Author Topic: GOP in Deep Trouble, Ron Paul Looking Good  (Read 11016 times)

Re: GOP in Deep Trouble, Ron Paul Looking Good
« Reply #150 on: November 09, 2012, 12:56:17 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think the GOP does need to change to broaden the party.   In that sense, they are in trouble and in denial.  Blaming this election on a storm makes no sense.  If that were the case the storm was an act of God and he wanted Obama elected with that logic.  I don't think many would endorse that thought with that in mind.  GOP lost because they alienated a lot of people in their primary process and some of their candidates declared a war on woman with stupid comments on rape.

However, it is a pattern of US history that once a party gets in power that they overstep that power and pay the next cycle.  Nancy Pelosi was really guilty of this prior to the 2010 election and it cost them the house.

Their are some people clearly in denial over this election.   It wasn't a crushing victory in terms of popular vote but electorally it certainly was a big win.   The House was safe from the beginning but ask Michelle Bachmann if she now feels safe, she won but only barely with a heavily gerrymandered district.   The Senate was up for grabs but some nutjobs with medieval views on rape killed any chances of that happening.  Now we have people stating that Obama suppressed the vote with negative adds.   Both sides did that as I see it and they did it to Kerry in 2004.  They also blame this on an act of God.

I think Karl Rove is going nuts because he depends on big donors and he didn't get results.   He took their money, lied saying he could deliver the goods and didn't.   He was guilty of lot of attack adds and poll manipulation.   He really had a meltdown.  Is it just me or does he look like Porky Pig...

« Reply #151 on: November 09, 2012, 02:42:45 PM »

Online BballTim

• Sam Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1012
The democrats are obviously no different when they lose. I still remember Lloyd Bentson saying that they still had a chance in Texas (a state they lost by double digits) because the polls were still open in the western edge of the state.
I guess that word means different things to different people. It's much less defensible to be so wrong these days, when it's so easy to be right because of the accuracy of the available data. While Rove was foaming at the mouth, I remember Chuck Todd very patiently explaining why NBC called Ohio when they did.

Rove wasn't foaming at the mouth. All he was saying was that, while he didn't have access to the amount of data that the guys making the call had, he thought that it was still possible for Romney to win.

« Reply #152 on: November 09, 2012, 02:57:46 PM »

Offline Cman

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 229
The democrats are obviously no different when they lose. I still remember Lloyd Bentson saying that they still had a chance in Texas (a state they lost by double digits) because the polls were still open in the western edge of the state.
I guess that word means different things to different people. It's much less defensible to be so wrong these days, when it's so easy to be right because of the accuracy of the available data. While Rove was foaming at the mouth, I remember Chuck Todd very patiently explaining why NBC called Ohio when they did.

Rove wasn't foaming at the mouth. All he was saying was that, while he didn't have access to the amount of data that the guys making the call had, he thought that it was still possible for Romney to win.

I agree, he didn't have quite the meltdown that people are making it out to be.

But Fox gave him too much airtime to spin, spin, spin. What they should have done was what NBC did -- explain why they were making the call (which they eventually did).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #153 on: November 09, 2012, 03:01:46 PM »

Offline Cman

• Danny Ainge
While we're on Karl Rove, let's hear from the realDonaldTrump:

Congrats to @KarlRove on blowing $400 million this cycle. Every race @CrossroadsGPS ran ads in, the Republicans lost. What a waste of money.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/266283107014025216
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #154 on: November 09, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »

Offline foulweatherfan

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1441

But Fox gave him too much airtime to spin, spin, spin. What they should have done was what NBC did -- explain why they were making the call (which they eventually did).

Yeah, I didn't get that either.  Rove was in full "campaign manager" mode, and probably sweating quite a bit over the failures of his SuperPAC, but the gist of his argument was "it doesn't seem impossible for Romney to win, so it's too soon to call". 

His point wasn't very strong since several states had already been called for the candidate who was actually behind in the certified votes, but it wasn't some ludicrous unhinged rant or anything. I think a lot of people just wanted to laugh at him so it's been made into something it wasn't.

« Reply #155 on: November 09, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 640
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeah, I didn't get that either.  Rove was in full "campaign manager" mode, and probably sweating quite a bit over the failures of his SuperPAC, but the gist of his argument was "it doesn't seem impossible for Romney to win, so it's too soon to call". 

His point wasn't very strong since several states had already been called for the candidate who was actually behind in the certified votes, but it wasn't some ludicrous unhinged rant or anything. I think a lot of people just wanted to laugh at him so it's been made into something it wasn't.

It was more due to FOX exploiting the situation and attempt to create some compelling television by creating the drama there.  It really wasn't a meltdown by Rove but still some great television to watch.  Sucked me in.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2012, 03:12:01 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Bob Cousy
  • Tommy Points: 1975

Jon Stewart was sill able to twist it into one of the more hilarious Daily Shows in a long time without to much help though. The mathematics that Republicans do to make themselves feel better line was priceless.

Yeah, but I agree, he didn't blow a gasket. But he wasn't being a good, dignified loser either.
2015 CB HISTORICAL DRAFT: COMING THIS OCTOBER
FORMAT:
3 players from 1960-73
3 players from 1974-86
3 players from 1987-00
3 players from 2001-Pres
1 player from any era

« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2012, 03:13:23 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 220
That was overstating it a bit, but the man was still flustered, and he was fighting against better analysis by the seat of his pants. He seemed to have plenty of data. It's less defensible these days than it used to be.

« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2012, 03:19:17 PM »

Offline Cman

• Danny Ainge
That was overstating it a bit, but the man was still flustered, and he was fighting against better analysis by the seat of his pants. He seemed to have plenty of data. It's less defensible these days than it used to be.

I guess the lesson is, it is tough when your data is telling you that you just wasted $400M...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #159 on: November 09, 2012, 03:21:01 PM »

Offline foulweatherfan

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1441

It was more due to FOX exploiting the situation and attempt to create some compelling television by creating the drama there.  It really wasn't a meltdown by Rove but still some great television to watch.  Sucked me in.

Full disclosure: I was watching it live as it happened (blame schadenfreunde and alcohol) with a voting returns map of Ohio on my iPad.  Even I could quickly check his county-by-county numbers and see they didn't add up - way too many Cuyahoga votes outstanding.  He was grasping at straws more than coming unglued, but it certainly gave them something to talk about for awhile.

« Reply #160 on: November 09, 2012, 08:30:25 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 72
    • Self Assay

« Reply #161 on: November 09, 2012, 10:29:28 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 835
Back on topic...

Why Hispanic vote might not be the GOP salvation:
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/332916/why-hispanics-dont-vote-republicans-heather-mac-donald#

People thought the Hispanic vote was going to be the GOP salvation?

« Reply #162 on: November 10, 2012, 11:34:31 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 301
We need a brand new federal govn't. The only way to do this is to not vote ever again.

Abolish all the branches of the federal gov't....it's the only way.

« Reply #163 on: November 10, 2012, 11:39:24 AM »

Offline InfiniteMH

• Gerald Wallace
  • Tommy Points: 17
We need a brand new federal govn't. The only way to do this is to not vote ever again.

Abolish all the branches of the federal gov't....it's the only way.

« Reply #164 on: November 10, 2012, 10:14:57 PM »

Offline IndeedProceed

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1867
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Tweeter isn't gonna touch that with a 10 ft pole.

DKC Portland Trailblazers Team Card
Questions about the DKC? Ask here: LINK
Free Agency Tracker: Link

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsBlog Forums.

Welcome to CelticsBlog