Author Topic: Rondo double digit assists streak  (Read 27247 times)

Rondo double digit assists streak
« on: November 11, 2012, 01:55:13 AM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Didn't Rondo break Stockton's consecutive games with double digit assists streak (29) tonight ? He has 30 straight games with double digit assists (counting his last 24 games in the 2011-2012 regular season plus 6 games this season). Or does it not count because he did it in between seasons?

He should be 3rd all-time now. Magic's record (44 straight) is within Rondo's sights.

Edit: The media should be all over this. Very significant record Rondo is poised to break.

Running tally:

1. 10 assists vs. Lakers
2. 10 assists vs. Clippers
3. 14 assists vs. Warriors
4. 12 assists vs. Kings
5. 16 assists vs. Nuggets
6. 13 assists vs. Hawks
7. 14 assists vs. Bucks
8. 17 assists vs. 76ers
9. 11 assists vs. Wizards
10. 13 assists vs. Bobcats
11. 14 assists vs. Jazz
12. 17 assists vs. Wolves
13. 14 assists vs. Heat
14. 11 assists vs. Spurs
15. 12 assists vs. Bulls
16. 12 assists vs. Pacers
17. 15 assists vs. 76ers
18. 15 assists vs. Heat
19. 20 assists vs. Hawks
20. 12 assists vs. Raptors
21. 15 assists vs. Nets
22. 16 assists vs. Bobcats
22. 16 assists vs. Bobcats
23. 13 assists vs. Knicks
24. 15 assists vs. Bucks
25. 13 assists vs. Heat
26. 11 assists vs. Bucks
27. 12 assists vs. Wizards
28. 14 assists vs. Wizards
29. 20 assists vs. 76ers
30. 11 assists vs. Bucks
31. 10 assists vs. Bulls
32. 10 assists vs. Jazz
33. 20 assists vs. Raptors
34. 10 assists vs. Pistons
35. 15 assists vs. Spurs
36. 16 assists vs. Thunder
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 04:55:11 AM by staticcc »
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

Re: Rondo double digit assists streak
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 01:57:17 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Didn't Rondo break Stockton's consecutive games with double digit assists streak (29) tonight ? He has 30 straight games with double digit assists (counting his last 24 games in the 2011-2012 regular season plus 6 games this season). Or does it not count because he did it in between seasons?
Huh?

Edit:  Oh... I see you aren't counting the playoffs.

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 01:59:23 AM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Huh?

Edit:  Oh... I see you aren't counting the playoffs.

My bad. Stockton's streak of 29 is just 3rd all-time. He has to pass Stockton's other streak (37) and Magic's all-time streak (44) to get the record.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 02:01:53 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
According to this, Magic JOhnson either had a 44 or 46 game streak:

Rondo may pass Stockton Wednesday, then tie Stockton on Friday. Just in case you haven't felt enough of the Rajon Rondo love going around Celtics Life lately, here's one more nugget of information for you: The C's point guard recorded 12 assists in Washington on Saturday night.  Dating back to March 11th of last spring, it marks the 27th consecutive regular season game Rondo has had 10 or more assists.  That ties him for the 4th longest such streak in NBA history. John Stockton actually twice posted 27 game double digit assist streaks, in 1990 and '91.  Stockton also has the 2nd and 3rd best streaks of this kind; 29 games in '92, and 37 straight in '89. The all-time record belongs to Magic Johnson in 1983-84.  Amazingly there are statistical bookkeeping discrepancies though, and it is unclear if Magic's streak was 44 or 46 games.  If Rondo starts getting close, I imagine the true number will come to light.

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 05:31:09 AM »

Offline Josh88

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11
He cut it close today, had 7 assists midway through the 4th and got the 10th with under 2 minutes to go.

It's a very impressive streak and I'm surprised there's not more media coverage. He's up there with the greatest PGs ever now, he should be getting more credit for it. Kidd, Nash, Paul, Williams, etc. aren't even close to him.

He's still got a ways to go to pass Magic though.

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 05:40:09 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
didnt he rack up some absurd numbers 2 seasons ago. Had like 80 odd assists in 4 or 5 games. Just fed shaq the ball.

theres not a better pure pg in the east atm.

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 10:13:31 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
didnt he rack up some absurd numbers 2 seasons ago. Had like 80 odd assists in 4 or 5 games. Just fed shaq the ball.

I believe it was 82 assists through the first 5 games of the 2010-11 season.  Absolutely insane

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 10:14:05 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

He's got 80 assists in the first 6 games of the season. That's happened 6 times since 1985. Twice by Magic, twice by Stockton and twice by Rondo.

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 10:21:06 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Nice streak to follow.

I wonder how numbers conscious Rondo is when he's playing.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 10:28:05 AM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
What's the streak for double doubles? He's been racking up those as well.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 10:30:20 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Nice streak to follow.

Probably a little but not a lot. Last night his streak was looking bad in the second half and he kept feeding Pierce for iso plays that weren't going to get him any assists.

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 10:46:23 AM »

Offline Josh88

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11
Nice streak to follow.

Probably a little but not a lot. Last night his streak was looking bad in the second half and he kept feeding Pierce for iso plays that weren't going to get him any assists.

I think he's very conscious of it, but smart enough to avoid making it a distraction and aggravate his teammates with selfish play. 

He was feeding Pierce while he was hot, but he also threw a few lobs to Garnett in the 4th which had no chance looking for easy assists. He was definitely rushing into plays and trying to penetrate for a kick out more than usual, and calling for the ball every time it wasn't in his hands.

As long as he's not passing up easy scoring opportunities to pass it off then I don't see the problem.

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 10:54:03 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Nice streak to follow.

I think he's very conscious of it, but smart enough to avoid making it a distraction and aggravate his teammates with selfish play. 

He was feeding Pierce while he was hot, but he also threw a few lobs to Garnett in the 4th which had no chance looking for easy assists. He was definitely rushing into plays and trying to penetrate for a kick out more than usual, and calling for the ball every time it wasn't in his hands.

As long as he's not passing up easy scoring opportunities to pass it off then I don't see the problem.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about it.

He's very aware.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 11:06:38 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Nice streak to follow.

If it ends up making him as aggressive as he was penetrating and dishing in the 4th quarter last night, I'm cool with it.  I actually liked most of those lob passes - it got us moving towards the rim.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 11:08:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Nice streak to follow.

If it ends up making him as aggressive as he was penetrating and dishing in the 4th quarter last night, I'm cool with it.  I actually liked most of those lob passes - it got us moving towards the rim.
Yeah one was a bad one where Garnett didn't even break to the hoop, but the others weren't bad at all. KG converted one easy one and just missed another.