Author Topic: Rondo "I'm faster than Lebron, would beat Ray in a race running backwards"  (Read 6361 times)

Re: Rondo "I'm faster than Lebron, would beat Ray in a race running backwards"
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2012, 03:40:56 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Actually to be completely honest (and even on a Celtics forum I'll probably get flamed for this) I just don't think Lebron is as good a defensive player as people say he is.

I very rarely see Lebron get right up in a players face (the way Gary Payton, Michael Jordan or even Avery Bradley has) and force them into commiting awkward turnovers.  I don't see Lebron as a 'lock down' defender at all. 

All of Lebron's defensive ability seems to pretty much relies on his size and athleticism.   If he gets stops it's becuase he's blocking a shot, or getting a steal.

I'd say that he is a very good (but not elite) on ball defender.  In fact I would say that D-Wade at his peak was a far more aggressive and disruptive than Lebron is right now. 

I think he's a better offensive player than he is a defensive player.   Just my opinion though!

He's an unbelievably versatile defender.  He can guard almost anyone 1-4 in this league.  He was put on Derrick Rose in the 4th quarter in the playoffs 2 years ago and completely shut him down.  He held Pierce to atrocious shooting %s in every game of last season's playoffs.  To be honest, and I'm a huge Pierce fan, but when Pierce has the ball isolated against Lebron, Lebron looks far more comfortable than other defenders do and Pierce has been much more willing to pass the ball rather than try to take him.

You don't have to get up in people's faces to be a good defender.  As a matter of fact, when you do, you're usually putting yourself at risk to get beat off the dribble.  Ask players who have gone against Bruce Bowen if you need to be super aggressive to be effective on defense.

I think Lebron is the 2nd or 3rd best defender in the NBA behind Dwight and maybe Tyson Chandler.  Iguodala is a close 4th.  I think Bradley will soon earn his way into that discussion, but just hasn't shown it over enough minutes yet.

It's a mistake to leave KG out of the list of top five defenders.

Good point!  I'd say Dwight is 1st, then KG, Tyson, and Lebron all fall somewhere in 2-4.  Iggy again at a close 5th.  He has played very good defense on great offensive players like Lebron and Pierce over the past few years.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Re: Rondo "I'm faster than Lebron, would beat Ray in a race running backwards"
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2012, 03:12:40 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
Because I know you guys love ray threads so much.....

Rondo was just on WEEI and they asked him who would win in a race between Lebron and himself. Rondo said I would

They asked him who would win between him and Wade. Rondo sid I would

Then they asked between him and Ray. Rondo says I could beat him running backwards .

thought it was kinda funny , that is all

we all know who won the tortoise and  hare race! Rondo can't carry water for Allen's career. Rondo is losing focus.