Author Topic: Need Advice On Buying Rental Property: Pros and Cons  (Read 4880 times)

Re: Need Advice On Buying Rental Property: Pros and Cons
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 08:58:25 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Oh, an important point to remember.  Just because you legally evict someone and are awarded a monetary judgement, does not mean you will ever actually receive that monetary judgement.  You will probably be out whatever rent is due you, so don't things drag on too long before you start the eviction process.

Yeah, that's a great point.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 09:20:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Oh, an important point to remember.  Just because you legally evict someone and are awarded a monetary judgement, does not mean you will ever actually receive that monetary judgement.  You will probably be out whatever rent is due you, so don't things drag on too long before you start the eviction process.

Yeah, that's a great point.
especially with a new tenant.  If it is someone you've had awhile, you might give a bit more leeway because a car accident, health scare, etc. can be really problematic for lower income families. 

Also, if you do go the lower income tenant route, you aren't going to find very many people with impeccable credit, but certain things showing up shouldn' be as much of a concern, like medical bills.  If they fall behind on those, not nearly as big a deal, as if they fall behind on rent.  You just need to use your common sense on that type of stuff.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 09:21:35 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
DON'T   ;)

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 09:28:13 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
My advice:  Learn the law, know the law, apply the law.

Never, ever mess around with a tenant's security deposit.  Most states require you to keep this in a separate interest bearing account, and it can't be touched until the tenant moves out.  When they do move out, if you're keeping part or all of the deposit, send a specific, itemized list of damages and costs to repair.  Otherwise, you can be in hot water legally (double or even triple damages to the tenants).

Don't ever change locks on a tenant or resort to "self help" in evicting them.

If you're going to use a sample lease you find online, make sure you ask an attorney to look at it before using it. 

Also, make sure you take the time to get a good tenant.  Have a background check done by a 3rd-party agency if necessary, and don't take Section 8.

This is what I was going to say.  And I would highly recommend if you are looking in MA...RUN.  Seriously, it is not a landlord friendly state.  Yeah, you can make money, but you need to be prepared for more headaches than you can imagine. 

From what I understand, other states are a little more landlord friendly.

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 10:25:18 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Three points:

Have plenty of cushion in your cash flow projections

Doing it for tax benefits is like the tail wagging the dog

Pay attention to the previous posters

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 11:33:56 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Any and all advice is welcome. I have good, steady income, good (not great credit) and about 20k in the bank.

Are you looking for a multi-family property? Like something with 2-3 units?  And if so would you be living in one unit while renting out the others? Or renting them all out?

Or are you looking to buy a single family home, and just rent it out or possibly flip it?

I ask this because I've always heard a lot of lenders will require at least a 20%-25% down for an investment property that you're not living in.  And if you’re in the Northeast, a dilapidated house in the slums is likely going be valued at more than 80-100k, your 20k down payment might not cut it.  So maybe talk to a lender first, as I think many of them have different guidelines and lending practices for a primary residence vs an investment property.  A 20k down payment might get you a good primary residence, but not an investment property.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 10:07:23 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
NICE THREAD Wish I had read something like this before my experience.

No, dont do section 8.. it is a nightmare and you will fidn out that the experienced section 8 renters have more smarts than you. If you can, make them pay the water. They can kill you with water usage. I am telling you, if you do not do this right you will be financing folks you do not know for months at a time.

Check the plumbing and the electricity of the property you are buying.

Check with the local city bldg dept to make sure that there are no code violations or any improvements that have not been signed off by the city. I really thought there was no way you could buy property in violation, but I found out the hard way.

Dont buy a fourplex.. they present a whole set of problems.

Stay away from one bedroom units. Folks that rent one bedroom units do not hang around that long. They are usually transients.

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 10:18:22 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
My parents rent an apartment in their owner occupied house out to a woman on section 8. They always get their rent, and have had no significant problems with her.  It seems like they have a very good tenant/landlord relationship.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2012, 09:28:44 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Never, ever mess around with a tenant's security deposit.  Most states require you to keep this in a separate interest bearing account, and it can't be touched until the tenant moves out.  When they do move out, if you're keeping part or all of the deposit, send a specific, itemized list of damages and costs to repair.  Otherwise, you can be in hot water legally (double or even triple damages to the tenants).

If you're going to use a sample lease you find online, make sure you ask an attorney to look at it before using it. 

Also, make sure you take the time to get a good tenant.  Have a background check done by a 3rd-party agency if necessary, and don't take Section 8.

^^^
Most of my successful friends say that's a mandatory rule.  My own observations make it hard to disagree.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 09:42:23 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
FYI - advertising that you don't take section 8 can get you sued, I know of one case in CT where this happened and the landlord lost and had to pay a settlement. (Don't know all of details.)

Use a lawyer for any legal action: leases, notices, evictions. Etc.

Property maintenance is harder than people think. Saying you are handy isn't enough, I'd plan to have significant out of pocket expenses, especially in first few years. (Every house I've had has some sort of upgrade needed in first few years that inspection didn't predict.)

Getting rid of bad tenants is really, really hard so:
1. Be careful bringing them in
2. When you have a good one, especially multi-year one, take the certainty over marginal increase in rent. My aunts have a tenant in a multi family who has been there for years, and they don't raise her rent because: they know she pays, she takes care of the place (like its her own) and she has brought in family to fill vacancies in other units in the building. This certainty and good relationship is worth a lot - so if you get that, don't jeopardize it for short term cash flow.

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 09:58:40 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

^^^
Most of my successful friends say that's a mandatory rule.  My own observations make it hard to disagree.

Yea just be aware that's HIGHLY illegal, it's the same as discriminating based on race according to federal housing laws.

Not saying it isn't done ALL the time, but you pretty much have to "get creative" on how you ferret out if they are section 8.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 11:48:19 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I should have specified...when I said get references, I meant previous landlords.  Ask the condition of the unit when they left it, as well as their payment record.  Remember, "Normal wear and tear," which  is expected, is subjective...you may or may not get a ruling in your favor over "improvements" they have made.  Make sure to have a good lease drawn up stating what they are and are not allowed/expected to take care of.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!