Author Topic: What's next for GOP?  (Read 7123 times)

What's next for GOP?
« on: November 07, 2012, 08:10:54 PM »

Offline D Dub

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 73
Just browsing the FOX News page a bit.  Sentiment seems to be that Romney drifted too far center & alienated the base. 

Huh.. 

Where do you think the GOP goes from here? 

Re: What's next for GOP?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 08:21:50 PM »

Offline JSD

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 377
  • Just So Dedicated
I would say it is time to give the social conservatives and neocons the boot and adopt more libertarians.

Fiscally conservative yet socially liberal, has to be the future of the party at this point.

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 08:39:47 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1172
Just browsing the FOX News page a bit.  Sentiment seems to be that Romney drifted too far center & alienated the base. 

Huh.. 

That makes no sense to me. It was actually the opposite, it was his going to bed with the extreme right earlier on that alienated a lot of voters. And if you ask many in the Republican Party, they'll see it that way...

That Fox News is saying that, it further illustrates to me that there'll be a big divide on that party.

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 08:41:23 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 650
  • What a Pub Should Be
Could start with getting the Latino vote.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 08:44:19 PM »

Offline JSD

• Tiny Archibald
  • Just So Dedicated

Huh.. 

That makes no sense to me. It was actually the opposite, it was his going to bed with the extreme right earlier on that alienated a lot of voters. And if you ask many in the Republican Party, they'll see it that way...

That Fox News is saying that, it further illustrates to me that there'll be a big divide on that party.

Let's call a spade a spade, it was his religious stances on "woman's rights" and "gay rights" that did him in.

I put those in quotations because viewing people in groups is wrong to me.

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 08:48:45 PM »

Offline JSD

• Tiny Archibald
  • Just So Dedicated
Could start with getting the Latino vote.

So run Marco Rubio? It still wont be enough.

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 02:30:39 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1962
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/426521?playlist_id=1251

This guy is gonna make it pretty tough to win in 2016 for the Dems. Very charismatic, very likable.

DKC Portland Trailblazers Team Card
Questions about the DKC? Ask here: LINK
Free Agency Tracker: Link

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 02:35:23 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 72
    • Self Assay
http://www.hulu.com/watch/426521?playlist_id=1251

This guy is gonna make it pretty tough to win in 2016 for the Dems. Very charismatic, very likable.
In the words of Taylor Swift, he's never ever, never ever getting nominated, ever.

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 03:21:45 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 2030
I would say it is time to give the social conservatives and neocons the boot and adopt more libertarians.

Fiscally conservative yet socially liberal, has to be the future of the party at this point.
This...though I wouldn't go radical libertarian like Dr. Paul either.

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 03:25:36 PM »

Online LooseCannon

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 721

I think they put a non-white uber-conservative in the 2016 VP slot, then fail to understand why they get an even lower percentage of the minority vote.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 12:04:55 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1962
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

DKC Portland Trailblazers Team Card
Questions about the DKC? Ask here: LINK
Free Agency Tracker: Link

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 03:58:12 PM »

Online thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2187
Jeb Bush.  Yes, another Bush in the White House.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 09:26:28 AM »

Online Moranis

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
I think a Christie/Portman platform could have a lot of success for the GOP in 4 years, but I really don't think Christie will get the nomination (though Portman might as the Presidential candidate). 
2014 Pick 2 Draft 18th pick of 20
Sacramento Kings
Starters - Isaiah Thomas, Eric Gordon, Jimmy Butler, Dirk Nowitzki, Demarcus Cousins
Bench - Kendall Marshall, Michael Carter-Williams, Vince Carter, Wesley Johnson, Marcus Morris, Miles Plumlee, Nerlens Noel

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 09:47:53 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 636

Huh.. 

Let's call a spade a spade, it was his religious stances on "woman's rights" and "gay rights" that did him in.

I put those in quotations because viewing people in groups is wrong to me.

I think this was part of it.  But I think ultimately, no one really knew where he stood.  Which is death for a candidate facing an incumbent. 

He was wishy washy about everything.  He pandered to the Republican base in the primaries, and then tried to backtrack in the general election.  Then, when he asked for the trust of the American people on his less than transparent fiscal plans, I don't think anyone was willing to buy it.

I just think that when it comes to unseating an incumbent, you need to have a very strong candidate, who the public can trust that they know what they are going to do.  Even if a President has not been great in their first term, they still will garner more trust among the voting public than the other candidate, unless the other candidate really earns it.  Kind of a devil you know is better than the devil you don't mentality.

In 2016 it might not be as big of an issue, because both sides will be bringing forward new candidates without a track record as President.  But I do think someone like Christie, who for all his faults, comes across about as sincere as any politician I have ever seen, would be a strong candidate.  Although his health is certainly an issue.

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 11:28:48 AM »

Online LooseCannon

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 721
I think this was part of it.  But I think ultimately, no one really knew where he stood.  Which is death for a candidate facing an incumbent. 

I don't think that is death.  He tried to make the election a referendum on Obama and it turned out that a lot of people still like and trust Obama.  If more people had thought that Obama was a horrible president, then it wouldn't have mattered how much of spineless, namby-pamby candidate he was.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsBlog Forums.

Welcome to CelticsBlog