Author Topic: Are we going to lose Darko?  (Read 4231 times)

Are we going to lose Darko?
« on: November 10, 2012, 08:06:35 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
We picked up a guy who has been labeled a bust because he never lived up to expected potential. When he got here, though, becoming a C, playing with KG, coached by Doc, he seemingly started to transform to a player who put his past behind him and really started to "buy in" to our system and just try to be the best player he could be.  And it was working! He, arguably was one of our best performers in preseason.  You could just see the competitor coming back out in him.
Fast forward to the regular season. Buried on the bench. Four minutes in one game. His wrist is bothering him, but he said it wasn't serious and just something he'd be playing through all season, and that it wouldn't affect him that much.
Attitudes have a way of souring quickly though when you kindle a lost fire in someone, and then just as quickly douse it.  He just showed so much potential, in areas that we desperately need, that it's really ticking me off that Doc has just turned his back on him!

Re: Are we going to lose Darko?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 08:19:41 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
id love to lose him.  addition by subtraction

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 08:29:58 AM »

Offline BMark3

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
We should be using Darko and Jason Collins when KG is not in the game.  Teams are utterly unafraid of driving to the basket when KG is on the bench.  Collins, although not a shot blocker, knows how to play interior defense.  Darko can block shots and generally gives us six hard fouls.

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 08:38:30 AM »

Offline chenaren

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
Is Darko able to play now? He is definitely a serviceable backup center. Let's hope Doc is not obsessed with the small linups.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 08:58:26 AM »

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
Attitudes have a way of souring quickly though when you kindle a lost fire in someone, and then just as quickly douse it.

Do you have a link for this?

My guess is Doc is trying to get some continuity in his rotations, and right now he wants to play small-ish.  Wilcox, Sullinger, he wants guys who can run the floor.  He's said publicly that the goal for the season is beating Miami.  Personally, I still think the championship "formula" involves quality defensive-minded bigs, and I would like to see what Darko can bring to the table, but I also think Wilcox is a better player, plays better with Rondo especially, and is most likely a better match against Miami.

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 09:00:53 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
We don't need to play Darko hurt.  It doesn't make any sense, especially when none of our 4 bigs have done anything to make Doc question their minutes.

Let him keep resting it and continue to play him situationaly.

I think Darko's skillset puts him at an immediate disadvantage for minutes anyway.  He has two things working against him.  He doesn't space the floor the way Bass and Sully do, and he can't rebound the way Wilcox and Sully can.  That means he's going to have to be a game-changer defensively if he wants to contribute anything.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 09:16:08 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Not playing him hasn't been so successful so why not give him a shot.  He could provide what this team needs, an interior presence.  If he's ineffective you sit him again and play Bass or Wilcox.  I'm all set with seeing Green at the 4 though.

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 09:40:09 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I wish Danny had signed Chris Andersen instead of Darko.

Andersen, with his superior quickness / mobility, would have been a such a good fit.

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 10:33:16 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
We dont really know what Darko has to offer yet. We havent seen him in enough regular season game minutes. We are stuck with Doc's obsession with his current rotation behind KG.

There have certainly been enough instances where we are getting pushed around (bullied) in the paint by Seraphin and Lavoy Allen in the past two games to warrant a question as to why Darko isnt playing when this happens.

Also it seems to me that the guys who should be setting picks and rebounding are being used as scorers. Who is doing the dirty work out there?

Will our sports media people even ask? What does Tommy think?  ???
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 10:41:46 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Andersen, with his superior quickness / mobility, would have been a such a good fit.

I wish doc would freakin' play him! Every time we have put a 7 footer on the floor god things have happened in the past few years. Using sully and bass at the big slots isn't going to work, we are going to keep getting pummeled inside... Freeeeee darko!

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 10:53:18 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Like everybody else, I don't like the Sully/Bass lineups.  That's why Doc's been working Wilcox into the rotation.  Chris hasn't disappointed, and I'm sure we'll keep seeing him get more minutes as he rounds into shape.  In that case, I don't see a pressing need to get Darko in games. 

If Darko's feelings are hurt, then that's on him.  He was never guaranteed minutes as far as I was concerned, to begin with. 

We'll probably need him at some point.  If he can't stay engaged while riding the pine for awhile, then all the negative stuff they've been saying about him all along is true. 

I'm hoping that he'll conduct himself as a professional.  At least, we know Collins isn't likely to get mopey over playing time.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 10:56:23 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

I wish doc would freakin' play him! Every time we have put a 7 footer on the floor god things have happened in the past few years. Using sully and bass at the big slots isn't going to work, we are going to keep getting pummeled inside... Freeeeee darko!

We need a big out there for sure, but I don't know if it has to be Darko. He looked alarmingly bad in the few minutes he got against Milwaukee

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 11:00:53 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
It's a small sample. We also saw how good he was during the pre-season. That's why whether he will be good or bad, Doc needs to give him minutes for assessment. Give him a few minutes in few games and if he's not effective then replace him with another big until Doc figures the best lineup.

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 11:04:07 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
It's a small sample. We also saw how good he was during the pre-season. That's why whether he will be good or bad, Doc needs to give him minutes for assessment. Give him a few minutes in few games and if he's not effective then replace him with another big until Doc figures the best lineup.

Can't really argue w/ that.

Especially w/ Andersen still available. Might be best to give him some early minutes to see if there's a use for him, and if not - it's time for the birdman to fly

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 12:32:38 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I wish we play him, because we could, confidence wise.

Not that he's a superstar, but he has a lot to offer for us, mainly his shot blocking. And lets not forget he can hit midrange and a very underrated passer.

We need to play big, KG is not intimidating anymore. Bass and Sully is not intimidating no one. Darko atleast will give us a shot blocking presence, and we might kill his confidence and when we need him, it'll be too late.

Let's remember, this guy reportedly was offered a lot of money to play in Europe, stayed and chose to play for us for less because he saw something to this team. I just don't want him losing all confidence because he's not getting a role. 

Pearljammer is right.

#FreeDarko
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace