Author Topic: Are the Celts really a deep team?  (Read 7312 times)

Re: Are the Celts really a deep team?
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2012, 11:22:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
BBD can create. Bass cannot. Bass is consistent and a team player, BBD wants to play like Kobe Bryant.

Both teams got the player they want.

Glen doesn't even create as effectively as he seems to think he does. 

Both Bass and Davis are probably ideally suited to bench roles, but if I have to start a guy like that, I'll take the guy who knows his role and stays within it over the guy who wants to take 20 shots.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2012, 11:25:02 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
We can be if we play up to our potential, this game against the Bulls showed some of our depth
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2012, 08:41:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
BBD can create. Bass cannot. Bass is consistent and a team player, BBD wants to play like Kobe Bryant.

Both Bass and Davis are probably ideally suited to bench roles, but if I have to start a guy like that, I'll take the guy who knows his role and stays within it over the guy who wants to take 20 shots.
Bass is a better fit for Boston but he is not a better player. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2012, 09:48:54 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Debatable. Bass is certainly a smarter player and that goes a long way in a debate such as this.

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2012, 09:52:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Debatable. Bass is certainly a smarter player and that goes a long way in a debate such as this.
How do you figure he's a smarter player? Bass's "basketball iq" isn't on my list of postive attributes for him.

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2012, 09:57:09 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

How do you figure he's a smarter player? Bass's "basketball iq" isn't on my list of postive attributes for him.

Yeah, I agree.  Bass is definitely not what I would consider a smart player.  I think Davis' BBIQ is significantly higher...which is what allows him to close the gap a bit on the significantly more talented Bass.

And I would say the same thing about Sully.

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2012, 11:02:49 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

Yeah, I agree.  Bass is definitely not what I would consider a smart player.  I think Davis' BBIQ is significantly higher...which is what allows him to close the gap a bit on the significantly more talented Bass.

while i'm not actually disagreeing with you i can only think of davis launching a three pointer and doc saying over and over a three? a three?

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2012, 11:17:27 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

while i'm not actually disagreeing with you i can only think of davis launching a three pointer and doc saying over and over a three? a three?
Both Bass/Davis share poor shot selection.

Davis has superior basketball IQ when it comes to seeing angles for drives/passes and defensive situations.

Bass however is a better perimeter defender on switches and is more a true PF than a PF/C like Davis. He's also a far superior jump shooter, which is massive for the C's.