Author Topic: Start Brandon Bass or Jared Sullinger?  (Read 4575 times)

Start Brandon Bass or Jared Sullinger?
« on: November 08, 2012, 12:09:42 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I'm in favor of starting bass. I think he fits better with the starting unit and I can see sully getting overwhelmed by big games and his defense is a little scary.

Who do you think and why?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Start Brandon Bass or Jared Sullinger?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 12:14:55 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Don't care - Doc's problems is not starters.

It's over reliance on player 9-11 in rotation and too many minutes for RR, KG, PP.

He's got to pick a plan and go with it for a few games, let team get chemistry.

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 12:20:10 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Why not start Wilcox?
He should be in the conversation too.
And i think he and KG complement each other.

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 12:24:05 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Why not start Wilcox?
He should be in the conversation too.
And i think he and KG complement each other.

Ya whether or not he starts I don't see a reason why Wilcox shouldn't get a nice increase in minutes as he starts to feel more comfortable..the guy played very well with consistent minutes last season
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 12:38:59 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Start Bass for now.

Stay away from the Bass/Sullinger combo.  (or Green with one of them)  Use Wilcox when KG is out.

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 12:42:04 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I'm fine with the current lineup. I like Bass to finish games. Also, i think our problem is just chemistry...it'll come

there still work to do, but we're still in better shape than the Lakers :-p

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 12:46:49 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
It all depends on the lineup we are facing each night. Doc has said as much, that there will probably be 3-4 different starting lineups depending on matchup.

Sully develops faster the more playing time he gets. The more minutes and key minutes Sully gets before the playoffs, the better off we'll be.

Wilcox looks primed to cut into Sully's minutes, so Sully will have to develop fast to hold him off.

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 12:48:55 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I'm in favor of starting bass. I think he fits better with the starting unit and I can see sully getting overwhelmed by big games and his defense is a little scary.

Who do you think and why?

Bass gives the second unit offense.  We don't need that with the first unit.  Our problems on offense last year came from the fact that our bench was horrible.  Bass has many attributes, but he is arguably the best spot-up shooter on the team.  That is automatic O. 

Further, since KG likes to play on the perimeter, Bass is redundant with that group.  Sully gives us an interior player that contrasts nicely with KG.

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 12:57:39 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Stay away from the Bass/Sullinger combo.  (or Green with one of them)  Use Wilcox when KG is out.

To me this is the key.  I would start Sullinger, but ultimately I don't think it makes a huge difference whether Bass or Sullinger starts.  But it is a big problem when the combination of them are playing 2/3 of the minutes up front and playing big minutes together.  I think they are a very good combination to share the PF minutes between them, but both of them really need to play with a longer player to protect the basket a little better.

So, whether its Wilcox or Darko, someone is going to have to step up for the minutes when KG is on the bench.  I tend to think that is still the plan though, and the reason they aren't playing is because of injuries and learning the system...but hopefully sooner rather than later, one of them can fill that role.

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 01:02:18 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

To me this is the key.  I would start Sullinger, but ultimately I don't think it makes a huge difference whether Bass or Sullinger starts.  But it is a big problem when the combination of them are playing 2/3 of the minutes up front and playing big minutes together.  I think they are a very good combination to share the PF minutes between them, but both of them really need to play with a longer player to protect the basket a little better.

So, whether its Wilcox or Darko, someone is going to have to step up for the minutes when KG is on the bench.  I tend to think that is still the plan though, and the reason they aren't playing is because of injuries and learning the system...but hopefully sooner rather than later, one of them can fill that role.

I want to believe that, but how long did we watch Powe and Davis play together?

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 01:04:33 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I want to believe that, but how long did we watch Powe and Davis play together?

They played together?  I seriously don't remember that.  I remember them basically being platooned, at least in their first year together.

I guess in the second year it happened a bit more, but I think that was really only when there were injuries, otherwise KG or Perk were almost always on the court.

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 01:10:25 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Wilcox has always been my choice for starting, and seeing his few minutes played so far, tells me he's ready for that role.

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 01:12:02 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Wilcox has always been my choice for starting, and seeing his few minutes played so far, tells me he's ready for that role.

I think he makes for a better backup/replacement for KG.  Otherwise it will be two shorter, not good at defending the rim players off the bench. 

That role will help the team more.

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 01:15:16 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I think he makes for a better backup/replacement for KG.  Otherwise it will be two shorter, not good at defending the rim players off the bench. 

I just like Bass' offensive punch off the bench, and think Wilcox is a better fist for our starters. But Wilcox as first replacement for KG works as well.

Point is, Bass and Sullinger together is a mistake, and will keep being a mistake.

In all, I think Wilcox compliments our starters very well, and in the 2nd half of last season he was rotating very well in our defense, etc.

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 01:16:43 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I just like Bass' offensive punch off the bench, and think Wilcox is a better fist for our starters. But Wilcox as first replacement for KG works as well.

Point is, Bass and Sullinger together is a mistake, and will keep being a mistake.

In all, I think Wilcox compliments our starters very well, and in the 2nd half of last season he was rotating very well in our defense, etc.

I agree, but as long as the top 4 big men are the ones they are, reserve is a better role for him to have for the team.