions after Horry's cross-check on Nash.

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 01:03:58 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Interesting move by the Lake show. Ive never enjoyed Mike D'Antoni's style. It just seems to fall apart in the playoffs. Nash and Howard will benefit if they both get healthy but if not who knows. Anyway

Bass, Bradley, Darko, 2 first rounders gets us Gasol at the deadline? Me thinks not but he would be a great addition alongside KG in the frontcourt.

Was just thinking that Pau doesn't really fit with Mike D and that personnel. I could see him being moved for a more athletic 3 man and a stretch four.

Bass, Green and filler? Doubtful LA ever makes that kind of trade with us.

Granger and David West? Maybe.

Amare? Doubtful. Bad fit with Dwight.

Three Team Deal  - Green to NO. Bass, Anderson, and Lee to LA. Jamison and Gasol to BOS.

Bargnani and Derozan? Maybe...

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 01:09:17 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I just want to throw one thing out there.  I don't buy this suggestion that D'Antoni's system "falls apart in the playoffs".  I think its the other way around.  It lifts teams in the regular season.

Basically, D'Antoni's system (along with Nash to run it) was effective in making pretty mediocre teams, REALLY good, especially in the regular season. 

Look at their 2006-07 team, which won 61 games (a high for D'Antoni).  They were built around Nash, Amare, and Marion.  Good, but not great players.  Then they had Barbosa, Bell, and Diaw.  That's not spectacular talent.  Honestly, they may have even been overachieving to make it to the second round in the West that year (Beating the Lakers, and then taking the eventual champion Spurs to 6).

I think D'Antoni's system is no different than Sloan's, or Jim O'Brien's, or any other coach that thrives at getting teams to play above their head.  And for all of these guys, the question is, is the system holding them back from winning championships, or is their lack of talent holding them back from winning championships, and their systems are just putting teams in contention that really have no business being there?

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 01:16:05 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
So happy D'Antoni is coaching and not Phil Jackson

Always thought D'Antoni was a terrible coach. I like Mike Brown even a lot more than him.

Confused why they would bring him aboard just because he had a few good seasons with Nash

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2012, 01:37:27 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Great news for the Lakers and terrible news for Celtic fans.

Kobe, Dwight, Pau and Nash in D'Antoni's free-flowing offense is just a frightening... FRIGHTENING thought.  They'll probably drop 180 points a night.   Yes, their defense might suffer a little, but having the best defensive player in the league cleaning up the middle certainly helps.  Don't underestimate Pau Gasol's defense either.  The "no defense" thing is overblown.  D'Antoni has never had a guy like Dwight on his team.  There's only so much defense you could get out of Amare or David Lee in the middle.   

Meanwhile... you so-called Celtic fans disappoint me with your Phil drooling.  Have we forgotten who PhiL Jackson is?  He's the luckiest and most overrated coach in the history of basketball.  How hard is it to win titles with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen?  How hard is it to win titles with Kobe and Shaq?  How hard is it to win titles with Kobe, Pau, etc in their prime?  He deserves a little credit, but just a little.  It delights me that Phil is "stunned" by this decision.  I'd LOVE to see Phil try to coach a mediocre crew of talent like this Celtics team or a team like the Knicks.   The guy is a fraud.  The "Zen Master" thing is razzle dazzle.  Even his famous "triangle" offense isn't even his own.  Gotta hand it to the Lakers for recognizing this about Phil.  The guy was just looking for another major payday and some more coattails to ride to a title.  He didn't even want to travel with the team to away games.  Are you kidding me?  Had Brooklyn landed Dwight HOward along with Deron Williams... you'd be seeing Phil coaching Brooklyn right now.  The guy follows superstars and gets way too much credit for their success.  He probably sat at home crying that Miami won a title... because it eliminated his shot of getting hired by the Heat and riding LeBron to another dynasty. 

The D'antoni signing is scary.   This is a worse case scenario if you ask me.  Here comes Showtime 4G.   

Last note:  The Triangle would have really limited Nash and favored Pau/Kobe.  By limiting Nash, you're limiting Dwight.  By limiting Dwight, you're potentially allowing for the slimmest of possibilities that the Lakers fail this year and Dwight bails in the offseason (along with Chris Paul) to the Mavericks.   Bringing in Mike D means that Dwight is going to spend a season getting constant alley oops playing in a free-flowing blasty blast of an offense.   Even if they could have potentially been "more successful" with Phil, that guy was only signing a 2 year contract at most.  This is probably just as much about keeping Dwight in Laker gold as anything. 

Terrible, Terrible news.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 01:45:17 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2012, 01:59:33 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think D'Antoni is a middle of the pack coach. This was a wasted opportunity for LA. There was a lot of high quality coaching talent available and they spurned them all in order to get a midlevel coach in D'Antoni.

I think D'Antoni is someone who can add extra value to a team when he has the right type of talent to fit his system which LA currently doesn't have. If they make changes to their roster (trading Pau, changing their bench), I may reconsider, but for now I think this is a so-so hiring and a wasted opportunity.

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 02:06:03 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

Kobe, Dwight, Pau and Nash in D'Antoni's free-flowing offense is just a frightening... FRIGHTENING thought.  They'll probably drop 180 points a night.   Yes, their defense might suffer a little, but having the best defensive player in the league cleaning up the middle certainly helps.  Don't underestimate Pau Gasol's defense either.  The "no defense" thing is overblown.  D'Antoni has never had a guy like Dwight on his team.  There's only so much defense you could get out of Amare or David Lee in the middle.   

Meanwhile... you so-called Celtic fans disappoint me with your Phil drooling.  Have we forgotten who PhiL Jackson is?  He's the luckiest and most overrated coach in the history of basketball.  How hard is it to win titles with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen?  How hard is it to win titles with Kobe and Shaq?  How hard is it to win titles with Kobe, Pau, etc in their prime?  He deserves a little credit, but just a little.  It delights me that Phil is "stunned" by this decision.  I'd LOVE to see Phil try to coach a mediocre crew of talent like this Celtics team or a team like the Knicks.   The guy is a fraud.  The "Zen Master" thing is razzle dazzle.  Even his famous "triangle" offense isn't even his own.  Gotta hand it to the Lakers for recognizing this about Phil.  The guy was just looking for another major payday and some more coattails to ride to a title.  He didn't even want to travel with the team to away games.  Are you kidding me?  Had Brooklyn landed Dwight HOward along with Deron Williams... you'd be seeing Phil coaching Brooklyn right now.  The guy follows superstars and gets way too much credit for their success.  He probably sat at home crying that Miami won a title... because it eliminated his shot of getting hired by the Heat and riding LeBron to another dynasty. 

The D'antoni signing is scary.   This is a worse case scenario if you ask me.  Here comes Showtime 4G.   

Last note:  The Triangle would have really limited Nash and favored Pau/Kobe.  By limiting Nash, you're limiting Dwight.  By limiting Dwight, you're potentially allowing for the slimmest of possibilities that the Lakers fail this year and Dwight bails in the offseason (along with Chris Paul) to the Mavericks.   Bringing in Mike D means that Dwight is going to spend a season getting constant alley oops playing in a free-flowing blasty blast of an offense.   Even if they could have potentially been "more successful" with Phil, that guy was only signing a 2 year contract at most.  This is probably just as much about keeping Dwight in Laker gold as anything. 

Terrible, Terrible news.

Agree with every word here. This LA crew was built for his style. Couldn't be a better fit, which sucks for the rest of us. If LA gets healthy, things could get ugly for many of us in Laker-hater nation.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 02:07:44 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Terrible, Terrible news.

You can't really discredit Phil. I get what you're preaching but shaq and Kobe played together for three years without a title. Phil steps in and they win three and a row. I mean I don't think that's coincidence or luck. He never had a season at or below 500 and he has a 70% winning percentage. Like him or not, that's not all luck.

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 02:10:44 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
The only team this era of celtics have swept in the playoffs were a team coached by mike dantoni...he was then replaced by MIKE WOODSON.
Mike Brown coached teams gave us fits in the plyoffs.
Phil Jackson coached teams beat us in a game 7 of the finals, albeit we beat him once.

anyone praising this move  or thinking the pieces fit his system is seriously overrating mike dantoni and are very confused...and you actually make me laugh.
Ill be suprised if they make the finals with that clown.

Greg Popovich and even little Scottie Brooks are pointing and laughing somewhere
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:20:05 PM by scaryjerry »

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 02:11:12 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I certainly hope Nash starts showing his age soon. That could help throw a monkey wrench in the works. I want to see Blake forced to get them into something in under 7 seconds.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 02:43:17 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

Terrible, Terrible news.

Greg popovich teams own dantoni coached teams, so ill be surprised if they make the finals. If they do a dantoni coached team will not beat lebron unless you were counting on the celtics making the finals otherwise I don't see why its such terrible news for us....the only team we've swept in the doc era was coached by Mike dantoni.