Author Topic: Mike Brown fired  (Read 14890 times)

Re: Mike Brown fired
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2012, 03:50:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
CBSSports is reporting that Phil Jackson is ready to come back once again.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/20904962/no-shortage-of-obvious-candidates-to-replace-mike-brown-as-lakers-coach

I don't think that insinuated Phil Jackson wanted to come back to the Lakers. I think I remember hearing he wanted to be back coaching in the NBA some months earlier.
From CBSSports

Phil Jackson: While it isn't clear if the Lakers have contacted their former coach yet, it is widely known Jackson, 67, is healthy, ready to go and interested.

« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2012, 03:53:25 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Well, what we actually have been seeing is a lot more guys who were previously in between vet minimum and MLE type players being forced to take the minimum, because the new rules are squeezing the middle class, so to speak.  So, when they are forced to take the minimum, then they end up choosing to chase a ring, and the rich get richer.

Like who?

Mike

Just looking at the C's, Barbosa, Darko, and Wilcox wouldn't have been vet minimum players a couple years ago.

On the Knicks, Ronnie Brewer wouldn't have been a vet minimum guy, and the Nets have Josh Childress and Andray Blatche.

Ronny Turiaf and Antawn Jamison are also guys who would have likely gotten more than the minimum a few years ago.

« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2012, 03:55:58 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
And then after two years they'll have room for multiple max contracts and multiple players who will want to play there.

We are three years away from multiple threads complaining about how unfair a Kevin Love and Dwight Howard frontcourt is and how it was all a David Stern conspiracy.

1.  Two years is a long time.

2.  With the new salary rules in the NBA, I suspect that we're going to see far fewer guys willing to give up extra dollars to ring chase until they're at the very end of their careers.

Mike

1. Two years is a long time but my post was in reply to an earlier poster saying this team has a two year window.  If this team does have a two year window, there is no reason to believe they won't be able to reload once again.  In the mean time, two years is a long time, as you stated.

2. I disagree, we even saw that with Courtney Lee this year to our own Celtics.  New salary rules don't change human nature.  But even outside of that, the Lakers should have max cap room in that thime anyway.

Well, what we actually have been seeing is a lot more guys who were previously in between vet minimum and MLE type players being forced to take the minimum, because the new rules are squeezing the middle class, so to speak.  So, when they are forced to take the minimum, then they end up choosing to chase a ring, and the rich get richer.

Like who?

Mike

Just looking at the C's, Barbosa, Darko, and Wilcox wouldn't have been vet minimum players a couple years ago.

On the Knicks, Ronnie Brewer wouldn't have been a vet minimum guy, and the Nets have Josh Childress and Andray Blatche.

Ronny Turiaf and Antawn Jamison are also guys who would have likely gotten more than the minimum a few years ago.

Bingo again.  Beat me to it.

« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2012, 03:58:27 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'd be surprised if Phil Jackson came back to manage that roster. Difficult group of players.

I do think he could be tempted out of retirement for the right offer though.

« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
This is where I smile at the fact that we have a better coach than the Lakers...playing point guard for us every night.

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2012, 04:11:48 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I don't think the head coach is the only important piece here.  I think they need something like what the Celts had in '08 - a head coach able to manage veterans and a defensive minded assistant coach.

I think D'Antoni would be a great head coach for them b/c he would command their respect as an intelligible basketball mind, already has a great relationship with Nash, and has not clashed with superstars in the past (while not being as successful in NYK as in Phx, but that reason is up for debate). 

Are there any good defensive minds out there available to serve as an assistant coach in this regime?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2012, 04:12:07 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'd be surprised if Phil Jackson came back to manage that roster. Difficult group of players.

I do think he could be tempted out of retirement for the right offer though.
ESPN is beating the Phil drum, he canceled some speaking engagment in the coming week.

« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »

Offline GreenNote

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11
Why are they going for an offensive minded coach?  It's their defense and TOs that are killing the Lakers.

When you can score efficiently, you can get away with a weaker defense.

Not to mention, the talent they have suggests they should be a much better offensive team.  They need to maximize that.

Until round 2

I disagree with this.  The Suns never had defenders like Howard or Kobe, or even Gasol for that matter. 

This Lakers team have the players to be good enough defensively, while being dominant offensively.  That is enough to go very deep.

Shawn Marion was a good defender, Raja bell too

« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2012, 04:37:37 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/20904962/no-shortage-of-obvious-candidates-to-replace-mike-brown-as-lakers-coach

I don't think that insinuated Phil Jackson wanted to come back to the Lakers. I think I remember hearing he wanted to be back coaching in the NBA some months earlier.
From CBSSports

Phil Jackson: While it isn't clear if the Lakers have contacted their former coach yet, it is widely known Jackson, 67, is healthy, ready to go and interested.

He's interested in coaching again where you know, the seat is open. Does not mean he wants to coach the Lakers again.

There has been NO reports of Phil actually saying, "Yup, I want to run the team again." If there was, do you honestly think the Lakers would even consider searching at the moment?

EDIT: Also, reports say they've contacted a few coaches, and Jackson wasn't one of them. Sounds like real mutual interest, no?

« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2012, 04:39:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I thought Jackson was though  ???  hasn't he quit a least a dozen times... and everytime a team od superstars gets in trouble his name is brought out.

It has to be Jackson ...there is NO OTHER OPTION .....

with no training camp available , he is only one than can come in and reintall his game and make Kobe quit sulking like a two year old.

NBA is so predictable... it sucks

« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2012, 04:43:49 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

I think Kobe has been behind the scenes calling Jackson , I don't think Brown gets fired UNLESS there isa 99% chance Jackson will be coach again.

It was a setup , soon as Jackson caved , Kobe had the Busses put the torch to Brown.

You watch that hated Jackson will be back...nobody else can turn it around that quick...KOBE is getting old and they need to WIN NOW .. ::)  bad language ..bad language ...flying though my head. 

From CBSSports

He's interested in coaching again where you know, the seat is open. Does not mean he wants to coach the Lakers again.

There has been NO reports of Phil actually saying, "Yup, I want to run the team again." If there was, do you honestly think the Lakers would even consider searching at the moment?

« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2012, 04:46:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Bill Simmons:  "2 Lakers moves that would scare me: (1) Hire Mike D'Antoni, (2) trade Pau to Atlanta for Josh Smith, Kyle Korver + Petro's expiring. "
Eh bill Simmons sounds like a dope on this one...gasol is a better fit...Dwight and josh Smith is repetitive and dantoni would make them the most entertaining regular season team ever but playoff failures...Mike brown has had more playoff success
Smith and Dwight would be some nasty defense... also a scary prospect running the floor with Nash.

« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2012, 05:20:57 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I knew this was going down since the hire.   Mike Brown is an assistant who went to high up the coaching chain.

« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2012, 05:26:23 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Haven't read the thread yet.  Just posting right off the bat, but if Phil isn't coming back, I think another old guy would be great for them, though I think he's too old to consider it, but I think Hubie Brown would be great for the Lakers, too.  But wouldn't be surprised to see Phil come back now that they've got another stacked roster. 

« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2012, 05:28:04 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
It's about time, really.  It's shocking to me they didn't go deeper in the playoffs LAST YEAR.   Kobe Bryant along with two of the top 5 big men in the world is a recipe for dominance.  I really thought they could have made the finals. 

This year... their roster is even sicker.  Nash, Kobe, Pau, Dwight... that team should be winning 70+.  Mike Brown is a total hack.
Completely agree.