Author Topic: Puerto Rico votes to Join the Union  (Read 5310 times)

Re: Puerto Rico votes to Join the Union
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2012, 10:28:49 AM »

Offline 2short

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 315
Well, I am glad for Puerto Rico.  I hope The Island joins the union some day soon.

I was born and raised in Puerto Rico.  I live and work in the mainland.  I try to visit as often as I can.  It's a beautiful Island filled with fun politically educated people who enjoy a good time.

As for the electorate;  Puertoricans are about 50/50 Republican/Democrat.

Although residents of Puerto Rico can't vote for presidency,  they get drafted and fight for the American flag all the same as ordered by the commander in chief.  So yes,  I am glad the Islad has taken the first big step in hopes of joining the Union.
drafted?

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2012, 11:12:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 417
The answer is simply just not making the states winner take and all and doing it like Nebraska does i.e. by district with the popular vote winner getting the two extra electoral college votes
Once again, gerrymandering.

Under that system Romney would have almost certainly gotten more Electoral college votes from PA/OH than Obama despite Obama getting more votes.

Yup - gerrymandering goes through the roof.  Remember the Nebraska House was so upset about Obama taking one of their EVs in 2008 that they redistricted to make it very difficult to repeat in 2012.

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2011/10/10/4e92d4929b7bb

which is why the state legislature shouldn't control things like that.  That is a much smaller problem then the one that currently exists though.
2014 Pick 2 Draft 18th pick of 20
Sacramento Kings
Starters - Isaiah Thomas, Eric Gordon, Jimmy Butler, Dirk Nowitzki, Demarcus Cousins
Bench - Kendall Marshall, Michael Carter-Williams, Vince Carter, Wesley Johnson, Marcus Morris, Miles Plumlee, Nerlens Noel

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2012, 11:47:50 AM »

Offline coco

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 67
Well, I am glad for Puerto Rico.  I hope The Island joins the union some day soon.

I was born and raised in Puerto Rico.  I live and work in the mainland.  I try to visit as often as I can.  It's a beautiful Island filled with fun politically educated people who enjoy a good time.

As for the electorate;  Puertoricans are about 50/50 Republican/Democrat.

Although residents of Puerto Rico can't vote for presidency,  they get drafted and fight for the American flag all the same as ordered by the commander in chief.  So yes,  I am glad the Islad has taken the first big step in hopes of joining the Union.
drafted?

Well obviously they don't do the draft anymore, but yes, my dad and uncle were drafted way back then.

We have a volunteer military now, and a bunch of Island Puertoricans volunteer just the same. 

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2012, 12:06:27 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 72
    • Self Assay
If I'm a conservative politician I insist on splitting California before letting in PR.
It isn't allowed.  Besides that would just get 2 extra senate and electoral college votes for Democrats because there is no way to split California that makes geographic sense that would yield a Republican controlled state.

Can we just swap PR for CA then?
Or Texas. Deporting Perry would be such a boon. Clowns like that made me able to take Arnold seriously as a politician.

Though it would be sad to lose the music scene in Austin.

As an original New Yorker, I would be glad to become a separate state. If the blue northeast separated, I'm pretty sure the northeast has the easier road ahead once disconnected from so many states that haven't pulled their weight for a long time.

This whole tangent is questionable. Just using the PR issue as a reason to mention our partisanship.

New york is such a funny state politically.  Its a huge geographic state obviously and when you get out of NYC so much of it is republican. 

Being in Ithaca for 4 years it was funny because Ithaca itself was very liberal but if you went 5 minutes outside the city in any direction you were surrounded by nothing but republican political signage
Republican party in NY is an absolute train wreck though.

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2012, 12:10:13 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 72
    • Self Assay
If I'm a conservative politician I insist on splitting California before letting in PR.
It isn't allowed.  Besides that would just get 2 extra senate and electoral college votes for Democrats because there is no way to split California that makes geographic sense that would yield a Republican controlled state.

California had more people vote Republican then every state except Florida and Texas and that might actually change since much of California still isn't in (while most of Florida and Texas are). 

The answer is simply just not making the states winner take and all and doing it like Nebraska does i.e. by district with the popular vote winner getting the two extra electoral college votes
Texas is booming economically - criticize them all you want, they look like CA looked years ago. Interesting will be the Hispanic growth their, combined with corporate growth, if it will eventually swing back.

CA makes sense to split for other reasons, not just splitting off a Republican and Democratic N/S. They are vastly different geographic issues facing the state in the north and south. Also I think their financial problems (which are really bad) might have a chance at smaller scale.

I was always under the impression that southern cali would be republican. I still think it'd be better for the country and the people who live there if it was smaller. I don't see why it's illegal either - happened before WVa/VA and MA/ME.

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2012, 06:14:50 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 721
If I could, I would split Cali into 4 states instead of 2.  One centered around LA, another around the Bay Area, and northern and southern states not including those two areas.

I find the current states to be a bit of an outdated division that makes local governance more difficult than it should be and wish we could redraw the states completely to eliminate major metropolitan areas from being divided between multiple state jurisdictions.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2012, 06:46:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 417

California had more people vote Republican then every state except Florida and Texas and that might actually change since much of California still isn't in (while most of Florida and Texas are). 

Texas is booming economically - criticize them all you want, they look like CA looked years ago. Interesting will be the Hispanic growth their, combined with corporate growth, if it will eventually swing back.

CA makes sense to split for other reasons, not just splitting off a Republican and Democratic N/S. They are vastly different geographic issues facing the state in the north and south. Also I think their financial problems (which are really bad) might have a chance at smaller scale.

I was always under the impression that southern cali would be republican. I still think it'd be better for the country and the people who live there if it was smaller. I don't see why it's illegal either - happened before WVa/VA and MA/ME.
I mis-spoke.  It is allowed, but it is much more difficult.  It requires a lot more work for it to happen that way than for a new state to just form.

Southern California has a lot more Republican districts than Northern California, but the votes are still dominated by the very democratic areas of L.A. and San Diego, which have way more votes than anywhere else.
2014 Pick 2 Draft 18th pick of 20
Sacramento Kings
Starters - Isaiah Thomas, Eric Gordon, Jimmy Butler, Dirk Nowitzki, Demarcus Cousins
Bench - Kendall Marshall, Michael Carter-Williams, Vince Carter, Wesley Johnson, Marcus Morris, Miles Plumlee, Nerlens Noel

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2012, 08:24:28 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 472
Lots of Purto Ricans serve in our Armed Forces, they are good men.

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2012, 08:26:27 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1185
Best thing about PR, drinking age = 18.

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2012, 08:30:52 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1112
If Puerto Rico want to be a state, I welcome them.

Speaking of state splitting, I think we should break Rhode Island up into three states: North, South, and East Bay.  The only problem is we'd start getting our electoral votes in fractions of a point. 
Philadelphia Seventy-Sixers  DKC General Manager

Tyreke Evans/Dennis Schroeder/Marquis Teague
Jeremy Lamb/Ray McCallum/Chris Johnson
Giannis Antetonkounpo/Darrell Arthur/Victor Claver
Kelly Olynyk/Brandan Wright/Cory Jefferson
Nerlens Noel/Timofey Mozgov/Andrew Nicholson

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2012, 10:17:26 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: -29129
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Apparently, both Obama and Congress are hesitant to sign off on this, as the majority of votes cast opted for something other than statehood:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/08/puerto-rico-state-reasons-will-not-become-51st-state_n_2095366.html

D. Cousins / F. Ezeli / P. Antic
D. West / R. Anderson / C. Copeland
L. Deng / V. Carter / D. Rudez
A. Iguodala / M. Ginobil / B. Gordon
K. Irving / S. Livingston / S. Blake

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »

Offline Chelm

• Jared Sullinger
  • Tommy Points: 28

I mis-spoke.  It is allowed, but it is much more difficult.  It requires a lot more work for it to happen that way than for a new state to just form.

Southern California has a lot more Republican districts than Northern California, but the votes are still dominated by the very democratic areas of L.A. and San Diego, which have way more votes than anywhere else.
Seriously.  It's not even close; SoCal is so firmly democrat it's not even funny... look at the numbers in L.A. alone.  Where could you split the line of CA to morph it to even be considered a vaguely swing state?  L.A. county has a MILLION more blue votes than red ones.  Hovering over every single red county in the entire state (up to the Oregon border) doesn't even come close to making up that deficit.

http://www.politico.com/2012-election/map/#/President/2012/CA

EDIT:  In short, if every single blue county besides L.A. dropped off the face of the earth, CA would still go to the Democratic party and it wouldn't even be close.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 09:44:25 PM by Chelm »

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsBlog Forums.

Welcome to CelticsBlog