Author Topic: Start Brandon Bass or Jared Sullinger?  (Read 4572 times)

Re: Start Brandon Bass or Jared Sullinger?
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2012, 04:37:25 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I'd like Danny to trade Brandon Bass for Tyrus Thomas and start Ty Thomas at power forward.

What's your take on Tyrus' struggles with the Bobcats since the lockout?  He's having another rough start to this year.  Seems to have lost some bounce and aggression (his FG% and rebounding have plummeted).
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'd like Danny to trade Brandon Bass for Tyrus Thomas and start Ty Thomas at power forward.

What's your take on Tyrus' struggles with the Bobcats since the lockout?  He's having another rough start to this year.  Seems to have lost some bounce and aggression (his FG% and rebounding have plummeted).

I haven't seen him play this season so I can't really comment.

Last year, he was badly out of shape and had problems with his head coach (in large part due to his poor conditioning). He was also forced to play out of position at SF for a fair portion of his minutes in some pretty dysfunctional lineups (the other part of his problems with his coach - coach believed he was too out of shape to play his normal PF minutes). Fixable issues.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 05:04:51 PM by Who »

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2012, 05:09:35 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I think Sully MUST start and not b/c he is better than Bass (he isn't) but because he is horrible on defense that he NEEDS KG more than Bass does!

I actually don't think who starts is the big problem, BASS AND SULLY TOGETHER IS TERRIBLE!!! AGAIN, BASS AND SULLY TOGETHER= TERRIBLE!!!!!

If you start Bass or Sully, you CANNOT bring the other off the bench as the first big!! I think this is one of the biggest mistakes Doc makes (the other, not playing Darko, Wilcox (b4 last night), or Collins... playing small ball ALL THE TIME)!!!

Doc will go small no matter how negatively it affects the team! Trying to be Mia is the WORST idea EVER!!!!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2012, 05:12:19 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Wilcox is vital off the bench.  I'd prefer to start Sullinger or Bass for spacing reasons with Rondo.  Other than that, my only preference is to always have one of KG, Sully, or Wilcox on the floor at all times for rebounding purposes (never Bass and Darko together).

Bass is my first choice, simply because Sullinger has looked dreadful defensively at C when KG is first to the bench.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2012, 06:07:16 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Sully fits better with the starter but Im not so sure if hes deserving of the minutes hes getting. Bass and Green are just better overall players and I think they should be getting more minutes.

Sully, however, fits well with the starters because he is only player that rebounds and gives us a low post presence. He is the only player that crashes the boards can play in the paint. He is the perfect fit for the starting unit because he can be in the right place at the right time and not demand any offensive touches. He is what Perk should have been for us, easy buckets under the hoop when hes not guarded, with better hands and a better offensive game.

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2012, 07:39:22 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
start Sully, but I think when KG is coming out, you should either bring wilcox in, or replace sully/KG with Bass/Wilcox.

I just dont like that bass/Sully lineup defensively

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2012, 08:33:46 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I think this year we are going to see doc play with a lot of things (record be [dang]ed) until he comes up with best starting lineup and first lot of subs (10 men)
this team is that deep - wilcox is going to bring it but is he 3rd string pf or 2nd string center, lots of depth/kinks to work out

Lee has not been adding much to the starting unit but does this mean start jet who is used to coming off the bench (and will come into his stride), do a sg pierce, sf green which would help green but might hurt us on d with pp being slower than some of the younger elite sg, barbosa  ? nah I'd rather him off the bench

Bass has shown more this year, love his new effort on the boards.   Sully is a find, a think a year or 2 away but it might make sense to start him then as others have stated his defensive lapses will be minimized.  A second unit with terry and bass doing pick and rolls and pick and pops is nice.

I do think we are too reliant on rondo and kg.  When either guy goes out its noticeable and rondo cannot play pg in today's nba for 40 minutes and be at the top of his game.  We need wilcox or Darko (or a trade) to garner(ett) up the front court and terry  to step up (lee !) or bradley to come back.

Again I think it is a work in progress, we only have a few games into season so no big deal.

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2012, 09:53:50 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
To me, it's Sully.

He seems to play better when he has KG on the court with him, and his aggressvieness on the boards (and ability to score down low) really does seem to fit better with out starting group. 

In the two games since Sully got moved to the starting five we have come out aggressive to start, and built up a big initial leads - only to give up ground again when the starters rested.  We also won both games. 

Aside from this, I think Bass has been rebounding better (and attacking the rim more aggressively) when he's playing on the second unit.  The combination of Bass + Wilcox also gives us nice mobility in the front court, and combined with the rest of the roster (Green, Barbosa, Terry) it gives us an athletic second unit that can run other teams to the ground on offense. 

Defensively I feel that Bass has been pretty unspectacular, and hasn't really been much better then Sully so far.  I do like his energy that he's bringing though.

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2012, 10:53:10 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
In other words , Sully is KG's boy inside, when KG comes out , then Sully should follow him to the bench, or be his shadow.   Leaving Sully to play center is a NO NO.

Wilcox, Green and Bass should rotate in for  JG, PP, and Sully. Hopefully AB and Jet will drive this unit one day in a running offense. 

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2012, 11:08:09 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
I'd like to see Wilcox sub in for Garnett instead of Bass.

Sully and Wilcox together is a very interesting look. See what they can get going together before subbing in Bass for Sully, and then KG for Wilcox.

Or just start Bass and have Sully and Wilcox come in after 5 minutes.

So many options with just those 4 guys.

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2012, 12:58:37 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
The Bass/Sully combo seems to get the universal thumbs down.

Bass/KG seems to be okay, or has worked okay in the past.

KG/Sully looks good (outside/inside).

KG/Wilcox has looked good.

Bass/Wilcox is promising.

Sully/Wilcox might be okay.

Anything except Bass/Sully on the floor and we're okay, and what does Doc use?  Cripes.  Sully should be gifted 10 1st-half minutes perhaps, but only with KG or Wilcox.

In other words, KG, Wilcox, Bass is a nice 3-big rotation when it's working out, and Sully is 4th big.  When Bass is in the right role, he's 3rd big.  So the hole right now is starting PF, and I vote for Wilcox for now, given the shorter spurts plan for KG.

When Darko is ready to take minutes from somebody, then he will.  There's a good chance that could be Wilcox and/or Sully. 

Unless there's a trade involving Bass and one of the guards, which would make sense.  Everyone sees Sully as the future, and Bass as a good player.  Unfortunately, I think promises were made to Lee and JET in their coming here that would preclude them being shipped out midseason, and possibly to Bass as well... 

But I think Bass, Bradley, and possibly Joseph/Melo are the package to move.  Nice rotation pieces, but with ceilings.  Throw in a 1st and shoot for a star.