Author Topic: Election day 2012  (Read 31978 times)

Re: Election day 2012
« Reply #195 on: November 06, 2012, 05:43:23 PM »

Online foulweatherfan

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1576
In other news, I have just noticed that Nate Silver put Warren's chance of winning at 94%. Did I miss Scott Brown punching a baby on television? I thought that the race was considerably closer than this.

Haven't really followed that race (not in MA) but it looks like the reasons are:

- Lots of polling, more than almost any other Senate race
- Brown leads or is tied in a few polls, but Warren leads in most
- Warren's poll leads are bigger than Brown's, and Brown doesn't break 50% in any poll
- Massachusetts is generally a solid blue state

Does seem a bit high though, especially since Brown's better results tend to be more recent.

« Reply #196 on: November 06, 2012, 05:50:50 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 563
  • Historical Draft Best Overall/Best Defensive team
In other news, I have just noticed that Nate Silver put Warren's chance of winning at 94%. Did I miss Scott Brown punching a baby on television? I thought that the race was considerably closer than this.

Haven't really followed that race (not in MA) but it looks like the reasons are:

- Lots of polling, more than almost any other Senate race
- Brown leads or is tied in a few polls, but Warren leads in most
- Warren's poll leads are bigger than Brown's, and Brown doesn't break 50% in any poll
- Massachusetts is generally a solid blue state

Does seem a bit high though, especially since Brown's better results tend to be more recent.

Also Consider that Brown won his seat in a non-presidential election year so now they are expecting a third more people to actually vote.  A real shame, pretty terrible that MA would vote such a horrible person into office, regardless of her political stances.  But I guess it is Ted Kenedy's former seat so its fitting. 
Indiana CB Draft, Kevin Durant, Deron Williams, Luis Scola, Robin Lopez, Ray Allen, Elton Brand, Rodney Stuckey, Marvin Williams, Jeff Taylor, Andrew Nicholson, Shaun Livingston, Markieff Morris, Michael Beasley

« Reply #197 on: November 06, 2012, 05:55:37 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 661
  • What a Pub Should Be
Anyways, my prediction.

Been saying over a year now that Obama is winning this election.  I see no need to back away from that statement now. 

Obama breaks 300+ electoral votes (303), squeaks by on popular vote (less than 0.5% difference between the two), and we know a winner by the morning (possibly the boldest of the these statements). 

If I eat crow, I eat crow.  Wouldn't be the first time and probably won't be the last. 

There. It's in writing.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #198 on: November 06, 2012, 05:55:39 PM »

Online foulweatherfan

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1576
This story raises an important question - if you resurrect after voting and dying, should you get to vote again?

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121106/METRO02/211060410#ixzz2BTd4hm4M

I say yes.

« Reply #199 on: November 06, 2012, 05:56:42 PM »

Offline Cman

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 234
Wow, didn't realize this but apparently a third of all ballots cast this year are early voting ballots (an estimate). Also, only 2/3 (again, estimated) of these have been counted. Depending on how many of these are from battleground states, and how close the election is in those states, it could be several days before we know who wins....

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83406_Page2.html
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #200 on: November 06, 2012, 05:57:23 PM »

Offline Cman

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 234
Anyways, my prediction.

Been saying over a year now that Obama is winning this election.  I see no need to back away from that statement now. 

Obama breaks 300+ electoral votes (303), squeaks by on popular vote (less than 0.5% difference between the two), and we know a winner by the morning (possibly the boldest of the these statements). 

If I eat crow, I eat crow.  Wouldn't be the first time and probably won't be the last. 

There. It's in writing.

I agree that the boldes is the last. I expect it to be several days....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #201 on: November 06, 2012, 05:58:04 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey
Anyways, my prediction.

There. It's in writing.

Honestly I see no need to eat crow if Obama loses.  I think its very likely that Obama wins.  I would say 75% chance.  But since the margin is so close I really wouldnt be surprised either way.
Indiana CB Draft, Kevin Durant, Deron Williams, Luis Scola, Robin Lopez, Ray Allen, Elton Brand, Rodney Stuckey, Marvin Williams, Jeff Taylor, Andrew Nicholson, Shaun Livingston, Markieff Morris, Michael Beasley

« Reply #202 on: November 06, 2012, 05:58:52 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Just voted.  ;D

According to latest polls the President will only lose Virginia Indiana and North Carolina from 2008. President Obama 314 Mitt Romney 227 electoral College. A crushing defeat for so called "tossup" election. lol

« Reply #203 on: November 06, 2012, 06:08:20 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
<<<<< not votin but hopes Romney da racist loses

« Reply #204 on: November 06, 2012, 06:08:35 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
Also Consider that Brown won his seat in a non-presidential election year so now they are expecting a third more people to actually vote.  A real shame, pretty terrible that MA would vote such a horrible person into office, regardless of her political stances.  But I guess it is Ted Kenedy's former seat so its fitting.
Kerry is up in 2014, non-presidential year. If Brown loses, he could run then. Since by that time we'll have made some hard decisions about the deficit, I might actually be able to vote for him. Everyone wins?

« Reply #205 on: November 06, 2012, 06:23:47 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey
Romney out to a lead in Kentucky and Indianna, not a surprise to anyone

« Reply #206 on: November 06, 2012, 06:28:47 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
I am following this page, which auto-refreshes.

Also, Obama popped on Reddit and asked everyone to go vote.

« Reply #207 on: November 06, 2012, 06:30:54 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey

That map is really good, thanks for posting

« Reply #208 on: November 06, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »

Offline JSD

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 380
  • Just So Dedicated
These next 4 years will be some of the most difficult and painful economic times our country has ever seen regardless of who wins. For that reason, I prefer Obama to take it. The most devastating thing that could happen, to me at least, would be if the free market took the blame for what is going to take place. That would be the case with Romney at the helm because there is the perception out there that he is a true fiscal conservative.

Let the liberals have this one. Let big government take the blame.

$16 trillion and debt, we operate a budget that spends billions more than it takes in, and not one of these candidates has a plan in place to seriously address what will end up being a monetary crisis.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 06:58:39 PM by JSD »

« Reply #209 on: November 06, 2012, 07:04:20 PM »

Offline JSD

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 380
  • Just So Dedicated

Romney off to a bit of a lead according to this. Great link. Thanks

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsBlog Forums.

Welcome to CelticsBlog