Author Topic: When will our offensive flow come back?  (Read 3339 times)

When will our offensive flow come back?
« on: November 08, 2012, 07:44:27 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Last season I remember some opposing player saying that we were the only team running multiple plays per possession like it was the playoffs, he said this at the begining of the season.

Right now the offense has been the most stagnant/uncohesive since 2007 when Rondo would leave the game and Eddie House would come in.  I know that they will get things going once the team gels but when do you all think that will happen?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Re: When will our offensive flow come back?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 08:10:01 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't see it happening until Doc figures out a rotation at the earliest.  I've never thought Doc was a particularly good coach on offense and I think this year is bearing that opinion out so far.  sure part of it is guys not making some open shots or shots they'd normally make but there's just so little offensive cohesion on the floor it's like watching a pick-up game.

There's plenty of guys on this team that can score so that's not the issue.  Basketball only has so many variations of basic plays to run and every coach worth his paycheck knows those plays and how his roster fits into those plays.  I can only hope Doc and his staff figure this out within the next month so Danny can evaluate if it's the talen on the team or if it's the coaching staff that needs a shake up. 

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 09:37:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
When we get the rotation more worked out and Terry/Lee/Green are more comfortable in their roles.

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 09:38:37 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
When the team stop treating Terry and Lee like Ray and come up with some sets that work towards their strengths. 

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 11:09:20 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
When the team stop treating Terry and Lee like Ray and come up with some sets that work towards their strengths.

This.

And also when we stop the Rondo dribble for 14 seconds while trying to get it into a posted up KG while the other three stand around. Cant get it to him and then force something out of desperation.

Run, move the ball, and go to the basket. Then things will start happening. When we stand around the perimeter and take jump shots all day, nothings going to happen for us.

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 11:27:32 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
JET needs to shoot a little bit more is all I need. I he gets to his comfort zone, we will be fine.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 11:47:28 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
When we stop playing Rondo 40 minutes a night.

First, it's getting him tired. While he's shown remarkable resilience and willingness to suck it up, I question his decision-making when he gets a bit tired.

Second, it doesn't give Terry an opportunity to establish as an offensive presence.

Third, it relegates Green to a spot-up shooter. We got the most out of Green in the preseason when he had the ball in his hands.

This team simply has to establish a rotation where Rondo doesn't dominate the ball for 80% of the game time. I know he's one of the best decision-makers in the league, but he's not going to beat the opposition by himself, this has become pretty clear by now.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 12:00:48 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

First, it's getting him tired. While he's shown remarkable resilience and willingness to suck it up, I question his decision-making when he gets a bit tired.

I'd love to see Rondo down around 34 minutes per game. I think that his best level in terms of consistency and health while keeping his readiness level high to play 40+ minutes a night in the playoffs if needed.

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 12:02:28 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I'd love to see Rondo down around 34 minutes per game. I think that his best level in terms of consistency and health while keeping his readiness level high to play 40+ minutes a night in the playoffs if needed.

Yes.

And it can be easy to kill two birds with one stone.

Move Terry over to PG an extra 4-6 minutes a game. 

Move Pierce over to SG for those same minutes.

Give those SF minutes to Green and see if he can get into a groove.

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 12:09:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Give those SF minutes to Green and see if he can get into a groove.
Green looked unstoppable with the ball in his hands against second-string type players in the preseason. I can't fathom why we have him stand around while Rondo's beating the heck out of the ball. It's not going to work.

Between Terry, Green, and Sullinger/Bass, we have an offensively skilled core on the bench. You have to let them do their thing.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 01:18:12 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Agree, and while you're at it throw in "when we stop playing PP the 41 we played him last night and KG the 35 last night."

I know it was an OT game, so those numbers are somewhat skewed, but those minutes needed against a Wall-less, Nene-less Wiz team is pitiful.

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 01:34:29 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Second, it doesn't give Terry an opportunity to establish as an offensive presence.

Third, it relegates Green to a spot-up shooter. We got the most out of Green in the preseason when he had the ball in his hands.

This team simply has to establish a rotation where Rondo doesn't dominate the ball for 80% of the game time. I know he's one of the best decision-makers in the league, but he's not going to beat the opposition by himself, this has become pretty clear by now.

Any chance any member of the C's coaching staff could read this? This is the most spot on idea that will help the team a lot.

Anyone in the staff that is reading this right now, I beg you to show this to Doc Rivers.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 01:37:33 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Friday night against the Sixers.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 01:43:47 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
When we decide to be something other then a small ball team that wants to walk the ball up the court....run!

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 02:27:34 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Have we ever had one?  ;D

Seriously, though, this team is predicated on defense, and most of its success the last 5 seasons has been because, despite often scoring only about 90 points a game, the defense has usually surrendered less than that.

The number of games in the last 5 years in which this team has had a real, honest-to-goodness offensive flow for anything close to 48 minutes can probably be counted on two hands. I'd love to see a big improvement on that.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis