Author Topic: Help Me Work Out This Fantasy Basketball Idea  (Read 2878 times)

Help Me Work Out This Fantasy Basketball Idea
« on: November 06, 2012, 03:32:59 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
So the past couple days I've been working on trying to come up with a new system for Fantasy Basketball that makes things more exciting. Here's the basis of my idea:

4 drafts in a season, you're allowed 4-5 keepers between drafts (can keep player as long as you want), winners of each quarter play each other in the end of the season w/ whatever team they end up with.

It's a little involved, but at the same time: The draft is the funnest part of any fantasy part, and it keeps everyone involved. If a key player goes down, or you just have a really bad draft you can still recover. At the same time, the keeper system rewards people who did have a good draft out of the gates.

I'm struggling with the best way to run the keepers: I think 4 auction drafts a year is TOO much so I think I might be forced into a snake.

Thoughts on keepers, or just why this would or wouldn't work?

Re: Help Me Work Out This Fantasy Basketball Idea
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 05:35:32 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
So the past couple days I've been working on trying to come up with a new system for Fantasy Basketball that makes things more exciting. Here's the basis of my idea:

4 drafts in a season, you're allowed 4-5 keepers between drafts (can keep player as long as you want), winners of each quarter play each other in the end of the season w/ whatever team they end up with.

It's a little involved, but at the same time: The draft is the funnest part of any fantasy part, and it keeps everyone involved. If a key player goes down, or you just have a really bad draft you can still recover. At the same time, the keeper system rewards people who did have a good draft out of the gates.

I'm struggling with the best way to run the keepers: I think 4 auction drafts a year is TOO much so I think I might be forced into a snake.

Thoughts on keepers, or just why this would or wouldn't work?

Thats a draft every 5 weeks or so... barely any team to really do anything with your team.  A stud player out for 2 of those 5 weeks will slide very far down the draft making them much too valuable of a keeper.

What about cutting down (er, expanding?) to 2 drafts?  I agree that the draft is the best part of the season.  I like the idea here.

And auctions freaking rule.  Snake drafts are so boring once you've participated in an auction.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 06:26:35 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
No doubt I'd prefer to do an auction draft. I think it's just probably asking too much if there were to do 4 drafts.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 07:36:55 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
I would join

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 08:44:57 PM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • Green 18 or Burst
I'd join too.  How about the idea of 4 drafts, but make it a little more complicated.  Like, for the 2nd draft, keep only 3 players.  For the third keep 4, and for the last draft, keep 7 or 8 (basically a starting 5, a 6th man, and the best of your bench).  The rest of the draft then becomes smart drafting around role players.

What about the draft order?  Would the 2nd draft reverse order from the first and then 3rd draft reflects season standings?  I'm hhaving a hard time thinking about how tanking to get a better pick along the line would play out.

Cool idea though.

Green 17 vol. 1-4  available here: https://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/