Author Topic: Can Avery Bradley turn this debacle around?  (Read 2602 times)

Can Avery Bradley turn this debacle around?
« on: November 10, 2012, 02:08:06 AM »

Offline Hardcore Fan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
Got a txt tonight from a buddy.  "I'm becoming a Clippers fan". I replied, "I'm reserving judgement till AB comes back". I seem to remember things really clicking when AB got involved last year. Can he do it again ?  Cuz, while I kow it's "early", it is ugly at the moment.

Re: Can Avery Bradley turn this debacle around?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 02:11:46 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
He can help us a ton defensively, that's for sure. He can stop guys like Jrue Holiday from getting constant dribble penetration where it forces KG to help leaving their man open for putbacks or to eat up the glass. His defense is also contagious.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 02:38:42 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I think he will certainly help in a massive way. Avery Bradley will pretty much help us two major areas:

1. Chemisty
2. Defense

First of all Bradley has been with this team for two years - he knows the other starter's tendancies/strengths/weaknesses and they know his.

Secondly his aggressive defense on the perimeter will limit the number of opportunities opposing teams have to get into the paint on dribble penetration.  This is a very big factor because out bigs (outside of KG) are clearly struggling to defend the paint once opposing teams do get inside.

To be honest even on offense he will help.  Rondo and Bradley had amazing chemstry last year, and when Bradley looked to cut Rondo always knew where to find him.

Another plus is it moves Lee to the bench, and I think Lee is going to be much better with the second unit than he is with the starters. He's definately got an advantage over most teams' second tier SG, but he's at a disadvantage against most teams' starters. 

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 03:37:42 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
yawn...i remember what people were saying last year at the start of the season.
It's hardly a debacle being 2-3 with this many new players.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 03:41:24 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
I think he will certainly help in a massive way. Avery Bradley will pretty much help us two major areas:

1. Chemisty
2. Defense

First of all Bradley has been with this team for two years - he knows the other starter's tendancies/strengths/weaknesses and they know his.

Secondly his aggressive defense on the perimeter will limit the number of opportunities opposing teams have to get into the paint on dribble penetration.  This is a very big factor because out bigs (outside of KG) are clearly struggling to defend the paint once opposing teams do get inside.

To be honest even on offense he will help.  Rondo and Bradley had amazing chemstry last year, and when Bradley looked to cut Rondo always knew where to find him.

Another plus is it moves Lee to the bench, and I think Lee is going to be much better with the second unit than he is with the starters. He's definately got an advantage over most teams' second tier SG, but he's at a disadvantage against most teams' starters.

Tommy Point. Brilliant, if he's sound he can do it again like when Allen went down we went up up and away.

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 03:48:01 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I will reserve my comments till next game..
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 04:01:07 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
What debacle?

I dislike losing, too - but give this thing some time.

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 09:46:16 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
2-3 5 games in is a debacle now days eh?

I mean, we should be 3-2 no doubt, that loss to the bucks was atrocious, but I'm going to wait till 10 games at least to start panicking.

One thing i would like to see is more chirs wilcox
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 09:50:25 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

Why does it seem that other teams with lots of new players and missing some of their stars -- Knicks, Mavericks for two -- seem to be able to come together and win games early?

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 10:00:41 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Why does it seem that other teams with lots of new players and missing some of their stars -- Knicks, Mavericks for two -- seem to be able to come together and win games early?

I dunno, why is Indiana 2-4? That team is good and is returning alot of the same core.

You think the Bucks or Knicks are as good as their record says they are?

Are the Lakers a Last Place team?

Think the Timberwolves are really as good as their 4-1 record says?

It's 5 games in. I know people want to make snap, in the moment judgements now, but the NBA season is closer to Baseball than it is to football. If we're 4-6 when 10 games are gone, or worse, then I think we need to take a hard look in the mirror. 2-3 I'm not overly concerned.

Would I like them to play better? Yes, obviously. I'm just not in panic mode yet.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 10:06:57 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Bradley will help but he can't turn this mess around single handedly

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 10:08:50 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

All that's needed to turn this mess around is a few weeks of playing together and Doc getting rotations down.

As has been mentioned, I'd like to see less sully and bass at the same time, thats an awful defensive lineup.

Either guy is fine with me, but it should be alongisde KG, Wilcox or even darko.

Play Jeff Green at the 3, please. He gets so much more aggressive when they do this, both offensively and defensively. I know they think he can out quick 4's, but so far that isn't the case.

Rather have him overpowering 3's, which he seems more comfortable doing.

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 10:34:01 AM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
He can make us a lot better, yes. But it's also true that this group needs time. The championship team didn't need a ton of time but those additions were KG, Ray, Posey and House. VERY specific roles they all had. Adding Lee, Terry, Green, Sully, and so on is a whole different thing.

As others are saying Doc needs to figure out his rotations too. When Avery comes back he knows he can trust him. If you throw out KG(28), Bass(28), PP(30), Avery(28), and Rajon(38), well, we have had those starters together before. And they were a very solid group. We know that works. I have left 88 minutes for the bench and between Lee, Sully, Green, Terry and Barbosa, 3 or 4 of them have to take turns coming through. But as bench guys coming in for my starting group their rolls seem clearer to me: Leandro and Terry need to add scoring; Sully needs to board and do the little things; Lee has to add big d, run and hit some corner threes. Green needs to run AND PLAY HARD D ON WINGS and get PP rest. Whether they can do their rolls I dunno but those are their rolls

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 10:37:03 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

All that's needed to turn this mess around is a few weeks of playing together and Doc getting rotations down.

As has been mentioned, I'd like to see less sully and bass at the same time, thats an awful defensive lineup.

Either guy is fine with me, but it should be alongisde KG, Wilcox or even darko.

Play Jeff Green at the 3, please. He gets so much more aggressive when they do this, both offensively and defensively. I know they think he can out quick 4's, but so far that isn't the case.

Rather have him overpowering 3's, which he seems more comfortable doing.
I concur this. The reason Green is ineffective so far is because they are not playing to his strength and he is not getting involve in plays.

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 10:39:58 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I think he can add something but at the same time we might take a step back chemistry wise when he returns. At that point hopefully doc will know kind of his rotation and player will be falling into decent roles. Trying to add another player who needs good minutes might again cause a chemistry/rotation problem for a short period of time.

And I'm also in the Bradley is overrated/being relied on waaaaay to heavily as being a savior. So I don't think he will be able to turn anything around but the team as a whole will. I mean it's five games. We are nowhere near a debacle yet.