Author Topic: Mike Brown fired  (Read 14867 times)

Re: Mike Brown fired
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2012, 05:33:27 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
CBSSports is reporting that Phil Jackson is ready to come back once again.

I think Kobe has been behind the scenes calling Jackson , I don't think Brown gets fired UNLESS there isa 99% chance Jackson will be coach again.

It was a setup , soon as Jackson caved , Kobe had the Busses put the torch to Brown.

You watch that hated Jackson will be back...nobody else can turn it around that quick...KOBE is getting old and they need to WIN NOW .. ::)  bad language ..bad language ...flying though my head. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/20904962/no-shortage-of-obvious-candidates-to-replace-mike-brown-as-lakers-coach

I don't think that insinuated Phil Jackson wanted to come back to the Lakers. I think I remember hearing he wanted to be back coaching in the NBA some months earlier.
From CBSSports

Phil Jackson: While it isn't clear if the Lakers have contacted their former coach yet, it is widely known Jackson, 67, is healthy, ready to go and interested.

He's interested in coaching again where you know, the seat is open. Does not mean he wants to coach the Lakers again.

There has been NO reports of Phil actually saying, "Yup, I want to run the team again." If there was, do you honestly think the Lakers would even consider searching at the moment?
That's not Phil's style he's not going to come out and say he wants the job but if they ask him don't think he'd turn it down
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2012, 05:42:14 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Why are they going for an offensive minded coach?  It's their defense and TOs that are killing the Lakers.

When you can score efficiently, you can get away with a weaker defense.

Not to mention, the talent they have suggests they should be a much better offensive team.  They need to maximize that.

Until round 2

I disagree with this.  The Suns never had defenders like Howard or Kobe, or even Gasol for that matter. 

This Lakers team have the players to be good enough defensively, while being dominant offensively.  That is enough to go very deep.
I pretty much agree with this.  D'Antoni is a great offensive coach.  Why couldn't they just hire a great defensive coach as assistant and have both bases covered?

« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2012, 06:17:24 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Who thinks Kobe has something to do with this?

« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2012, 06:25:58 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
Excellent news. Never deserved the job in the first place.

I'd love to see Mike Brown go back to being an assistant coach under a high level technician. Maybe a Rick Carlisle in Dallas. Somebody like that. Someone Mike Brown can learn off of and improve his in game decision making and man-management of star players.

Brown does have some good qualities. He just needs to improve some of those weaknesses. He is still young. He could easily come back in 2-4 years time and establish himself as one of the top coaches in the business if he actually works on flaws ... instead of ignoring them and pretending they don't exist and they don't limit him as a Head Coach as he has done since he left Cleveland.

I was reading so fast I thought you were saying you hoped he would go back to being an assistant coach in high school.  I misread you but that does seem about right to me.

« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2012, 06:31:58 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Long, long overdue ... great guy, poor coach, IMHO.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2012, 06:34:38 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
lol...as a lifelong Diehard Celtics Fan, I can only gloat over ANY discord in LakerLand.

But I think Mike Brown is a fall guy, here.

I think they should've given him more time.

Well, in any event, I'll continue to eat my popcorn and hope for further rumblings from LA.

I must admit, though - I do hope they (Lakers) get it together. I'd love BOS to get one more wack at them in June. That 09-10 finals is still painful for me.

« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2012, 06:36:27 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Who thinks Kobe has something to do with this?
I doubt it. Mike Brown let him do whatever he wanted to do.

I would say it came from an impatient ownership. They wanted a coronation and instead got a train wreck. It didn't fit their pretty little vision for how things should have gone.

« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2012, 06:51:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
How was Brown supposed to win , when Kobe doesn't practice in 4-5 weeks, Nash is out , he has a scrub bench , Howard is still trying to get back up to full steam.  The players are learning a new system and each other. He was a marked man ...he didn't have a prayer.

Top this off with reports of Jackson been seen hanging at a  Lakers practice recently, DOES he not have something else to do during retirment?

IMO ... Ol Lady Buss , had a plan going from outside influences to hang Brown out to dry,   

You don't FIRE a good coach 10 days into the season on the spur of the moment  IF you don't already have somebody waiting in the shadows who you KNOW will do a better job.  Magic Johnson hated Brown as a coach , said so on TV last year as the Lakers got knocked out.

I think a "MAYBE informal agreementt " was discussed between the Buss 's and Jackson behind the scenes. Pushed my Magic Johnson and others outside the direct team. 

It has to be because somebody KNOWs that Jackson WILL come backback... he is the ONLY guy that can do this in this circumstancses and if not , next year he give them another banner.

Brown was axed to let Jackson back in.   

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 07:00:26 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2012, 07:08:51 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'd be totally shocked if Phil Jackson goes back to LA.

There were some rumblings about him butting heads with the leadership, there - not sure why he'd want to go back there.

« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2012, 07:17:24 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Should superstars like Kobe and Dwight make a team better than 1 and 4?

« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2012, 09:20:06 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Jackson should be named coach by Tuesday .  Saying they are looking sounds like a smoke screen to me...Jackson was being lead back in by the Buss's ..by alot of different people with a LA say.... the TV contract people were upset too...Mike is an average nice guy , he is not a flashy kinda guy like Riley/JAckson, everybody on the LAKERS has to be a supestar to keep the huge following happy. its the HOLLYWOOD mentallity.

I HOPE NOT ....but I really can't see anybody else besides Riley/Jackson who can turn it around on this SHORT NOTICE with a better chance than Mike Brown had???? Can you ????

« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2012, 09:28:23 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't think Jerry Buss or Jim Buss will want Phil Jackson back with Steve Nash there.

« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2012, 06:40:59 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Can we get Mike Brown to be part of our coaching staff?

He knows a lot about Bron and Kobe. I'd be sure he would want to get even with those guys.

« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2012, 08:56:28 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Who's Mike Brown?
And why is there seven pages on him?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2012, 10:34:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Who's Mike Brown?
And why is there seven pages on him?

He was the nice dude recently thrown under the bus by ex LAKER players, media, owners ,GM 's of major advertisers all needing the Lakers to win it all this year. (kobe is getting old )  And replace him with Kobes adopted father figure /nannie and Magic Johnsons hero.  Oh, anything goes long as the Lakers best interest and it's "BIG MARKET" are at happy. ;D