Poll

Will the Celtics make a mid season trade?

Yes, we have too many guards and KG needs help from an All Star inside to be legitimate contenders
20 (38.5%)
No, we are going for the small ball approach and working out which units work best
0 (0%)
Maybe, we are probably too deep at the shooting guard position which doesn't make sense
5 (9.6%)
There won't be a trade until next season to see how this team fares for a full year
2 (3.8%)
Danny will see how things are looking in 2 months time and will then start thinking about it
25 (48.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: I believe we will make a mid season trade. What do you think?  (Read 11778 times)

Re: I believe we will make a mid season trade. What do you think?
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2012, 01:59:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Go after Favors on Kanter... they'll offer Millisap... and eventually you can settle on Big Al

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2012, 03:47:36 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
If I was going after a big and Josh SMith wasnt reasonabley priced I would look at Anderson Varejao. He plays defense and rebounds, runs the floor well.

Move KG back to PF and start them together. Bring Green, Sullinger or Bass off the bench as KG's backup and we still have Darko/Collins.

Probably cost Melo, Bass or Green and a pick.

"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2012, 05:27:20 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
We can't trade Green unless we get a SF in return. We're too thin there and Courtney Lee at SF would just see post up after post up.

If we could get Varejao for Bass+Melo+1st I would definitely do that. He's only 30 and he's an energy guy. He is one of my least favorite NBA players but if we can trade some of our big man depth for big man skill I'm all for it, even at the cost of a 1st.

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2012, 06:12:06 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
We can't trade Green unless we get a SF in return. We're too thin there and Courtney Lee at SF would just see post up after post up.

If we could get Varejao for Bass+Melo+1st I would definitely do that. He's only 30 and he's an energy guy. He is one of my least favorite NBA players but if we can trade some of our big man depth for big man skill I'm all for it, even at the cost of a 1st.

Of course you can trade Green for another position of need.

Then trade a lesser big man for a lesser SF. 

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2012, 06:34:13 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I wonder if there is any chance New Orleans decides by January that they have buyer's remorse with respect to Ryan Anderson.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2012, 03:28:08 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
One other thought (thinking outside the box)

Bass + Lee for Danny Granger (if healthy)

This is an idea I could get behind. I doubt the Pacers do it but if they would I'd take it in a second. I'd even give them a 1st to do it.

I also think that if we moved Bass and Lee we'd have more minutes at SF. Pierce would have to play a bit more SG while Avery and possibly less overall minutes when he gets back. Green would get more minutes at PF and it would give Danny Granger a while to get healthy. It also opens up a roster spot for Kenyon Martin.

Go after Favors on Kanter... they'll offer Millisap... and eventually you can settle on Big Al

We can't really afford Jefferson. We kind of can but it would take Green and Bass and someone else who makes at least the vet's minimum. I would do it but we'd have to find a FA small forward. Oh yeah and we have to pay them as little as possible. I love the idea of Millsap though. Guy is a force in the paint.

Of course you can trade Green for another position of need.

Then trade a lesser big man for a lesser SF. 

Okay, I know you can. I was saying it's not a great idea. Mostly because getting a proficient SF within our salary constraints will be tough. We invested a lot in Green not only for this team but for the future. There are SFs we could get. None of them will do much for guarding Carmelo, James or Durant. And I guess I have to hope Green might.

Here are some other mid-season options to look at:

Gortat (it would take a lot)
Bargnani (he will fit in here with his complete lack of rebounding)
Okafor (same salary as Josh Smith but probably easier to trade for)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:27:37 AM by nostar »

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2012, 05:31:13 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
Man the people we move in and out of here. It's hillarious.

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2012, 06:55:25 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Man the people we move in and out of here. It's hillarious.

It's gotta be done for this team to properly contend.
It's why it's being done, we don't have high picks, we have our capspace taken up so we have to acquire chips and trade them while they're hot.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.