Author Topic: Are the Celts really a deep team?  (Read 7320 times)

Re: Are the Celts really a deep team?
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2012, 02:03:49 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Yes without question. The rotations are killing me though especially sully and bass together.

Point is, take away our starters and a team of. Barbosa, terry, green, Wilcox, darko with Bradley as a 6th man sully 7th Collins 8th could fight for the 8th spot on the east no question.

That's a stretch.  They'd be a long shot to get there.  I couldn't see them beating out teams like Chicago, Milwaukee, Washington, or even Cleveland for the last playoff spot. 

I think they could get twenty-five to thirty games, though (of course, everyone would be p---ed off about that, wanting them to tank for the top pick).

Anyway, yes, I agree we have a strong bench (on paper, anyway).
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2012, 02:11:22 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yes without question. The rotations are killing me though especially sully and bass together.

Point is, take away our starters and a team of. Barbosa, terry, green, Wilcox, darko with Bradley as a 6th man sully 7th Collins 8th could fight for the 8th spot on the east no question.

That's a stretch.  They'd be a long shot to get there.  I couldn't see them beating out teams like Chicago, Milwaukee, Washington, or even Cleveland for the last playoff spot. 

I think they could get twenty-five to thirty games, though (of course, everyone would be p---ed off about that, wanting them to tank for the top pick).

Anyway, yes, I agree we have a strong bench (on paper, anyway).

Agreed. Fighting for but certainly not a lock. We could give a roseless bulls and the bucks competition for the 8th spot. We would be near or below 500 which is the going rate for an 8th seed in the east these days.

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 02:17:50 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
The C's play system is very complicated. It may take a while for the new players to completely memorize some plays. Once the chemistry clicks, this team will be extremely deep.

We'll maybe we should give IQ tests prior to employ. LOL, a complicated system. Maybe we should un-complicate things. Let em run free. Doc has 5 to dress, what would he do with 11 such as in the NFL where some spark is needed in the Cranial area.  Now there's a Science. My Mother In Law coudda Coached the Big 3 and Posey the 1st year. If Doc is drawing up these complicated plays give em each a Tom Tom. Now the Celtic Girls they got some complicated maneuvers.

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2012, 02:22:23 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
The Celtics are pretty deep in the 1/2/3 positions, but just aren't very good down low.  Garnett is still an above average player, but Boston has one of the worst starting PF's in basketball and has no truly talented depth on the bench at the 4 or 5.  Sullinger may become an average backup PF by the end of the year, but otherwise this team is in trouble.  It is sadly the reality of this team and why I truly believe that Boston is going to make a move at the deadline using Bradley, Sullinger, Green, and/or Bass (along with picks) to upgrade the PF or C position.  That truly is the only way Boston is going to compete for a title.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2012, 03:16:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Personally I'd like to trade a little deepness for Smith or K. Love.... ;D

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2012, 03:34:30 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
This team was declared one of the deepest teams in the league before the season started. One of the best benches too. Now all of a sudden we aren't deep? When does the coach get the blame? God forbid we EVER put blame on doc rivers.

Have you been reading this blog lately?  All people are doing is blaming Doc Rivers for our poor start.

This sounds like an age old argument of the talented players get all the credit when the team is successful and the coach gets all the blame when the team struggles (Except in the Red Sox case, everybody deservedly gets thrown under the bus and run over again and again).

The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2012, 05:06:11 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
This team was declared one of the deepest teams in the league before the season started. One of the best benches too. Now all of a sudden we aren't deep? When does the coach get the blame? God forbid we EVER put blame on doc rivers.

Have you been reading this blog lately?  All people are doing is blaming Doc Rivers for our poor start.

This sounds like an age old argument of the talented players get all the credit when the team is successful and the coach gets all the blame when the team struggles (Except in the Red Sox case, everybody deservedly gets thrown under the bus and run over again and again).

Players get most of the credit when they win not all of it. And they deserve most of it. They are the ones out there putting the ball in the basket and playing defense. When the team loses *ESPECIALLY WHEN THE COACH HAS ENOUGH TALENT TO WIN* then obviously the coach gets alot of the blame as he should.

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2012, 05:35:17 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93

Players get most of the credit when they win not all of it. And they deserve most of it. They are the ones out there putting the ball in the basket and playing defense. When the team loses *ESPECIALLY WHEN THE COACH HAS ENOUGH TALENT TO WIN* then obviously the coach gets alot of the blame as he should.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Boston_Celtics_seasons

We've won our division every year since the Garnett trade. In my opinion we've been in title contention every year since then. I don't expect this year to be any different.

We are a deep team and we have a good coach. Because we have more pieces this year and a lot of them are new, it might take longer to figure out our identity. Talent doesn't mean much if there's no execution and no defined roles. Doc's in the process of experimenting to find out guys' roles. After that we'll need time to gel. Give it some time.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2012, 06:05:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Boston has one of the worst starting PF's in basketball

Alongside Rondo, Bradley/Lee/Terry, Pierce, and Garnett, I'll take Brandon Bass over:

- whatever trash Charlotte has starting
- Tristan Thompson
- whoever Detroit trots out next to Monroe
- any of Houston's stable of inexperienced PFs
- whoever Orlando trots out there
- Luis Scola
- J.J. Hickson
- Thomas Robinson / Jason Thompson
- Diaw / Blair / Splitter
- whoever Toronto is starting next to Bargs

That's 10 starting PFs that are, in my opinion, less desirable for our team than Brandon Bass.  Which is to say that Bass is by no means a star, but he's a great fit for our team and he's good enough to be a solid starter or an above average backup. 

He's one of the deadliest spot-up mid-range shooters in the league, and he's a vastly underrated individual defender, especially considering his size.  I think he's terrible at center, and I don't like that Doc has been playing him there for significant stretches, but when he isn't asked to do too much, I think Bass is great.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2012, 07:33:27 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we are deep in wing players but lack quality bigs in depth.

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2012, 07:55:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I think we are deep in wing players but lack quality bigs in depth.

Specifically, we lack players who can give us quality minutes at the 5.  Bass, Sullinger, Wilcox, Garnett, and even Green in limited minutes -- these are all at least quality 4s.  But with the exception of Garnett (who has substantial mismatch advantages), none of them is ideal at the 5. 

The only true 5s we have on the roster are career backups with very severe deficiencies on the offensive end.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2012, 09:51:24 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Boston has one of the worst starting PF's in basketball

Alongside Rondo, Bradley/Lee/Terry, Pierce, and Garnett, I'll take Brandon Bass over:

- whatever trash Charlotte has starting
- Tristan Thompson
- whoever Detroit trots out next to Monroe
- any of Houston's stable of inexperienced PFs
- whoever Orlando trots out there
- Luis Scola
- J.J. Hickson
- Thomas Robinson / Jason Thompson
- Diaw / Blair / Splitter
- whoever Toronto is starting next to Bargs

That's 10 starting PFs that are, in my opinion, less desirable for our team than Brandon Bass.  Which is to say that Bass is by no means a star, but he's a great fit for our team and he's good enough to be a solid starter or an above average backup. 

He's one of the deadliest spot-up mid-range shooters in the league, and he's a vastly underrated individual defender, especially considering his size.  I think he's terrible at center, and I don't like that Doc has been playing him there for significant stretches, but when he isn't asked to do too much, I think Bass is great.
Bargs is the starting PF in Toronto.  I'd take Mullens (from Charlotte) over Bass.  For all Big Baby's faults he is better than Bass as well. 

I'd call Thompson, Maxiell, Scola, Diaw, and Hickson washes.

Bass is presently better than Robinson and Patterson, but that won't last much longer. 

Booker from Washington is the only starting PF that I would call clearly worse than Bass that probably won't be better than him any time soon. 

You are correct that Bass fits in better on this roster than some of those guys, but that doesn't make Bass somehow better than he is.  He is just not a good starter.  He is much better suited as a 1st or 2nd big man sub.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2012, 10:49:50 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
bass seemed to do pretty well tonight against a front-court of noah/gibson/boozer....hes one of our most consistent players last year/this year so far

and his game seems to have improved since coming to boston. Hes alot better defensively out there.

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2012, 11:03:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
For all Big Baby's faults he is better than Bass as well. 

I'll grant you some of the things you said, but I have to draw the line here.

Bass is, at least to me, clearly a better player than Glen Davis.  Glen is not nearly as efficient a scorer; his mid-range jumper can't touch Brandon's, and he certainly can't finish at the rim in traffic the way that Brandon can.  Glen has his moments, there's no doubt.  He can get hot and score 20+ points in a game -- especially if he's on a team lacking in scorers to take shots away from him.  But on a nightly basis I'll take Brandon over Glen, hands down.  Bass is also light years better as an individual and team defender. 

Glen was good at taking charges while he was here, but he never made the kind of athletic defensive plays that Bass makes nearly every game, and he didn't have the agility to switch like Brandon does.  In Glen's favor is that his bigger size and strength allow him to body up opposing centers, while Brandon really can't spend any kind of time defending 5s.

The trade that brought Bass to Boston was a slam dunk by Ainge.  Easily one of his best moves in the past 5 years.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2012, 11:08:56 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
BBD can create. Bass cannot. Bass is consistent and a team player, BBD wants to play like Kobe Bryant.

Both teams got the player they want.