Author Topic: Cheap Big Man Options for the C's ?  (Read 4999 times)

Cheap Big Man Options for the C's ?
« on: November 08, 2012, 08:14:15 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Brendan Haywood would be  great fit IMO. Perfect backup center for KG. He is  making about 2 mil and is on  1 year deal with the Bobcats so I am assuming he could be had for maybe Melo and Collins ?

Robin Lopez is making about 5 mil . Maybe barbosa, collins and melo gets it done?

Zaza Pachulia. Very strong tough nosed big man, more athletic and mobile than Darko so he can guard the pick and roll .

thoughts? additions ?

Re: Cheap Big Man Options for the C's ?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 08:27:17 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Brendan Haywood would be  great fit IMO. Perfect backup center for KG. He is  making about 2 mil and is on  1 year deal with the Bobcats so I am assuming he could be had for maybe Melo and Collins ?

Robin Lopez is making about 5 mil . Maybe barbosa, collins and melo gets it done?

Zaza Pachulia. Very strong tough nosed big man, more athletic and mobile than Darko so he can guard the pick and roll .

thoughts? additions ?

I think Haywood can't be traded due to being amnestied and signed via bidding.

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 08:28:18 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
  • Brendan Haywood can't be traded until next summer due to amnesty waiver.
  • Zaza Pachulia is a lousy defender. I don't think he is worth pursuing.
  • Robin Lopez is interesting option. Legitimate size and physical presence in the paint. Decent rebounder. On the downside, he has been extremely inconsistent and unreliable in the past.

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 08:59:46 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The cheapest big man option for the C's are probably darko milicic and Jason Collins... Oh wait

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 09:08:04 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Why do we need another big man for Doc to bury on the bench?

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 09:14:56 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Why do we need another big man for Doc to bury on the bench?

Thank you, you beat me to it.

Why on earth would we try to pursue more big men when Doc clearly has no interest whatsoever in playing them?

Unless we could upgrade one of our existing centers (i.e. get Haywood for Collins) we may as well keep what we have.

Adding more big bodies to our inactive list won't help us win games.

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 09:22:42 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The cheapest big man option for the C's are probably darko milicic and Jason Collins... Oh wait

What about Chris Wilcox . . . oh wait.  There's a promising, young Brazilian rookie . . . never mind. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 09:23:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Haven't we already signed three cheap big man options that are so bad they can't break the rotation? What good is another?

Lopez is the best of what you mentioned but NO likes him and he isn't going anywhere.

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 09:30:49 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'm not sure that for "cheap" we could really improve.

If by cheap you expand it to be one of Green/Bass plus Bradley Plus a Pick, you could expand to these potentially available bigs:

Nene
Al Jefferson
Verejao
Milsap
Marc Gasol/Randolph (depending on circumstances, and would need some additional salaries to make it work)

In terms of cheaper, for varying reasons and for varying packages:
Hickson
Jason Thompson
Mareese Speights
Chuck Hayes

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 11:23:11 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'm driving this bandwagon and I will keep on going everytime we talk about a big man we should get/acquire.

Get us Jason Smith.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 12:26:01 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

What about Chris Wilcox . . . oh wait.  There's a promising, young Brazilian rookie . . . never mind.

TP for the back up.

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 12:45:56 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Get us Jason Smith.

Once Bradley comes back healthy, a mid-season trade of Bass, Lee, Sullinger, and a first-round pick to New Orleans for Jason Smith and Ryan Anderson.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 12:55:02 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
the modern day player at the 5 is a slim power forward. the  bosh's, noah's, aldridge's, varejaos, deandre jordan's, javale mcgee's, Stiemsma's... do i need to keep going?

so why do you continue insisting on getting a slow, overpaid bruiser who will be benched in the 4th quarters like perk currently is?

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 01:49:06 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'm not sure that for "cheap" we could really improve.

If by cheap you expand it to be one of Green/Bass plus Bradley Plus a Pick, you could expand to these potentially available bigs:

Nene
Al Jefferson
Verejao
Milsap
Marc Gasol/Randolph (depending on circumstances, and would need some additional salaries to make it work)

In terms of cheaper, for varying reasons and for varying packages:
Hickson
Jason Thompson
Mareese Speights
Chuck Hayes

Nene would be harder to get than Emeka and we  would rather have Emeka because he has only 2 years left at 14M instead of 13M over 3 years like Nene does.

Al Jefferson just makes too much money to be attainable for this team. 15M means we have to trade Green and either Bass or Lee and someone else. He's also not particularly great at playing defense and he's a FA at the end of the season so we could end up with nothing if we don't wanna pay him a lot. I also think Millsap is a better investment personally.

Varejao is an interesting case. Cleveland can probably get more for him than the Bass-centered package we'd be offering but if they would take some combination of Bass/Melo/pick then I'd do it. I think they might too.

Marc Gasol isn't going anywhere. The Grizzlies would be absolutely nuts to trade him for anything short of a franchise level player. Randolph might be on the table but I don't want him. I've always felt that he was very overrated. Oh and 16M over 3 years doesn't thrill me either.

The four guys you listed after aren't upgrades over Bass. Maybe Jason Thompson would be but it's probably pretty close to even. If we could trade straight up and save some money I guess I'd do it but when you move a player who has been on your team for more than a year you lose some chemistry. That might be worth paying for.

Someone that this blog has put be on to is Amare Stoudemire. I posted in a thread here about it and I think it would be a very bold move. Green+Lee+Bass for Amare/Brewer would be very tempting to me. It's a total "win now" move and I'm not sure that is what Danny wants but it would make us a very scary team.

Once Bradley comes back healthy, a mid-season trade of Bass, Lee, Sullinger, and a first-round pick to New Orleans for Jason Smith and Ryan Anderson.

There is no way I do that. Anderson is overrated and Smith is a Darko without any hype. Giving up all of our trading chips for mediocre bigs makes no sense. If we're trading for a center let's target Gortat or Cousins.

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 02:12:05 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

No thanks...