Author Topic: Cheap Big Man Options for the C's ?  (Read 5005 times)

Re: Cheap Big Man Options for the C's ?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 05:52:26 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Once Bradley comes back healthy, a mid-season trade of Bass, Lee, Sullinger, and a first-round pick to New Orleans for Jason Smith and Ryan Anderson.

There is no way I do that. Anderson is overrated and Smith is a Darko without any hype. Giving up all of our trading chips for mediocre bigs makes no sense. If we're trading for a center let's target Gortat or Cousins.

Anderson is a better player than Al Jefferson or Amare Stoudemire.  Jason Smith knows what to do if D-Wade tries to pull a punk move on Rondo.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 09:04:35 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Get us Jason Smith.

Once Bradley comes back healthy, a mid-season trade of Bass, Lee, Sullinger, and a first-round pick to New Orleans for Jason Smith and Ryan Anderson.

That's a horribllllle trade!
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 09:32:44 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I love Zaza, but I am not sure why Atlanta would trade him.

Ultimately though, I think the answer for the C's is already on the roster.  They just need Wilcox and Darko to get healthy and up to speed.  Bringing in someone new just means they have to start learning the system from scratch.

At this point, unless they have serious injuries, they should only be looking to trade for big men, if they can get a real upgrade (like a Smith or Varajao type), not just another end of the rotation player.  Otherwise, work on getting the guys you have up to speed.

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 10:49:40 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Get us Jason Smith.

Well, I wanted Jason Smith, but not for that much. I mean cmon now...

I think he could be traded for Darko/Wilcox/Bass and a 2nd.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 10:58:02 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

There is no way I do that. Anderson is overrated and Smith is a Darko without any hype. Giving up all of our trading chips for mediocre bigs makes no sense. If we're trading for a center let's target Gortat or Cousins.

Anderson is a better player than Al Jefferson or Amare Stoudemire.  Jason Smith knows what to do if D-Wade tries to pull a punk move on Rondo.

Terrible trade indeed. There is no way I take Anderson over Jefferson, and I really dont like Jefferson. I would even gamble on Amare's health and contract over Anderson. Anderson had such an overrated year in Orlando last year.

Get us Jason Smith.

There is absolutely no way that I trade those three plus a pick for Jason Smith. That is ludacris. Bass alone is mile better than Smith. So is WIlcox. Id even take Darko over Smith no way would I trade all three of them. My center targedt if we go for anyone is by far Gortat. Bass/Bradley/first rounder and a filler for Gortat would be the best thing we could do tradewise.

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 11:47:08 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
At this point, unless they have serious injuries, they should only be looking to trade for big men, if they can get a real upgrade (like a Smith or Varajao type), not just another end of the rotation player.  Otherwise, work on getting the guys you have up to speed.

I'd agree with this.

We already have enough low-cost bigs.  Doc just needs to play them, particularly WIlcox (maybe Darko too).

If we're making a trade, it needs to be for a game changer.

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 11:49:50 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

There is absolutely no way that I trade those three plus a pick for Jason Smith. That is ludacris. Bass alone is mile better than Smith. So is WIlcox. Id even take Darko over Smith no way would I trade all three of them. My center targedt if we go for anyone is by far Gortat. Bass/Bradley/first rounder and a filler for Gortat would be the best thing we could do tradewise.

You got me all wrong sir. The slashes (/) means either one of the three, not all three of them. I guess it was me. LOL

I, most certainly would not do it as well, all three of them for Smith. I mean, I love Smith's game, he hustles, rebounds good, decent to solid rim protector, midrange game. Not to mention he's a legitimate 7'0" and is rough and tough and would not get "punked". But I am NOT doing it for those three, those three together should land a near all star.

I believe one of the three i mentioned though, + a 2nd rounder should probably do the deal.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 12:05:19 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

That... was a joke wasn't it? Cause even though Jefferson and Amare are defensive scrubs, they are Dennis Rodman and KG compared to Anderson. That and they have more at their arsenal than a jumpshot. Oh and they had better numbers than Anderson last year. Much better all-around too.

If Ryan Anderson is better than Big Al and Amare, then so is Glen Davis, and we all know that isn't true.

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 12:16:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
we got three bigs sitting on the bench now. 

I  HATE small ball... Miami is fluke team with LBJ , playing every postion from guard to center ...  unless another LBJ is out there it is waste of time.

Dear Doc wake up ... put Wilcox and Darko and play ball.

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 12:24:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
we got three bigs sitting on the bench now. 

I  HATE small ball... Miami is fluke team with LBJ , playing every postion from guard to center ...  unless another LBJ is out there it is waste of time.

Dear Doc wake up ... put Wilcox and Darko and play ball.
Not sure how playing players who aren't good or who don't get "it" or aren't in good enough shape yet is going to make this team better.

Wilcox, in limited minutes has looked good offensively and horrible defensively. Darko is just a god awful player. Collins is worse.

Why play these guys if the net effect on the team will be negative? I just don't get that.

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2012, 12:47:16 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

That... was a joke wasn't it? Cause even though Jefferson and Amare are defensive scrubs, they are Dennis Rodman and KG compared to Anderson. That and they have more at their arsenal than a jumpshot. Oh and they had better numbers than Anderson last year. Much better all-around too.

It's absolutely not a joke.  Anderson is not a great individual defender, but I think that he is a better fit than Jefferson or Stoudemire on a team that requires intelligent rotations for its defense to work.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2012, 12:52:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I'd agree with this.

We already have enough low-cost bigs.  Doc just needs to play them, particularly WIlcox (maybe Darko too).

Ideally, it'd be a game changing big man (like Varejao or a Josh Smith) but I would be happy with a lesser option.

To acquire a solid starting PF (Ty Thomas) to go alongside Garnett or a high level backup C (?) to spell Garnett. I think adding a more solid option in either area (starting PF, backup C) would give the team a nice boost. Get Garnett some more help defensively.

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 01:02:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I'd agree with this.

Ideally, it'd be a game changing big man (like Varejao or a Josh Smith) but I would be happy with a lesser option.

To acquire a solid starting PF (Ty Thomas) to go alongside Garnett or a high level backup C (?) to spell Garnett. I think adding a more solid option in either area (starting PF, backup C) would give the team a nice boost. Get Garnett some more help defensively.

Here's the problem.  Ty Thomas is not a solid starting PF.  He has always been a bench guy and spot starter at best, and that is when he can stay healthy. 

As an energy guy off the bench, I can see an argument, but there is zero evidence that he can be even an average starter.

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2012, 01:08:59 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Two thoughts:

1) I maintain as I have for months I'd rather have Kenyon Martin on this team than have the combo of Darko and J Collins, who basically cancel each other out to me. Cut one of them out and sign the guy;

2) Larry Sanders should be a trade target. The Bucks have more PFs than the Hall of Fame, and need to rebuild completely. If The Colonel could learn to reduce his foul rate, he could be lethal as a weak side rim defender in the Celtics system, then run the floor on the break with RR. There's no better mentor for a player like him than KG. Trade Melo for him.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 01:10:10 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I'd agree with this.

Here's the problem.  Ty Thomas is not a solid starting PF.  He has always been a bench guy and spot starter at best, and that is when he can stay healthy. 

As an energy guy off the bench, I can see an argument, but there is zero evidence that he can be even an average starter.
I disagree, I consider Ty Thomas a solid starting PF. Below average but solid. Probably in that 18th to 22nd type range amongst starting PFs.

Excellent athleticism. Strong defensive player. Very active on team defense. Creates turnovers. Solid rebounding. A solid midrange and long two point jump-shot to provide adequate floor spacing. Excellent finisher in transition and around the basket. Draws fouls and get to the foul line.

Tyrus Thomas has some problems but his strengths more than make up for his weaknesses. He is a very solid option as a starting PF. Tyrus Thomas has the athleticism, defense / rebounding and skill-level required to be a starting caliber PF.