Author Topic: Homeland (TV Show)  (Read 1784 times)

Homeland (TV Show)
« on: November 12, 2012, 03:58:55 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Anyone into "Homeland"?  I tried watching it when it first aired and couldn't get into it.  The trailers made it look like some ripoff of "A Beautiful Mind" or something.  I had avoided it since.

It won an Emmy for best drama, though... so I reluctantly gave it another shot.  It's pretty entertaining.  I blasted through the entire first season in about a week.

My only gripe has been that Claire Danes' character is incredibly annoying.  My girlfriend couldn't even bother watching it, because of the constant darting eyes and ruffled chin.  She almost overdoes it.  I was thrilled to see SNL make fun of it this week:  http://www.hulu.com/watch/423747?playlist_id=1240 ...  For the most part, she's been a bit less annoying in season 2.

I will say that the best part of the show was something I noticed early on and later heard confirmed in a podcast with the creator... their mentality when writing the show is to make stuff happen BEFORE you expect it to happen.  In other words, you know certain things in the show are inevitable (like Brody and Carrie hooking up), but you don't expect it to happen as quickly as it does.  It's actually really refreshing.  They don't really drag stuff out like most shows do.  Like for instance in "Breaking Bad" where you know from episode 1 that Dean will EVENTUALLY find out about Walt... but they drag that out until the last possible moment.  With "Homeland' they would have shocked you with that inevitable reveal in episode 3 of Season 2 or something... and then from there you're stuck wondering, "wow... where can they go from here?!"   For that, I give it a big thumbs up. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 04:05:38 AM by LarBrd33 »

Re: Homeland (TV Show)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 08:34:51 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Agree with everything you said there. Except on big disappointment for me:

MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT!!!! Do not read on if you don't want to get spoiled!!!!!

Brodie's whole thing (and I'm only at the end of season 1) it just seems like he would really walk away at some point. But he just gets in deeper and deeper whenever he has a flash of morality, it's like terrorist quick sand except nowhere near as inexorable. Just come clean with the government, go into hiding with the family that loves you, walk away.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 08:38:02 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Also the SNL skit nailed it so well.

1) she's having a jazz freak out

2) David, she's only let me down every single time I've trusted her. Give me one reason I shouldn't trust her.

3) Brodie's mouth is way too small. It's like he's always just eaten a lemon.

4) When she draws it out 3 too many 'No, David..no' I lost my stuff. Couldn't. Stop laughing.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 06:38:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Alls I'm sayin is that hiding the video in some park was a really dumb idea. Leave it in your desk. You're dead, they'll find it. Some anonymous drop? Duh doy.

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 06:48:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Alls I'm sayin is that hiding the video in some park was a really dumb idea. Leave it in your desk. You're dead, they'll find it. Some anonymous drop? Duh doy.
I've really enjoyed Season 2 a lot.  Catch up!  It's great.  Although when I discussed the nature of the show (having stuff happen before you expect it to happen) may have been a bit of a spoiler.  Hint hint.

So far this season, I've found Carrie a bit less annoying.  You gotta catch up, though...  it's pretty great.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 06:53:28 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I've really enjoyed Season 2 a lot.  Catch up!  It's great.  Although when I discussed the nature of the show (having stuff happen before you expect it to happen) may have been a bit of a spoiler.  Hint hint.

So far this season, I've found Carrie a bit less annoying.  You gotta catch up, though...  it's pretty great.

You know what's funny? When they had 'X' in their sights, I was thinking about you saying that, 'Stuff happens early'. But I was rationally telling myself that I'd read an interview a month or two ago that said he'd have a mmuch larger role this season.

Just a whole lotta stuff. Episodes 3,4 and 5 tonight. 6 some other time.