Author Topic: PER is a joke  (Read 2064 times)

PER is a joke
« on: November 06, 2012, 04:50:26 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Rondo is shooting 55% overall, 40% from three and his PER is 16.87, only slightly above average for an nba player.
At this point, this thing is a joke and is only good at showing you who shoots the most. It needs to be phased out as a statistic that dictates a players overall worth.
Just to let yall know, I am not a stats hater. I am interested and definitely see the majority of statistics value (rebound rate, pace, offensive/ defensive efficiency), but PER is awful.

Re: PER is a joke
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 05:07:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Rondo is shooting 55% overall, 40% from three and his PER is 16.87, only slightly above average for an nba player.
At this point, this thing is a joke and is only good at showing you who shoots the most. It needs to be phased out as a statistic that dictates a players overall worth.
Just to let yall know, I am not a stats hater. I am interested and definitely see the majority of statistics value (rebound rate, pace, offensive/ defensive efficiency), but PER is awful.
1. PER is greatly influenced by points scored.

2. Turnovers are a great way to lower your PER.

3. These are areas that will always hurt Rondo.

4. Per basketball-reference.com Rondo's PER is 20.4 not 16.87 so I don't know what all the fuss is about.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rondora01.html

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 05:17:46 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
1. PER is greatly influenced by points scored.

2. Turnovers are a great way to lower your PER.

3. These are areas that will always hurt Rondo.

4. Per basketball-reference.com Rondo's PER is 20.4 not 16.87 so I don't know what all the fuss is about.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rondora01.html
well then espn's equations are faulty cause they list it as 16.87. The simple fact that PER relies on points scored makes me discount it. Its called "player EFFICIENCY rating", not player who scores the most rating.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 05:27:25 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I don't see how you can find fault with PER.

Look at who are the current #1 and #2 players in the league:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics

Seems spot on to me. Although I am now convinced that Danny Ainge should be fired.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 05:49:46 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It is just one model to look and compare players.  Like most models, it gives an incomplete view of players. 

It is a tool, not the end all be all of player rankings.

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
It is just one model to look and compare players.  Like most models, it gives an incomplete view of players. 

It is a tool, not the end all be all of player rankings.

Yes, it's a model, but it's particularly bad at doing what it's supposed to do: measure the efficiency of a player.

And, let's face it, most people use PER as an end all be all measure of how good a player is. As somebody else pointed out, the fact that that it's based on how many shots a player takes makes it pure garbage in achieving that purpose.

It's insane to me how little efficiency is valued among pundits and fans, especially considering it's one of 2 factors that determines the outcome of the game.

(# of possessions) x (points per possession) = final score

He with the highest final score wins. Therefore, the only way you can make your score better is by shooting more efficiently, making your opponent shoot worse (defense), getting more possessions (rebounding), and reducing turnovers.

Efficient shooters help your team win. Low percentage chuckers don't. PER rewards players for chucking, and therefore, it's pretty easy to say that it sucks as a model.

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 05:34:06 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Every stat except the standard points, rebs, assists, steals, blocks are a joke

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 05:50:46 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

1) wait a few weeks before you use PER

2) Rondo turns the ball over too much, and that hurts

3) PER doesn't measure defense very well

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 05:52:51 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Every stat except the standard points, rebs, assists, steals, blocks are a joke

And there was a point in time when baseball guys said "the only stats that matter are average, homeruns, rbi, and e.r.a" -- look what happened there.

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 06:26:55 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
nobody talks bout PER offline lol those geek stats are irrelevant in real life