Author Topic: I still don't understand why Danny didn't resign Tony Allen  (Read 3356 times)

I still don't understand why Danny didn't resign Tony Allen
« on: November 08, 2012, 07:25:51 AM »

Offline chenaren

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
At that time (summer 2010), Tony just did a phenomenal job on guarding Wade and Lebron in playoffs, and the Heat formed their big 3. Why didn't Danny actively persuade Tony to stay? He can be a real difference maker when facing the Heat, not to mention it only costs 3 to 4 million a year while Jeff Green gets paid 9. In my opinion, this might be one of the worst moves Danny has made.

Re: I still don't understand why Danny didn't resign Tony Allen
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 07:27:05 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
He wanted to start.

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 07:46:32 AM »

Kiorrik

I think they made an offer, but Tony decided to go to Memphis. Yes, it sucks, but it's not Danny's fault.

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 08:08:05 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It all came down to years.  As I recall, Danny offered two, and Tony wanted three.  In hindsight, it seems like an easy decision:  Tony as an elite defender, and played very well as a backup SF (a position we later traded our starting center to fill).

However, in Danny's defense:

* Tony was injury prone.  At the time, he had missed 28, 36, 7, 49, an 31 games in the previous five seasons.  Committing guaranteed money to him for three years was a risk;

* Danny was preserving cap flexibility.  Between the pending, then-unknown CBA and a ton of expiring contracts all set to time out at the same time, Danny wanted to preserve the opportunity to make a big free agent splash.  Tony's salary could have impacted that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 08:57:08 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Please tell me we aren't starting the Tony Allen debate again...it's been 2 years, and he was a marginal player who was a complete disaster on offense.  Let it go.

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 09:06:24 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
It all came down to years.  As I recall, Danny offered two, and Tony wanted three.  In hindsight, it seems like an easy decision:  Tony as an elite defender, and played very well as a backup SF (a position we later traded our starting center to fill).

* Tony was injury prone.  At the time, he had missed 28, 36, 7, 49, an 31 games in the previous five seasons.  Committing guaranteed money to him for three years was a risk;

* Danny was preserving cap flexibility.  Between the pending, then-unknown CBA and a ton of expiring contracts all set to time out at the same time, Danny wanted to preserve the opportunity to make a big free agent splash.  Tony's salary could have impacted that.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Doc said at the time that it wasn't a contractual issue and Allen wanted a bigger role with the Grizzlies.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 09:16:21 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Doc said at the time that it wasn't a contractual issue and Allen wanted a bigger role with the Grizzlies.
I thought they offered 2, Grizzlies offered 3, and the C's thought they'd get a chance to match that sort of offer.

Instead Tony took the Memphis contract because he wanted a bigger role. Doc and Ainge seemed to be legitimately shocked that it had happened that way.

(Makes me wonder if the agent said they'd get a chance to match "ie start a bidding war" and Tony overruled him)

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 09:26:36 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
TA also never said it was about money. TA made the right choice for himself, pushing Mayo to the bench in his first season with Memphis.

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 09:28:50 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

But he traded for Green instead, meaning a big free agent splash wasn't the most important thing on his mind.  Unless he planned on renouncing Green.  I personally don't think 3-4 mil in salary is truly crippling to the cap when you get an elite talent in return.

And speaking of hindsight, it's too bad he didn't stick out those two years because he would've made it completely out of Ray's shadow.  Rondo, Tony, AND Bradley would be such a devastating rotation.  Literally the 3 best backcourt defenders in the league (with Thabo in there somewhere). LeBron/Wade would be in tears, and not even they could do anything with those 3 on the break.

Current rosters/salaries aside, I'd trade Green for Tony straight up and not lose any sleep.  Throw their respecting salaries in there and it's a steal.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 09:50:19 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

But he traded for Green instead, meaning a big free agent splash wasn't the most important thing on his mind.  Unless he planned on renouncing Green.  I personally don't think 3-4 mil in salary is truly crippling to the cap when you get an elite talent in return.

And speaking of hindsight, it's too bad he didn't stick out those two years because he would've made it completely out of Ray's shadow.  Rondo, Tony, AND Bradley would be such a devastating rotation.  Literally the 3 best backcourt defenders in the league (with Thabo in there somewhere). LeBron/Wade would be in tears, and not even they could do anything with those 3 on the break.

Current rosters/salaries aside, I'd trade Green for Tony straight up and not lose any sleep.  Throw their respecting salaries in there and it's a steal.

Green was in his last year so they could have just said "good bye" if they needed that space.

I don't have an issue with losing TA because of what was going on.

The bigger issue was not properly replacing him in that off season. 

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 09:54:52 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

I thought they offered 2, Grizzlies offered 3, and the C's thought they'd get a chance to match that sort of offer.

Instead Tony took the Memphis contract because he wanted a bigger role. Doc and Ainge seemed to be legitimately shocked that it had happened that way.

(Makes me wonder if the agent said they'd get a chance to match "ie start a bidding war" and Tony overruled him)
Yeah that's how I remember it, although there were also reports about him feeling less than wanted by the Celtics.  I understand how basketball is a strict business with Ainge, but we've heard the EXACT same thing from MULTIPLE players over the past years.  At one point I believe Roy Hobbs even made a thread encouraging discussion about whether or not all the free agent incidents/misunderstandings were a result of our front office's negotiating tactics.

After hearing nothing for the past 3 weeks except how unwanted/alienated Ray Allen felt and how nobody called him and told him what he wanted to hear during the offseason, I've kinda accepted this annual deja-vu.
Philly:

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 09:56:46 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Tony is quite the defensive presence, but he wasn't going to have a much larger role on the team than he already had and that was a major part of the problem. Sure he could have taken some minutes away from Ray, but I like Avery much more than TA - especially his offense. The team still runs its offense through Paul at the 3 and that wasn't about to change.

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 10:27:11 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

that is how i remember it as well, tony was stuck behind ray & paul
now it took tony 6-7 years to get (most) of the bonehead plays out of his system, if he didn't improve that aspect of his game he probably would have been traded anyways
bradley might not have tony's size but he is a much greater force as a defender for the guard positions

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 10:40:56 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

Green was in his last year so they could have just said "good bye" if they needed that space.

I don't have an issue with losing TA because of what was going on.

The bigger issue was not properly replacing him in that off season.
Right but the year after that when he was hurt, there was all that talk about him still being a part of the team, him being part of our future, him having the potential to become a better defender than Perk.  All before Dwight waived his ETO.  Obviously that could've been us keeping our options open, and we could've renounced him anyway, but it never sounded like he was just a rental.
Philly:

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 10:49:10 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Tony Allen is a role player, as such he needs to be in a role that works well.

Rajon Rondo and Tony Allen on the court at the same time (at least at time when TA was a FA) was a very bad thing. Plus money/years. Plus size of roll.

I think Tony needed more minutes to get his groove back (which he had never really recovered since the injury in 07.) He's 31 and not a good shooter, decent chance he drops off a cliff sooner than you expect.