Author Topic: Spurs East?  (Read 1997 times)

Spurs East?
« on: November 06, 2012, 12:40:02 AM »

Offline Kuberski1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
The Spurs are off to a 4-0 start, though admittedly they haven’t played any really tough games, save a close home win against the Thunder.

A look at today’s box shows their big 3 with a mere combined 23 points; 3 guys off the bench had double-digits.   They played 10 guys 15 mins+, and held Indy under 35% from the field.   I think this is a formula which can serve us well this year, given our roster:  Go beyond the usual 8 man rotation to 10 or even more, spread the minutes and shots around, define bench roles well, and most importantly have everyone play defense to the Celtic standard.   

Re: Spurs East?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 12:46:57 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I've been rooting for a Celtics-Spurs Finals for years now. I thought it had a chance of happening last season and has a good chance of happening this year if both teams can stay healthy.

So many good match ups.

Duncan vs. KG

Popovich vs. Doc

Parker vs. Rondo

Ginobli vs. JET

Leonard vs. Green/ Pierce

Blair vs. Sully and Bass

Pierce would be the X factor in such a series and i'd sign Scals to go redhead to rdhead with Matt Bonner.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 02:57:35 AM »

fitzhickey

The Spurs are off to a 4-0 start, though admittedly they haven’t played any really tough games, save a close home win against the Thunder.

A look at today’s box shows their big 3 with a mere combined 23 points; 3 guys off the bench had double-digits.   They played 10 guys 15 mins+, and held Indy under 35% from the field.   I think this is a formula which can serve us well this year, given our roster:  Go beyond the usual 8 man rotation to 10 or even more, spread the minutes and shots around, define bench roles well, and most importantly have everyone play defense to the Celtic standard.   
They beat okc coz of westbrook

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 03:59:57 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74

No, they beat OKC because of:

Zero interior scoring from big men (Perk:2 Ibaka:4 Collison:6 - On 5/15 is atrocious for interior players)
Everyone except Durant had an off shooting night, only 3 guys in double digit scoring (Spurs had 5)
No Harden to bail them out

I hear so much about Westbrook's defensive lapse but what about Durants 4 turnovers? The team has 18 and while Westbrook's 6 is way too high 18 total is a good way to lose games.

The last 2 minutes of the game went like this

Duncan misses a shot. Durant boards.
Westbrook takes a 3, Perkins rebounds.
Westbrook misses and gets fouled. Makes 2 FTs
Parker misses and Westbrook rebounds.
Westbrooks trys an alley-opp, misses.
Westbrook fouls to stop a fast break.
Parker makes a 3.
Westbrook passes the ball to Durant and Kawhi Leonard steals it.
Parker makes the go ahead 2.

It seems like the only person on the Thunder who got anything going in the last 2 minutes is Westbrook. You can say that is because he was being a ball hog but I watched it and that wasn't the case. He tried to get his team involved they just blew. Durant had the chance at a game clinching play and he got his pocket picked. Yeah Westbrook blew the last defensive play but in a close game down the stretch lots of guys can blow it. It's my opinion that the problem in OKC is Scott Brooks and not any of their players. Food for thought.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 04:43:24 AM »

Offline Kuberski1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Not concentrating on who did what at the end for OCK, I think it's worth noting they only shot 38% from the floor, some of which should be credited to the Spurs.....

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 05:30:40 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
You realize that 3/4 of our rosters are new to the system right? I'm sure Doc is figuring out what's the best rotation possible. Although his love with the small ball makes me cringe at times.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 06:51:53 AM by mr. dee »

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 07:41:39 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I was just really hoping to finally have a year like 08 where we come out the gates beating everyone on our way to the number one seed. Realistically tho i had a feeling it would take some time. How much time is the question.

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 10:10:22 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Maybe...once the lakers get going though...they may face the same problem we have..lack of decent bigs..
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 01:20:00 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

No, they beat OKC because of:

Zero interior scoring from big men (Perk:2 Ibaka:4 Collison:6 - On 5/15 is atrocious for interior players)
Everyone except Durant had an off shooting night, only 3 guys in double digit scoring (Spurs had 5)
No Harden to bail them out

I hear so much about Westbrook's defensive lapse but what about Durants 4 turnovers? The team has 18 and while Westbrook's 6 is way too high 18 total is a good way to lose games.

The last 2 minutes of the game went like this

Duncan misses a shot. Durant boards.
Westbrook takes a 3, Perkins rebounds.
Westbrook misses and gets fouled. Makes 2 FTs
Parker misses and Westbrook rebounds.
Westbrooks trys an alley-opp, misses.
Westbrook fouls to stop a fast break.
Parker makes a 3.
Westbrook passes the ball to Durant and Kawhi Leonard steals it.
Parker makes the go ahead 2.

It seems like the only person on the Thunder who got anything going in the last 2 minutes is Westbrook. You can say that is because he was being a ball hog but I watched it and that wasn't the case. He tried to get his team involved they just blew. Durant had the chance at a game clinching play and he got his pocket picked. Yeah Westbrook blew the last defensive play but in a close game down the stretch lots of guys can blow it. It's my opinion that the problem in OKC is Scott Brooks and not any of their players. Food for thought.

And because of Westbrook...

Kidding aside. Cant count the Spurs out. Their system is a model to follow, Pop is one of if not the best coach in the league, Duncan is still clutch, Parker and Manu are underated, and no matter who they choose to fill out their roster they always find a way to step up huge in their roles.