Author Topic: Rondo double digit assists streak  (Read 27159 times)

Re: Rondo double digit assists streak
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
He knew it when he got that 10th assist last night.  Big air fist pump.

I thought the streak was done.  Great finish for Rondo and solid win for the C's.

This scared me a bit down the stretch.  I was probably just projecting, but I got the feeling that Rondo was trying really hard to get those assists...to the point that he didn't necessarily have the idea of scoring at any cost in mind.  That can be a bit dangerous.

Yeah, I got the sense that he was pressing a bit in the 4th quarter too.  He was trying hard, almost too hard.  I'm almost certain he's well aware of his stat line but I certainly wouldn't label him selfish, either. I just think he was pushing it a bit got get there last night. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2012, 11:11:15 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I thought the streak was done.  Great finish for Rondo and solid win for the C's.

This scared me a bit down the stretch.  I was probably just projecting, but I got the feeling that Rondo was trying really hard to get those assists...to the point that he didn't necessarily have the idea of scoring at any cost in mind.  That can be a bit dangerous.

Yeah, I got the sense that he was pressing a bit in the 4th quarter too.  He was trying hard, almost too hard.  I'm almost certain he's well aware of his stat line but I certainly wouldn't label him selfish, either. I just think he was pushing it a bit got get there last night.

Oh yeah, I don't think he was being selfish.  I just think it was in the back of his head...which is pretty hard for it not to be.  It is like a pitcher as they are getting into the 7th or 8th inning of a no-hitter.  No matter how much you try not to think about it, its there.  And it might make those pitchers try harder for swings and misses than they normally would, which can backfire.

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2012, 11:13:02 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Yeah that's a concern I had too, but I didn't see it in his play. Early in the game he was very aggressive within the offense too, another good sign.

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2012, 11:13:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Part of that was improved paint defense from the Bulls.

Until those two KG dunks and the Bass freebie at the end they did a much better job of walling off the paint and forcing jump shots.

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2012, 11:15:33 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

Oh yeah, I don't think he was being selfish.  I just think it was in the back of his head...which is pretty hard for it not to be.  It is like a pitcher as they are getting into the 7th or 8th inning of a no-hitter.  No matter how much you try not to think about it, its there.  And it might make those pitchers try harder for swings and misses than they normally would, which can backfire.

Sounds about right.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2012, 11:37:57 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Can't argue with the results. We got 14 points in the last 5 minutes against a good defense after scoring 20 in the last 5 minutes to beat the Bucks on Saturday.

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2012, 11:50:06 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I loved how close he cut it with that last assist - this streak is one of the funner sub-plots we've had in awhile.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Didn't Rondo break Stockton's consecutive games with double digit assists streak (29) tonight ? He has 30 straight games with double digit assists (counting his last 24 games in the 2011-2012 regular season plus 6 games this season). Or does it not count because he did it in between seasons?

He should be 3rd all-time now. Magic's record (44 straight) is within Rondo's sights.

Edit: The media should be all over this. Very significant record Rondo is poised to break.

Running tally:

1. 10 assists vs. Lakers
2. 10 assists vs. Clippers
3. 14 assists vs. Warriors
4. 12 assists vs. Kings
5. 16 assists vs. Nuggets
6. 13 assists vs. Hawks
7. 14 assists vs. Bucks
8. 17 assists vs. 76ers
9. 11 assists vs. Wizards
10. 13 assists vs. Bobcats
11. 14 assists vs. Jazz
12. 17 assists vs. Wolves
13. 14 assists vs. Heat
14. 11 assists vs. Spurs
15. 12 assists vs. Bulls
16. 12 assists vs. Pacers
17. 15 assists vs. 76ers
18. 15 assists vs. Heat
19. 20 assists vs. Hawks
20. 12 assists vs. Raptors
21. 15 assists vs. Nets
22. 16 assists vs. Bobcats
22. 16 assists vs. Bobcats
23. 13 assists vs. Knicks
24. 15 assists vs. Bucks
25. 13 assists vs Heat
26. 11 assists vs Bucks
27. 12 assists vs Wizards
28. 14 assists vs Wizards
29. 20 assists vs 76ers
30. 10 assists vs Bucks
31. 10 assists vs Bulls

if you have time, can you add the dates?  I'd like to use this for a front page post at some point
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2012, 01:25:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

1. 10 assists vs. Lakers - 3/11
2. 10 assists vs. Clippers - 3/12
3. 14 assists vs. Warriors - 3/14
4. 12 assists vs. Kings - 3/16
5. 16 assists vs. Nuggets - 3/17
6. 13 assists vs. Hawks - 3/19
7. 14 assists vs. Bucks - 3/22
8. 17 assists vs. 76ers - 3/23
9. 11 assists vs. Wizards - 3/25
10. 13 assists vs. Bobcats - 3/26
11. 14 assists vs. Jazz - 3/28
12. 17 assists vs. Wolves - 3/30
13. 14 assists vs. Heat - 4/1
14. 11 assists vs. Spurs - 4/4
15. 12 assists vs. Bulls - 4/5
16. 12 assists vs. Pacers - 4/7
17. 15 assists vs. 76ers - 4/8
18. 15 assists vs. Heat - 4/10
19. 20 assists vs. Hawks - 4/11
20. 12 assists vs. Raptors - 4/13
21. 15 assists vs. Nets - 4/14
22. 16 assists vs. Bobcats - 4/15
23. 13 assists vs. Knicks - 4/17
24. 15 assists vs. Bucks - 4/26
25. 13 assists vs Heat - 10/30
26. 11 assists vs Bucks - 11/2
27. 12 assists vs Wizards - 11/3
28. 14 assists vs Wizards - 11/7
29. 20 assists vs 76ers - 11/9
30. 10 assists vs Bucks - 11/10
31. 10 assists vs Bulls - 11/12

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2012, 01:30:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Rondo is off to a MONSTER start through his first 7 games .. he's actually slightly ahead of Chris Paul in efficiency right now as the #1 point guard statistically.  I hope he can keep it up.  He's been huge.

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2012, 03:11:53 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

While he may have known it I think the fist pump was more for getting bass a dunk/clinching the game then about his personal agenda...idk could be wrong

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2012, 06:27:51 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
if you have time, can you add the dates?  I'd like to use this for a front page post at some point

In case you are curious, he is averaging 13.52 assists over these 31 games.

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2012, 06:58:05 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Individual streaks are kinda meaningless, but they're great fun to follow.  Glad to see Rondo keep this one alive. 

Rondo is moving his way up the all-time assist charts, too...he'll be in the top 100 by the end of the year.  Pretty impressive for 26.

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2012, 08:29:16 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
"Rajon Rondo's been given an assist they missed in Milwaukee. That makes 11 for the game and thus a new NBA record 28 straight games of 11+." Via - Sean Grande

this is even more impressive, at least Rondo is #1 in something

Love the fact that Rondo is in the talks with HOF like Stockton and Johnson

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2012, 10:14:03 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
thanks guys
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)