Author Topic: Are we reaching the end of the era?  (Read 5252 times)

Re: Are we reaching the end of the era?
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 09:35:48 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Of course this team is.  KG and Pierce are at the ends of their careers.

Doesn't mean they can't go out with a bang.  I have little doubt this team will pick up the pace come playoff time.  They will be a threat to any top team.

I just don't see enough improvement with what was added and subtracted to get past Miami if they are healthy.  The Celtics team will match up just fine if Bosh or Wade is out (and would have an advantage if Lebron is out) just like last year.  But when all three are there playing like they did last year in the playoffs, the Celtics become a real long shot against them (possible, but a major upset)

So unless a role player really steps up his game to a level they have never played (special need down low) or the Celtics turn some of that depth into a major single player upgrade, this teams likely ceiling might just be lower then we want (or expect at the moment)

And yes, AB's return is a huge help, but not enough to shift the odds enough to the Celtics advantage.

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 09:38:16 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
And this has nothing to do with last nights game.  I just haven't seen anything to this point from the players (not looking at Rondo, Pierce and KG because we expect them to play a lot better come playoffs) that shows the team will be better then last year. 

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 09:39:36 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Hey, I love KG too, but when he's on the bench and the other team's starter is still out there, it's our bench against their best.  That's a disadvantage any way you slice it.

I love KG when he's out there, but if he can't play a starter's schedule/minutes, that's a problem.

Maybe the problem is just with Doc.

29 minutes a game isn't terribly low for a center in the nba. He's only playing 3-4 minutes a game fewer than he was in 07-08.

It's not so much the number of minutes or quality of play that I'm concerned about.

Again, it's that playing him in short spurts means we match our backup against their starter.

I feel I'm repeating myself.  Does nobody else see this as a problem- having to play career journeymen backup bigs against opposing starters every game while KG rests?

In any case, we really, really look a lot like the '91 team.

I wonder why Danny didn't pull the trigger on those trades last year for the old three like Young Danny said he would've.  Wisdom, I suppose.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:49:10 AM by More Banners »

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 09:42:44 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
?? that happened last season...we've been slowly transitioning to the rondo era..youre just realizing this?

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 09:49:13 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Right now this team is AWFUL! Watching them pass the ball is painful, sometimes I feel like I'm watching a special ed team. Their defense is bad, but their offense is so bad I can't watch it. I do think they will get better but right now they are playing horrible.

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 10:01:14 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Doesn't mean they can't go out with a bang.  I have little doubt this team will pick up the pace come playoff time.  They will be a threat to any top team.

I just don't see enough improvement with what was added and subtracted to get past Miami if they are healthy.  The Celtics team will match up just fine if Bosh or Wade is out (and would have an advantage if Lebron is out) just like last year.  But when all three are there playing like they did last year in the playoffs, the Celtics become a real long shot against them (possible, but a major upset)

So unless a role player really steps up his game to a level they have never played (special need down low) or the Celtics turn some of that depth into a major single player upgrade, this teams likely ceiling might just be lower then we want (or expect at the moment)

And yes, AB's return is a huge help, but not enough to shift the odds enough to the Celtics advantage.

We should be significantly better at shooting guard and every single bench position. I think your prognosis is a little on the gloomy side.

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2012, 10:08:38 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Seriously, what is wrong with some fans?

These are the same people that were calling for Danny to blow it up last season at the All-Star break ... they then conspicuously disappear when the team is doing well, then as soon as a bad loss comes up they reappear and gloat and act smug.

It really irritates me. You are entitled to your opinion and all, but it almost feels like some fans only exist to troll these boards when something bad happens, then they disappear when the good things happen.

There have been, what, 2 seasons now that this team started off slow then came back strong?

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2012, 10:20:12 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

We should be significantly better at shooting guard and every single bench position. I think your prognosis is a little on the gloomy side.

It is not gloomy. 

We hope the SG is much better, but it hasn't been yet. 

We hope the bench is better, but it hasn't been yet.

But this also ignores the fact that the Heat have improved both at SG and off the bench.  At best, the Celtics have kept pace. 

I am hoping the Celtics are keeping the realistic view of the league.  Yes, the Celtics have an outside shot at beating a healthy Heat.  Yes, the Celtics have some depth. 

But outside of Rondo, this team has not build around blocks.  They have young players with nice upsides (Sullinger, AB and Melo) and would be good to top role players on good teams.  They have some good role players that are young, but look like they have maxed out on their talent.  (Green, Lee and Bass)

I have no issue the Celtics making a move to improve Rondo's, KG's and Pierce's chances to lead this team to one more title. 

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2012, 10:22:23 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
Looks like Allen knew when to run. Averaging 12 and 51% with Miami. His minutes are down where they should be. Taking less money but likely to be a big winner this season. We have a respectable Team. Bradley could very well change our fortunes with his energy. We have been reaching end of era's since the Bird days.  Except for this mini run we've had no stability. Danny's Snake Oil is past expiration.

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2012, 10:46:35 AM »

Offline Reyquila

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • Let them hate, as long as they fear
Our weakest fscet is not the scoring; its the defense. We are getting killed down low. The enemy is being allowed 2,3, 4 chancesof getting their offensive rebounds, and that will take its toll in every game. The other day they got about 17 offensive rebounds in a game we lost. How can the other team get a lot of rebounds consistently and ours can fit in a hand. Looks like Sully, who can hardly lift his feet off the ground is the only one that sometimes tries to get an o. rebound?
Our other gross weakness. Again on defense, the middle of our territory looks like the Steepes. Wide isolated grounds where the enemy can pass through unopposed. No clogging of the middleground- we seem to have cement feet.
PP has slowed down noticeably. He still has the big heart, and he still can get his own shot and he is still our best player; yet he is a shadow of what he was once and he cannot play like he once did. He cannot guard or wont go out to guard a 3 point shooter; he cannot keep up with a fast enemy and he loses too many balls trying to drive thru traffic. Still, he is our heart.
Unless we trade for srong PFs or 5s that can clog the middle and can rebound with the best, we can only expect to make the playoffs and make an early exit. 2 flags in 27 years is more than what 70%+ of the teams have accomplished. Yes, our one season era has passed. So be it.
And someday in the midst of time,
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2012, 11:07:29 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
One thing that I have learned in the past 3 seasons...

I will never...ever...ever count this team out. Ever.

Got it?

Good.

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2012, 11:15:54 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

It is not gloomy. 

We hope the SG is much better, but it hasn't been yet. 

We hope the bench is better, but it hasn't been yet.

But this also ignores the fact that the Heat have improved both at SG and off the bench.  At best, the Celtics have kept pace. 

Seriously? Aside from Ray (who started half the games after Bradley went out) we didn't have a single bench player average as much as 4 points a game. You don't see Terry/Lee/Green/Sully/Wilcox as significantly better than Dooling/Pietrus/Steamer/Hollins (when Pietrus and Steamer are playing poorly due to injuries)?

And Bradley hasn't played yet, but are you expecting him to be significantly worse than he was last year?

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2012, 08:13:57 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Seriously, what is wrong with some fans?

These are the same people that were calling for Danny to blow it up last season at the All-Star break ... they then conspicuously disappear when the team is doing well, then as soon as a bad loss comes up they reappear and gloat and act smug.

It really irritates me. You are entitled to your opinion and all, but it almost feels like some fans only exist to troll these boards when something bad happens, then they disappear when the good things happen.

In case you´re talking about me:
There were no good things. People were fooling themselves, and I had no interest in arguing with them anymore after half a year of reading nonsense about how good this team allegedly is. As far as I´m concerned, this team achieved exactly what I (and my magical sources) predicted. I`ve lost my faith in this team quite some time ago, and never regained it.

I´m waiting for the blow-up, and then I´m right back to cheer for the youngsters.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2012, 08:41:25 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Of course the "era" is ending. But the era of Pierce and Kg. Its obvious they are old. That doesnt mean a new "era" cant start. You seem to emphasis a point where no one on the team can dominate their opponent but you forget that this is a TEAM and in the end when chemistry rolls at its highest this TEAM should be dominate against opponents when it matters.