Author Topic: Start Brandon Bass or Jared Sullinger?  (Read 4570 times)

Re: Start Brandon Bass or Jared Sullinger?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 01:19:25 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Sully for now...and not because hes better but let him grow and be more effective with the starters and bring bass in for more minutes and finishing games with kg

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 01:38:54 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Neither.

Start Darko, for the first few minutes at least. Gives us another hot blocking prescence early in the game. Set the defense in the first few minutes, prevent the other from scoring and give us a lead. Then Bass or Sully comes in to add more firepower on the offense.

I like Bass of the bench, playing most of the minutes at PF. He's high energy and an extra points coming in.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 01:41:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Sully should start , for energy and get the team off to a quicker start.  Bass is playing good and is a better player at the moment than Sully overall.  We need Bass to knock down the shots when the starters are on the bench.

Bringing Bass off the bench is perfect timing . The opponent is trying to catch their wind after the first 10 minutes .  Bring in fresh legs of Jet and Bass to pour on the steam and keep the intensity up.

I think Bass brings more off the bench than Sully . Sully being a rookie NEEDS to be with KG and Rondo and compliments their game.   Bass can come in do his job when KG is on the bench better than Sully ...IMO.

Agree ,  Sully and Bass together is horrible .  Bass and Green to better togeter.

I would like to see  GREEN 3- BASS 4- Wilcox 5 with Jet and LEE/Bradley as the guards for the second team.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:47:52 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 01:47:48 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm cool with starting Sully.  Once they gel, Barbosa (Bradley or Lee), Terry, Green, Bass, and Wilcox have the potential to be a very, very strong second unit. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 01:53:31 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I like Wilcox quite a bit, but unfortunately he needs to be behind KG, so he can't start.

I do like the idea of starting off by setting a defensive tone, so I'm not set on Sully starting until his defense improves.  A lot.

Bass is at his best off the bench, and it seems to work better that way.

Quite a conundrum...

I start Wilcox and KG together, then sub in Bass halfway through the first for KG, then sub KG back in with Sully to finish the quarter.  Darko gets spot minutes.

Sully needs to get stronger defensively to get many minutes.  I'd go along with giving him a few minutes per game, but that's it, and only because we seem to be committed to this guy long term and have a hole at starting PF long-term.

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 02:04:24 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
So, whether its Wilcox or Darko, someone is going to have to step up for the minutes when KG is on the bench.

KG is really the key here.  Instead of an emphasis on who is starting, I think the big rotation should first look to what combination of bigs you want in the game when Garnett is resting.  Once you figure that out, then you decide who you want on the floor with Garnett at the end of games.  Those should be the two most important factors in the allocation of minutes.  Once you figure that out, then you can see who is available to start.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 02:05:03 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I like Wilcox quite a bit, but unfortunately he needs to be behind KG, so he can't start.

I do like the idea of starting off by setting a defensive tone, so I'm not set on Sully starting until his defense improves.  A lot.

Bass is at his best off the bench, and it seems to work better that way.

Quite a conundrum...

I start Wilcox and KG together, then sub in Bass halfway through the first for KG, then sub KG back in with Sully to finish the quarter.  Darko gets spot minutes.

Sully needs to get stronger defensively to get many minutes.  I'd go along with giving him a few minutes per game, but that's it, and only because we seem to be committed to this guy long term and have a hole at starting PF long-term.

I agree with your first sentence.  I like Wilcox off the bench so that we can bring in a legitimate big when KG sits down.  I don't really care who starts between Sully and Bass.  I do think it makes sense to start Sully to mask his defensive deficiencies.  That doesn't mean that he has to play more minutes than Bass and Wilcox. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I'd be interested in seeing Wilcox start - love his hustle and finishing ability with Rondo - but that would mean even more Bass + Sully combos. 

Wilcox and Bass line substitutions for Sully and KG would probably be my preferred route at this point.  I'd like to see a full-speed Wilcox, Green and Barbosa get some time on the floor with Rondo with KG as a defensive rebounder too. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 02:59:50 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
What's up with Darko? I thought we'd seem play backup C...

KG / Wilcox

with Darko and Bass off the bench would be our best 'traditional' lineup/rotation.

-B

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 03:50:56 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
What's up with Darko? I thought we'd seem play backup C...

KG / Wilcox

with Darko and Bass off the bench would be our best 'traditional' lineup/rotation.

-B

I'd like to see KG/Wilcox start for a few games as well and see if it works. 

I don't think Bass/Sullinger on the floor at the same time as subs would be the worst thing if done in limited minutes.  Its not ideal but I think it could be effective in certain matchups.

I'm all for experimentation right now.  It's early in the season and the team needs to find lineups that work and those that don't.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 03:56:51 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'd like Danny to trade Brandon Bass for Tyrus Thomas and start Ty Thomas at power forward.

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 04:20:13 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
If we have Sullinger and Bass on the floor, Doc needs to balance the unit with Green at the 3 and Pierce at the 2.

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2012, 04:22:24 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I'd like Danny to trade Brandon Bass for Tyrus Thomas and start Ty Thomas at power forward.

I could live with that. Ty Thomas's defense is on a whole other level than any other PF we have right now.

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2012, 04:24:33 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I could live with that. Ty Thomas's defense is on a whole other level than any other PF we have right now.

The problem is, I don't think he would ever come close to learning the system well enough to see the floor.  He can barely get on the floor in Charlotte.

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2012, 04:25:04 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

except that Tyrus Thomas' heath is about as reliable as Jermaine Oneal's health