Author Topic: Do you recommend Directv or Dish network?  (Read 6840 times)

Do you recommend Directv or Dish network?
« on: November 07, 2012, 03:46:30 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
So I'm in the process of switching over to one of these providers as Comcast/Xfinity is getting a bit to expensive. I'm trying to get hooked up and settled in on something so I can go ahead and order my yearly early Christmas present NBALP! 8)

Now both of these providers are offering similar deals that arent bad, hell they are less than half of what im paying now in and around 40-60 bucks for a couple rooms. They both go up a bit after a year though and require a 2 year term. Now I don't mind it as long as the service doesnt suck and it doesnt go extremely high, i'm told it's somewhere around 70-80 on my second year of the contract.

Does anybody have any experience with either of the two? Is Directv affordable and legit as they say (im leaning here)? Should I take their word that even after a year the prices wouldnt jump up over what I am quoted? *ahem comcast im looking at you thats done this to me*
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Re: Do you recommend Directv or Dish network?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 04:31:48 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i got directv and LOVE it. 

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 04:43:23 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I never had a problem with Directtv and love it
I never used dish though
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 05:04:31 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
i got directv and LOVE it.
i got Directv and i don't love it.
i dont know about Dish network. i had Time Warner and other than the price i thought it was better than DirecTV.

few things that i didn't like:
1. i ordered movies a couple of times (PPV) and they came with no sound.
2. its easy to ADD channels to your plan, not so easy to remove it.

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 05:08:55 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
directTV has da best value sports wise, dish network missin a lot of channels i would roll wit Direct when it rains its a wrap tho lls

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 06:20:36 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Thanks for the replies guys TP sounds like Directv isn't a bad choice...

I am coming over from cable service and well some of these prices with Directv almost seem too good to be true. I understand theres a 2-year term deal, but still I am paying double or more at the moment with comcast. Is it really something in the neighborhood of around 35 bucks for say Choice package on my first year....and only the normal price of about 65 for the last year of the contract? If you guys don't mind me asking how many rooms do you guys have and what are you roughly paying (before/after 12months of deal)?

I am down with this pricing as long as it doesn't skyrocket in the last year. I'm also still a little confused about this Genie DVR or wether I should get separate boxes, all I really care for is HD and need it in 2 rooms.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 06:24:59 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It's hard for me to decide between Dish and Direct because I never had Dish. I think Dish has everything I'd want and might be cheaper. The important thing is that Comcast Cable can suck on my saaaalllllty chocolate balllls. Put em in your mouth!    I can say that. Right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HefAEb_eCsU

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 06:30:45 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I am coming over from cable service and well some of these prices with Directv almost seem too good to be true. I understand theres a 2-year term deal, but still I am paying double or more at the moment with comcast. Is it really something in the neighborhood of around 35 bucks for say Choice package on my first year....and only the normal price of about 65 for the last year of the contract? If you guys don't mind me asking how many rooms do you guys have and what are you roughly paying (before/after 12months of deal)?

I am down with this pricing as long as it doesn't skyrocket in the last year. I'm also still a little confused about this Genie DVR or wether I should get separate boxes, all I really care for is HD and need it in 2 rooms.

Have you asked your cable company to talk to the customer retention agents when you call?  They have the ability to give you a new deal as well (just to compare with what the others are offering)

I have lowered my "higher" bill at least three times.  Right now, I have the same deal as new customers even though I have been here 4 years.

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 08:45:32 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
when it rains its a wrap tho lls

i can only speak for myself, but over the last 5 yrs, since having directv, i have only lost a connection one time due to a storm (which only last about 15 minutes).....and i live in new england.

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 08:48:55 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122

i can only speak for myself, but over the last 5 yrs, since having directv, i have only lost a connection one time due to a storm (which only last about 15 minutes).....and i live in new england.
we have FIOS now but we had Direct TV for bout 15 years most thunderstorms in maryland would get ugly nd knock da signal out FIOS is underground so it stays on thru all da weather

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 09:02:43 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

seconded

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 09:27:05 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
had directv while in RI for past 3 years and was really good.  had a DVR box that messed up recordings near the end of my time with them but that was equipment failure.  moved to mass and now have comcast (because my wife didn't want a satellite on the nice new house) and we're already regretting it.  Directv had better service, rates and features over cable (both Cox and Comcast).  if Comcast doesn't get its act together soon, I'll be getting out of their contract and going back to directv.

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 10:50:47 PM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
Like Slamtheking, I reside in RI too (presently).  I've had DirecTV and it was good.  Rarely the signal would go out.  My only complaint was with the DVR, too.  Sometimes it would record the first 5 minutes of a show and then stop.  Overall, good quality service.

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 12:06:13 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Have you asked your cable company to talk to the customer retention agents when you call?  They have the ability to give you a new deal as well (just to compare with what the others are offering)

I have lowered my "higher" bill at least three times.  Right now, I have the same deal as new customers even though I have been here 4 years.
I tried, when I originally signed with them it was supposedly a 1-year contract but now after 12 months the price raised and they are holding me to the additional year I never was aware of. It's too bad I don't have the original paper I got with all the details of my term as proof so I can't show them. I'm paying me ETF and through with them. Anyway like I said what are you guys on Directv paying and for how many rooms? Did the price spike insanely high during the 13-24 month of your contract?

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 05:52:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Direct TV is better.   More options and channels.