Author Topic: Who is the toughest player in the NBA?  (Read 4572 times)

Who is the toughest player in the NBA?
« on: November 10, 2012, 05:40:11 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
For me it's hard to pick because a lot of players are tough- they grew up hard and have lived a hard life before their riches and fame.

Rondo is tough and plays through pain and gets hammered- same as Kobe.

Artest is tough because he's 100% insane and will fight anyone.

Ben Wallace is (was? retired?)probably the strongest guy in the league and could crush most other players.

Derrick Rose is tough because he always goes hard at the rim no matter what- and plays through pain like Rondo and Kobe.

For me though, toughness is also someone who would back his team mates up in a dark alley no matter what the circumstances and no matter who the opponent was- on or off the court.
Not many true guys like that getting paid millions of dollars and ready to rumble 24/7.

My tough guy is Stephen Jackson of the Spurs.
Baddest man in the NBA.

Who's your NBA tough guy?  Doesn't have to be a street tough guy like Jackson, it could be anyone. Just give us a few if you have to.
Might make a poll out of the top 5 after we get some replies.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Who is the toughest player in the NBA?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 05:55:34 AM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle
Umm.. KG?
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 06:57:02 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Bird, Rondo, Isaiah Thomas (before he went nuts), Mahorn, Salley, Laimbeer
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 06:59:48 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

was thinking more of modern players that are still playing or played in the last year...those guys you mention are all legends of the clothesline.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 07:02:05 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
Umm.. KG?

I think that KG is the mentally toughest player in the NBA. Tim Duncan is up there too.
Lebron has earned my respect after his performances against us in the playoffs. His game 6 effort last year was the stuff of legends.
Wade and Lebron are both mentally tough even though I hate Wade I admit he's an intimidator even if he is cheap.
I'd love it if he were on my team- same way everyone wishes they had KG.

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 07:11:15 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 07:23:41 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
guy i want to be with me in a dark alley is probably Perk

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 08:05:29 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
for me u could toss a coin between gerald wallace and iggy

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 08:27:01 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Darko ...is like a giant gothic warrior from some XBOX game.  He whole image is imtimidating. This guy looks like he could just tear people apart if he was PO'd...he is the MEANEST looking player in the NBA.

KG ...walks the walk & talks the talk on mental and physical tuffness.  Ulimate NBA warrior. He is just getting too old .

Perk ...has the best scowl in the NBA , a gentle giant that does a great job being tuff on the court. Very tuff and hard to intimidate

Kobe ..is able to play and absorb more pain than humanly possible. He is either on huge meds or mentally his wires are crossed. I don't see how he keeps going.

Steve Nash ....one tuff little white man. He gets pummeled like a rag doll and comes back for more.

CP3 /Rondo .... is tuff as nails and plays though alot of adversity on the court.

Kevin Love ....is a ruff customer on the court. Reminds me of Kevin McCale. His stock will rise as a tuff guy , he'll get meaner I think as he gets older , and his skills decline.

Tim Duncan ... is a very tuff man mentally and phyically too.
LBJ .... plays off pure athletic abilitiy, is like an animal on the hunt for food when he is on the court . He doesn't think much , hsi body just reacts and does amazing things. and he endures alot of punishment.

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 09:15:39 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I like that Steve Nash was mentioned, not conventionally tough but bloody him up and he'll come right back out twice as hard as before.

Can't believe no one's said Pierce though.  Life-threatening condition, was told it was a huge risk coming back so early, and what does he do?  Drops 28.

Matt Barnes probably isn't all that tough but deserves to be in conversation just because I've never seen anybody get so involved with Kobe (possibly the toughest) for an entire game like that.

Gotta give Andre Miller a shout out, played in 632 consecutive games until he got suspended for throwing a guy way bigger and more athletic (Griffin) 5 feet like a rag doll.

Edit:  Guys like Blair should get credit too for being a force despite their size.  Don't underestimate what it's like to be under the basket in the NBA, never mind with guys that tower over you (Wallace was easily the toughest guy for the entire last decade, head and shoulders above anyone else).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 10:07:04 AM by mgent »
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 09:24:30 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

if we are including dinosaur-era history players, i would throw in dave cowens as well.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 09:44:10 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Really guys?  John Havelick is the only name that should come to mind for all-time.

How else do you play 1,442 out of 1,475 games?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 09:50:29 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Kobe

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 09:55:22 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Umm.. KG?

I Love KG but no way, most of the tough guy act is just that, an act. Let me know the first time he elbows someone who isn't a Euro or a Rookie.

I dunno, so many of the NBA tough guys now are actors who know they won't get Mchale'd so they act big and bad...I'd probley go with (vomit) Kobe or Iggy.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion