Author Topic: Puerto Rico votes to Join the Union  (Read 5246 times)

Puerto Rico votes to Join the Union
« on: November 07, 2012, 10:16:38 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Voters in Puerto Rico have supported a non-binding referendum to become a full US state.

The measure will require approval from the US Congress, but President Barack Obama has said he will respect the vote.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20238272

51st State.

Re: Puerto Rico votes to Join the Union
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 10:19:27 AM »

Online Fafnir

• Global Moderator
  • Bob Cousy
  • Tommy Points: 984
Voters in Puerto Rico have supported a non-binding referendum to become a full US state.

The measure will require approval from the US Congress, but President Barack Obama has said he will respect the vote.

51st State.
Probably not happening sadly.

Same partisan logic as with DC lacking representation.

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 10:22:13 AM »

Offline Moranis

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412

51st State.

No U.S. territory has ever been denied admission when meeting all other requirements.
2014 Pick 2 Draft 18th pick of 20
Sacramento Kings
Starters - Isaiah Thomas, Eric Gordon, Jimmy Butler, Dirk Nowitzki, Demarcus Cousins
Bench - Kendall Marshall, Michael Carter-Williams, Vince Carter, Wesley Johnson, Marcus Morris, Miles Plumlee, Nerlens Noel

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 10:23:40 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 559
  • Historical Draft Best Overall/Best Defensive team
Hmm, lose pluto as a planet, gain puerto rico as a state.  My 4th grade education is going out the window
Indiana CB Draft, Kevin Durant, Deron Williams, Luis Scola, Robin Lopez, Ray Allen, Elton Brand, Rodney Stuckey, Marvin Williams, Jeff Taylor, Andrew Nicholson, Shaun Livingston, Markieff Morris, Michael Beasley

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 10:25:02 AM »

Online Fafnir

• Global Moderator
  • Bob Cousy

51st State.

No U.S. territory has ever been denied admission when meeting all other requirements.
I know, but given how ruthless filibustering and gerrymandering have become I assume the worst.

Plus it looks like several anti-statehood officials won election as well in a tight one, giving political cover potentially.

We'll see how it goes, that many people deserve representation.

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 10:26:28 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1140
On another note, the guy who was voted as governor is a complete jackass. Hope he goes away quickly in 4 years.

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 10:27:08 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: -29318
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Hmm, lose pluto as a planet, gain puerto rico as a state.  My 4th grade education is going out the window

Yeah.  "Fifty, nifty United States" just rolled off the tongue.

So what's the next step?  What's the criteria that Congress uses?

Also, I was surprised that only 53% of voters supported this.  What's the downside for Puerto Rico?

D. Cousins / I. Mahinmi / P. Antic
D. West / R. Anderson / C. Copeland
L. Deng / K. Singler / D. Rudez
A. Iguodala / V. Carter / B. Gordon / C.J. Wilcox
K. Irving / S. Livingston / S. Blake

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 10:28:34 AM »

Online Fafnir

• Global Moderator
  • Bob Cousy

Also, I was surprised that only 53% of voters supported this.  What's the downside for Puerto Rico?
Federal taxes!

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 10:29:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: -29318
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

Federal taxes!

Ah, that's a biggie.  Of course, we know that 47% of those folks won't be paying income tax anyway.  :P ;)

D. Cousins / I. Mahinmi / P. Antic
D. West / R. Anderson / C. Copeland
L. Deng / K. Singler / D. Rudez
A. Iguodala / V. Carter / B. Gordon / C.J. Wilcox
K. Irving / S. Livingston / S. Blake

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 10:30:18 AM »

Online Fafnir

• Global Moderator
  • Bob Cousy
New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.
Congress has used different criteria in the past as the constitution lets them do whatever they want really. Not sure if they've past federal laws on the matter (but any vote to accept the petition could just undo any law anyways...)

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 10:34:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412

Federal taxes!

Ah, that's a biggie.  Of course, we know that 47% of those folks won't be paying income tax anyway.  :P ;)
Plus they lose their independence and heritage pride is a very very big deal in the Puerto Rican community.
2014 Pick 2 Draft 18th pick of 20
Sacramento Kings
Starters - Isaiah Thomas, Eric Gordon, Jimmy Butler, Dirk Nowitzki, Demarcus Cousins
Bench - Kendall Marshall, Michael Carter-Williams, Vince Carter, Wesley Johnson, Marcus Morris, Miles Plumlee, Nerlens Noel

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 10:35:02 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Sam Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1034

Federal taxes!

I'm guessing the number will quite a bit higher than 47%.

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 10:35:36 AM »

Online Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 636

Federal taxes!

Did Puerto Rico have for follow federal laws, for things like minimum wage, and trade, and other regulations before?

If not, that could be an interesting change for them.  On the one hand, it will be a hit on many businesses...on the other hand, I imagine being a state would be HUGE for their tourism industry.  While they have made a lot of progress, I still think many Americans are skeptical of going to Puerto Rico, lumping it in with some of the other Caribbean Islands, that can at times have safety issues.  But being a state could change that perception.

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 10:45:29 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 643

Federal taxes!

I'll take the under on 47% if we're placing wagers.

Don't have a problem with Puerto Rico joining the Union.  Seems to me they already recieve benefits, now we can collect taxes.  Any of the Puerto Ricans I have ever met have been good, hard working people.

Sadly, the party that feels it would lose political ground by the admission of PR will likely block it.

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 11:23:44 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 72
    • Self Assay

Federal taxes!

I'll take the under on 47% if we're placing wagers.

Don't have a problem with Puerto Rico joining the Union.  Seems to me they already recieve benefits, now we can collect taxes.  Any of the Puerto Ricans I have ever met have been good, hard working people.

Sadly, the party that feels it would lose political ground by the admission of PR will likely block it.
Would English become the primary language then?

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsBlog Forums.

Welcome to CelticsBlog