Author Topic: Have it on good information that Phil Jackson to the Lakers  (Read 8004 times)

Re: Have it on good information that Phil Jackson to the Lakers
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2012, 11:07:58 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Jackson is such a diva:

When Phil Jackson met with Los Angeles Lakers executive vice president Jim Buss and general manager Mitch Kupchak on Saturday, he asked for travel restrictions, a salary in line with what he previously earned with the Lakers and significantly more say over basketball decisions, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

The travel restrictions would limit the number of road games Jackson would have to attend, a source told ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8616281/sources-phil-jackson-meets-los-angeles-lakers-brass

A coach who doesn't travel to (some) road games?  What a joke.  Talk about commitment to the team, huh?

I hate having to try to be fair to Phil Jackson, but wasn't his "retirement" because his body was/is breaking down?  Like, horrible, horrible back pain?  He's one of the alltime great egotists, but he doesn't need to come back for the money or the glory, he's got plenty of both.  Is it just the physical pain of being cramped onto long flights that's keeping him away?

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2012, 11:10:14 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Jackson is such a diva:

When Phil Jackson met with Los Angeles Lakers executive vice president Jim Buss and general manager Mitch Kupchak on Saturday, he asked for travel restrictions, a salary in line with what he previously earned with the Lakers and significantly more say over basketball decisions, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

The travel restrictions would limit the number of road games Jackson would have to attend, a source told ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8616281/sources-phil-jackson-meets-los-angeles-lakers-brass

A coach who doesn't travel to (some) road games?  What a joke.  Talk about commitment to the team, huh?

I hate having to try to be fair to Phil Jackson, but wasn't his "retirement" because his body was/is breaking down?  Like, horrible, horrible back pain?  He's one of the alltime great egotists, but he doesn't need to come back for the money or the glory, he's got plenty of both.  Is it just the physical pain of being cramped onto long flights that's keeping him away?
I'm sure that's part of the reason he wants to limit his travel, still he's the coach of the team and that requires traveling with the team when at all possible. If you're physically unable to do so, then you probably aren't healthy enough to be an NBA coach.

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2012, 11:10:46 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
he has cancelled a prior engagement he had scheduled to be a keynote speaker at a conference in Chicago on Wednesday. Loooks like Kobe gets his coach back. I dont think this helps the Lakers any, because Phil Jackson is done at this point in his career he willl just milk the Lakers for another 10-15 million dollars. Folks tend to forget that his last year was not so great.

At the end of the day Lakers still have no bench, and no defense. Kobe is slower and hobbled, Nash is old, and Howard is comign off back surgery. As the Celtics are figuring the league is much younger now with kids with spry legs and a lot of energy. You have to be ready to match that night in and night out. The model of the NBA future is not San Antonio, but the Clippers.

Regardless Phil will be much better and more dangerous then Mike Brown and his "taking the ball out of the hands of the most playmaking point guard ever" offense.

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2012, 11:12:05 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Jackson is such a diva:

Unbelievable.  Maybe they'll have a monitor on the bench and he can coach/skype while he sips wine at home in front of his fireplace.

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2012, 11:12:59 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
he has cancelled a prior engagement he had scheduled to be a keynote speaker at a conference in Chicago on Wednesday. Loooks like Kobe gets his coach back. I dont think this helps the Lakers any, because Phil Jackson is done at this point in his career he willl just milk the Lakers for another 10-15 million dollars. Folks tend to forget that his last year was not so great.

At the end of the day Lakers still have no bench, and no defense. Kobe is slower and hobbled, Nash is old, and Howard is comign off back surgery. As the Celtics are figuring the league is much younger now with kids with spry legs and a lot of energy. You have to be ready to match that night in and night out. The model of the NBA future is not San Antonio, but the Clippers.

Regardless Phil will be much better and more dangerous then Mike Brown and his "taking the ball out of the hands of the most playmaking point guard ever" offense.

Doesn't the triangle do the same though?

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2012, 11:49:40 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Jackson is such a diva:

I'm sure that's part of the reason he wants to limit his travel, still he's the coach of the team and that requires traveling with the team when at all possible. If you're physically unable to do so, then you probably aren't healthy enough to be an NBA coach.

Well, isn't that why he *isn't* an NBA coach right now?  He's said that his dream job was coaching the Knicks, there's no doubt in my mind he could have had that job if he wanted it.  If the Lakers are going to convince him to return, they're going to have to REALLY make it worth his while (which is why I'm not sure he does come back).

EDIT: I'm not trying to defend Phil Jackson here, but if someone was trying desperately to hire me to do something that was going to put me in agonizing physical pain several times a week...  I sure as hell would be looking for ways to minimize that as best I could. 

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2012, 12:44:54 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't think Phil Jackson will run the Triangle offense with Steve Nash there.

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2012, 12:47:52 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Jackson is such a diva:

Yeah, I don't think it matters that much if Phil doesn't travel with the team from time to time. It's just some in-game coaching. One of his assistants can easily handle those responsibilities.

It's the big picture stuff you want Phil Jackson for. Developing team identity. Getting guys to understand their roles. Handling egos. Developing cohesiveness / unity in all phases of the game.

If he wants a few games off travel wise, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2012, 01:11:12 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Jackson is such a diva:

Plus wanting more control over the front office operations.

Watch he gets full control and trades steve nash lol, gotta run the triangle!

It's a pity that Steve Nash doesn't have better trade value. That would have been an excellent option.

Pau Gasol looks the odd-man out in LA. I have no idea how they will be to get Pau playing his best basketball alongside those three other stars. He looks a lock to under-perform regularly in big games. LA should look to move him.

I imagine Phil Jackson is unhappy with Steve Blake and Antawn Jamison on the bench also. Probably Artest too.