Author Topic: Rondo "I'm faster than Lebron, would beat Ray in a race running backwards"  (Read 6360 times)

Re: Rondo "I'm faster than Lebron, would beat Ray in a race running backwards"
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 09:07:02 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Its a pity that both of those guys are playing better perimeter D than 10 rondos at the moment.

I can tell you haven't seen many of Allen's games in a Heat uniform.

Nope...I have.

Well if you watch carefully you would notice that Allen is one of the primary reasons the Heat are giving up so many points this year. He constantly gets beat by players which force his teammates to help out. The result is more more open looks then they've given up the last couple of years.

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 09:08:05 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I'm waiting for the day he can beat him in a free throw shooting contest  ;D

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 09:34:57 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Haha that is pretty funny

Personally, I've always thought Lebron's speed is overrated. 

Don't get me wrong, he is crazy fast for a guy of his size...but people talk about him being the fastest guy in the league, and I don't see it.

IMHO Rondo and Barbosa are both much faster end-to-end than Lebron is. 

Lebron is just scary because his speed (combined with his size/weight) makes me the equivalent of a freight train if you happened to get in front of him when he's moving at full speed.

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 10:06:26 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Don't get me wrong, he is crazy fast for a guy of his size...but people talk about him being the fastest guy in the league, and I don't see it.

Lebron is just scary because his speed (combined with his size/weight) makes me the equivalent of a freight train if you happened to get in front of him when he's moving at full speed.

have you seen the chase down blocks?  how does he catch up to these guys if he's not faster than them?  and if you're going to attribute it to him not having the ball, why wouldn't other players be able to do the same defensively?  lebron definitely is that fast.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 10:14:46 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
John Wall

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 10:50:17 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I agree with this 100%.  Lebron is fast.  He is probably the most dangerous trailing defender in the league because of his speed and jumping ability and timing.

have you seen the chase down blocks?  how does he catch up to these guys if he's not faster than them?  and if you're going to attribute it to him not having the ball, why wouldn't other players be able to do the same defensively?  lebron definitely is that fast.

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 12:07:53 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

What's the value of Rondo chasing down LeBron the way LeBron does on his chase down blocks? To turn the dunk into an and-1?

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 01:16:53 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

LeBron is not the only player in The NBA to get chase down blocks.  Heck, he has a guy on his own team (Wade) who does as well, just not as often.

LeBron is just the best at it, due to his combination of speed, size, and athleticism.  It is unrivaled.

Most decent NBA players can chase down a player running with the ball.   Most players don't have the size and athleticism for it to matter.

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 01:34:26 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

I already said he's extremely fast, but IMHO he's just not Rajon Rondo / Leandro Barbosa fast.

He's able to get the chase down blocks becuase of a combination of:

1. His speed
2. His vertical & leaping ability
3. His height & length
4. His defensive coordination and aggressiveness

I do believe he has the speed of a guard, but I don't believe he has the same level of speed as the absolute fastest guards in the league (such as Rondo, or Allen Iverson / Leandro Barbosa in their primes). 

If Avery Bradley had Lebron's height, length and strength I've got no doubt he'd get just as many chase down blocks. 

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 01:41:43 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Actually to be completely honest (and even on a Celtics forum I'll probably get flamed for this) I just don't think Lebron is as good a defensive player as people say he is.

I very rarely see Lebron get right up in a players face (the way Gary Payton, Michael Jordan or even Avery Bradley has) and force them into commiting awkward turnovers.  I don't see Lebron as a 'lock down' defender at all. 

All of Lebron's defensive ability seems to pretty much relies on his size and athleticism.   If he gets stops it's becuase he's blocking a shot, or getting a steal.

I'd say that he is a very good (but not elite) on ball defender.  In fact I would say that D-Wade at his peak was a far more aggressive and disruptive than Lebron is right now. 

I think he's a better offensive player than he is a defensive player.   Just my opinion though!

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2012, 01:53:20 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Its a pity that both of those guys are playing better perimeter D than 10 rondos at the moment.

Nope...I have.

Well if you watch carefully you would notice that Allen is one of the primary reasons the Heat are giving up so many points this year. He constantly gets beat by players which force his teammates to help out. The result is more more open looks then they've given up the last couple of years.

Watch rondo carefully. At most it is about 3 lateral steps and then once his opposing PG blows by him he will attempt a ridiculous steal from behind. The cat let AJ price score 15.   

I know rondo can play good, proper defense aswell. That is what frustrates me.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2012, 02:51:00 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Nope...I have.

Watch rondo carefully. At most it is about 3 lateral steps and then once his opposing PG blows by him he will attempt a ridiculous steal from behind. The cat let AJ price score 15.   

I know rondo can play good, proper defense aswell. That is what frustrates me.

This is true - Rondo can definately play elite level on-ball defense when he wants to. I remember that time a few years back when he made it a mission to guard LeBron, and he was giving him absolute hell.

These days he doesn't seem to put in the same effort, but I think that probably has a lot to do with the amount of energy he uses up on offense.  If he wasted all of his energy on defense he wouldn't be able to direct the offense for 40,minutes like he has been lately.

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 03:44:17 AM »

Offline JBone4eva

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 17
I honestly think Rondo's speed is overrated, I think that Avery (definitively), and Courtney Lee are both faster than he is, and Jeff green and Barbosa could very well be too.  Avery Bradley is unbelievable fast, he has some of the quickest feet I have ever seen in the NBA. 

I would really love to see some NBA foot races, they should add that into All Star weekend festivities or something.  Give the winner a check to his choice of charity.

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2012, 08:27:24 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

I already said he's extremely fast, but IMHO he's just not Rajon Rondo / Leandro Barbosa fast.

He's able to get the chase down blocks becuase of a combination of:

1. His speed
2. His vertical & leaping ability
3. His height & length
4. His defensive coordination and aggressiveness

I do believe he has the speed of a guard, but I don't believe he has the same level of speed as the absolute fastest guards in the league (such as Rondo, or Allen Iverson / Leandro Barbosa in their primes). 

If Avery Bradley had Lebron's height, length and strength I've got no doubt he'd get just as many chase down blocks.

Yeah this isn't even a debate. Lebron may be the fastest forward but he is certainly slower than the speedy guards in the NBA.

Lebrons blocks occur mainly because he has impeccable timing and athleticism.

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 09:42:51 AM »

Offline Chelm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
I can't verify (and may be mistaken), but I do recall Dwayne Wade doing well in the Illinois state finals in the 100m in high school, pulling 10.34 or so (which is about what Chris Johnson pulled at the same age).  He's 30 now, so I doubt that ability is still there, but I'd still put him over anyone else in the NBA in a 100m dash (not 40m, or anything else pertinent to basketball) if I had to put money down.  I was a sprinter in college during Wade's HS years.

EDIT:  note that Chris Johnson is not even close to the fastest man in the NFL in terms of track & field (100m, composite track, spikes, blocks).  It sort of irks me that his name is constantly bandied about ever since he challenged Usain Bolt to a footrace (hah).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 09:57:39 AM by Chelm »