Author Topic: Kenyon Martin says he'll play for vet min if someone called him  (Read 4455 times)

Re: Kenyon Martin says he'll play for vet min if someone called him
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 12:15:39 PM »

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
I would cut Kris Joseph and sign KMart if we can still be under the luxury tax.

Well said.

My only concern is that Martin might not love his minutes if he doesn't find his way into the rotation early.

That being said, he's athletic, smart, and still highly capable of protecting the paint and grabbing boards.  Another guy to limit KG's minutes and help tutor Sully.

Plus, he's got a vicious streak, which I would love to see unloaded on the cHeat and Fakers.

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 12:48:45 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Thing is, we already have a big who could spell KG, protect the rim, and grab a few rebounds—Darko—but Doc seems to not want to play him.

Darko's wrist isn't 100%. And he's not catching the ball when passed to him down low.

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 12:49:51 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Thing is, we already have a big who could spell KG, protect the rim, and grab a few rebounds—Darko—but Doc seems to not want to play him.

Darko's wrist isn't 100%. And he's not catching the ball when passed to him down low.

Hopefully these two things are correlated and the "not catching the ball" part is not a case of Perkcitis.

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 01:26:03 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I would cut Kris Joseph and sign KMart if we can still be under the luxury tax.

Well said.

My only concern is that Martin might not love his minutes if he doesn't find his way into the rotation early.

That being said, he's athletic, smart, and still highly capable of protecting the paint and grabbing boards.  Another guy to limit KG's minutes and help tutor Sully.

Plus, he's got a vicious streak, which I would love to see unloaded on the cHeat and Fakers.

I felt the Cs should have signed him in August. I'd cut either Darko or Collins -- not Joseph -- and sign him ASAP. Very versatile front court player. He's still a terrific, fearless defender.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 02:04:20 PM »

Offline jsingh1699

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 16
im sure ainge considered him during the offseason (there werent that many bigs out there to consider). theres a reason why not just the celts, but every other team in the league opted not to sign him.

our roster is OK as is for now.

i second the notion of him going to the spurs, or even the thunder. any team that gets stronger against LA because of him, im all for it.

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 02:14:37 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
im sure ainge considered him during the offseason (there werent that many bigs out there to consider). theres a reason why not just the celts, but every other team in the league opted not to sign him.

I think that a big reason that Danny especially didn't sign him was that he wanted significantly more than the vet minimum

Maybe Danny reconsiders.

Would hate to cut Joseph. Collins would be my choice.

If it's the cHeat we're after, Collins doesn't give us anything againstthem except 6 hard fouls.  Kmart could give us that and a lot more.

I think KMart's physical play and nastiness would be very effective against Bosh one on one and against Wade/Lebroid as they take it into the paint.

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 02:26:59 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
How much better is Martin than Wilcox at this point? Defensively or otherwise?

I believe not much if Wilcox is healthy. The thing is that he's rarely healthy. Martin has the right attitude and would be a great presence to have on the team though.
I think Martin is still significantly better defensively than Wilcox.  Plus he has that tough guy attitude that Wilcox and Green lack.  I would like him on the roster.

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 02:34:07 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

I believe not much if Wilcox is healthy. The thing is that he's rarely healthy. Martin has the right attitude and would be a great presence to have on the team though.
I think Martin is still significantly better defensively than Wilcox.  Plus he has that tough guy attitude that Wilcox and Green lack.  I would like him on the roster.
and he will foul you hard, he's every bit of an enforcer we lacked for years
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 02:38:25 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323

According to Darko, his wrist won't be 100% until next offseason, when he can give it tons of rest, so if Doc is keeping him out because of his wrist, the Cs might as well cut him now, 'cause he won't get used at all this season.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 02:41:49 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

Im all in favor of having players on our team that would distribute hard fouls

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Im all in favor of having players on our team that would distribute hard fouls

I have been saying this for the longest... every game that Shaq played in where he could actually move we beat Mia! It was partially b/c Shaq is a space eater but also b/c of the hits he laid on them. I can remember a few times when Shaq almost knocked Wade and Bron's head of the neck... when he did that, they would not dare go back into the paint when Shaq was there. We need someone like that. I think if Doc would let him, Darko could and would be more than willing to lay the smack down! You can lay people out with no arms when your are as big as Darko is, him having a bad wrist is nothing when it comes to that! Doc, release the MURDERER, he is ready to kill!!! Doc just needs to preach, "NO easy baskets!" to Darko (so he won't be saying anything illegal to get himself in trouble. Like "I want you to try and knock his head off" lol)!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 03:10:31 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Can we get him at this point?

The only player we can cut without paying his whole year's salary is Joseph.

How close are we to the hard cap level we can not go over this year because we used our full MLE to sign someone?

Maybe Roy or someone with excellent knowledge of the numbers can help us out with that for a TP or 2.

We can afford him at the minimum. Depending on what we owe Dooling we might be able to afford him with the BAE. The numbers look like this from what I can tell

74.3M hard cap (because we used the MLE on JET)
72.5M already guaranteed (including Dooling's salary)
BAE = ~1.9M
VetMin = 1.2M (although I believe only $854K counts against the cap.

We can definitely afford a veterans minimum contract at this point. We don't have a roster spot for him but we have the 1.2M in cap space. The question is if we want to use it now or when an injury springs up mid-season.

I got the feeling with the numbers being so close that Danny was saving the BAE to outbid a team for a mid season waive/cut.

For my money I'd rather have KMart than Wilcox. I just think he has better basketball instincts and there are games where he can step up and really dominate his position. I also don't think Joseph will get us very far if he sees any time. I'd probably keep Wilcox and cut Joseph but that leaves us with: KG, Darko, Collins, Bass, Sully, Wilcox, Kmart and Melo as our front court players.

8/15 on two positions is overload for a conference that really doesn't have a ton of good centers. I would pick up Martin for insurance and toughness but I couldn't guarantee him any minutes. That would probably mean he's not signing here.