Author Topic: Yes or No? It's Doc's Fault  (Read 10855 times)

Re: Yes or No? It's Doc's Fault
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 02:18:40 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Or, put another way: at NO point this year have the Celtics fielded a lineup that was on the court for even one minute last year.

Dallas is 4-1 with huge roster turnover and no Dirk.

It's silly to panic after 4 games, but I think there are a few things we can already say about this team.

1.  It ain't winning anything playing Sully and Bass major minutes at the 5.

2.  Paul Pierce cannot be relied upon to carry the team like he did in the past.

3.  Boston must play at a faster pace than in the past, particularly when you've got Rondo on the court with our younger, faster bench.

Mike
Dallas is starting from scratch.  Marion was the only starter that was even on the team last year.  They have talented veterans who are playing their game.  The Celtics have a ton of new pieces to fit onto a very complex system on both ends of the floor.  We are not going to change our system based around Rondo, Paul and KG.  Dallas will actually struggle more when Dirk comes back because the others will have to adjust to playing with Dirk.  Right now they have no stars that demand adjustment from other people.

As Bill Simmons would say, Dallas is experiencing the Ewing theory with Dirk out.

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 02:41:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
If the team still looks out of sorts , no clear direction 25 games into the season , then you gotta ask questions about the coaching staff.

Right now I still think Doc is experimenting , which is hard on fans watching the team throw away possible victories screwing with lineups ( SULLY /BASS) sorry .folks just an't gonna cut it.

Maybe Doc is just being stuborn trying to PROVE all of us armchair coachs wrong.... ;D

The starting line up needs to STAY BIG ... the second string is where the smaller lineups with WIlcox should be run . IMO  ;)

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 02:45:16 PM »

Online csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
As any coach (and human being for that matter), Doc has his strength and weaknesses.

Strengths:

1.Player's Coach who is well respected, adept at handling differing personalities and who players want to play for>>>>good motivator and attracts players to wanna play here for him.

2. Decent at Xs and Os and especially out of time-outs.

3. Seems to work well with management (Danny/Wyc).

I'm sure that there are others that you could add to this list.

Weaknesses:

1. Not particularly good at handling the much larger number of permutations/combinations that being 10-12 deep as opposed to being 7 or 8 deep necessitates.

2. Doesn't seem particularly adept at adjusting to adjustments that other teams make during in-game situations.

3. Seeming inflexibility when it comes to "Small-Ball"

I'm sure that there are others that I missed.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 05:50:40 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Not entirely but I think doc is overrated as a coach even if I love the guy id still rather have thibs

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 02:52:04 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
This team has made no secret of the fact that their goal is to be hitting the playoffs at full stride.  That is their mindset from the top to the bottom.  So, while Doc does hold some blame to the less than stellar start, I am not sure it is that much off their plan.

Eh..while that's the plan when have docs teams ever made the playoffs look easy...they have consistently gone 7 against teams that should be swept..game 6and7 last year against the heat were abysmally coached

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 03:27:23 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Or, put another way: at NO point this year have the Celtics fielded a lineup that was on the court for even one minute last year.

It's silly to panic after 4 games, but I think there are a few things we can already say about this team.

2.  Paul Pierce cannot be relied upon to carry the team like he did in the past.

3.  Boston must play at a faster pace than in the past, particularly when you've got Rondo on the court with our younger, faster bench.

Mike
Dallas is starting from scratch.  Marion was the only starter that was even on the team last year.  They have talented veterans who are playing their game.  The Celtics have a ton of new pieces to fit onto a very complex system on both ends of the floor.  We are not going to change our system based around Rondo, Paul and KG.  Dallas will actually struggle more when Dirk comes back because the others will have to adjust to playing with Dirk.  Right now they have no stars that demand adjustment from other people.

4 of our starting 5 are the same as last year, and that hasn't made much difference.  We're also seeing the exact same problems at the beginning of this year that we saw at the end of last year (everything going to crap when KG isn't on the floor).

Fundamentally, though, the idea that other players have to adjust to either KG or Paul may be the big problem.  Neither of those guys are great enough any more than every one else should have to adjust to them.

Mike

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 03:30:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This team has made no secret of the fact that their goal is to be hitting the playoffs at full stride.  That is their mindset from the top to the bottom.  So, while Doc does hold some blame to the less than stellar start, I am not sure it is that much off their plan.

Eh..while that's the plan when have docs teams ever made the playoffs look easy...they have consistently gone 7 against teams that should be swept..game 6and7 last year against the heat were abysmally coached
Game 6 last year I blame on the players who didn't bother to show up. Game 7 I blame on no one as the better, more healthy team won. Team played great for 3 1/2 quarters and then the Heat pulled away. No fault in what they did that game anywhere.

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 03:33:23 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If we need a new coach I hear Mike Brown's available  :P

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 03:42:56 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
we have 4 games played
or did i miss something ?

Yeah, only 78 games left. We're doomed.

;)

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 03:44:20 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Game 6 last year I blame on the players who didn't bother to show up. Game 7 I blame on no one as the better, more healthy team won. Team played great for 3 1/2 quarters and then the Heat pulled away. No fault in what they did that game anywhere.

Just like '10. Gassed.

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2012, 03:56:09 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255

Mike

4 of our starting 5 are the same as last year, and that hasn't made much difference.  We're also seeing the exact same problems at the beginning of this year that we saw at the end of last year (everything going to crap when KG isn't on the floor).

Fundamentally, though, the idea that other players have to adjust to either KG or Paul may be the big problem.  Neither of those guys are great enough any more than every one else should have to adjust to them.

Mike
   You do realize our entire bench didn't play with us last year?  Of course we'll struggle when KG is not on the floor.  You think Terry can come from Dallas, Sullinger from Ohio State, Jeff Green from Heart surgery, Courtney Lee from Houston, Barbosa from Toronto/Indiana and they can play defense like Rondo, Paul, Bass and KG?  Give them some time. 
   Paul and KG may not be in their prime, but they are great at what they do.  They are incredible defenders, shooters and passers with high IQ and excellent physical shape.  It's difficult to play with that level of IQ and experience on the floor.  Bass and Bradley struggled last year.  Jeff Green struggled the year before.  However, in time Bradley and Bass became very good.  Same will be true for Terry, Lee, Green and Sullinger. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2012, 04:02:30 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

Hey I agree its on the players too but doc gets credit for motivating and clearly didn't well enough or have his players prepared to play like they were at home with 1 game from the finals. Game 7s defensively gameplan on lebron was plain stupid...and why'd we go 7 against the sixers so we weren't as gassed...partly because doc was outcoached by collins

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 04:37:59 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
no, not docs fault

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2012, 05:53:52 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I say yes, he has plenty of time to get them working cohesively. They look lost. I keep hearing it's a work in progress.

we started last season 5 wins to 9 losses on a shortened schedule and we were 1 quarter away from ruining the Chosen One's NBA Finals destiny.  chill out.

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 06:02:34 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
I see Doc as a flawed coach (who isn't?) whose strenths far outweigh his deficiencies.  It doesn't help to lay any blame 4 games into the season, but my opinion on the cause of the current play is that it's a new team learning to play together.