Author Topic: Harden slipped through our Perk-trading fingers  (Read 4145 times)

Harden slipped through our Perk-trading fingers
« on: November 05, 2012, 05:21:42 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
As I recall, Danny was on the verge of getting Harden instead of Green in the Perk trade. http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/14/what-if-james-harden-had-been-traded-to-boston-in-the-perkins-deal/

The Simmons Podcast:
http://cdn16.castfire.com/audio/303/2117/7141/592311/simmons_2011-05-12-160911-3953-0-1-0.32.mp3?cdn_id=33&uuid=0ae9323ec5d6ee220a6ceb41f09db851&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fprobasketballtalk.nbcsports.com%2F2011%2F05%2F14%2Fwhat-if-james-harden-had-been-traded-to-boston-in-the-perkins-deal%2F

Presti first wanted to trade Harden for Perk, but changed his mind to Green. I'd bet Danny could have gotten Harden with a little extra sweetening of the deal. Then Ray could have been traded last season not for Mayo, but for a high pick or a legit 3, 4, or 5.

Oh well, I think Green will be a fine replacement for Pierce.

Re: Harden slipped through our Perk-trading fingers
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 05:35:54 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I remember it a little different.
Danny wanted Harden, Thunder insisted on Green.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 05:36:20 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Yeah we all know. I'm unhappy because we traded are starting five for a back up to Pierce. With Harden we would of had are backcourt set now for at least five years. Too Bad.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 05:46:40 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
Not sure if true:

Listening to @sportsguy33's podcast: Sean Grande says Presti was going to trade James Harden instead of Green, then changed his mind.

Retweet
    Favorite

4:53 PM - 13 May 11 ·

Podcast should be linked to above. https://twitter.com/MikePradaSBN/status/69188542257045505

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 05:47:48 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I remember it a little different.
Danny wanted Harden, Thunder insisted on Green.

This.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 05:59:53 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
Yeah it's too bad we couldn't have gotten Harden.  Kid's a stud.

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'll pile on with others and dispute the OPs premise. I don't think that OKC was going to part with Harden for Perkins. They traded Green to free up more minutes for Ibaka/Harden. Trading Harden doesn't accomplish that goal because he still would be blocking Ibaka.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 06:17:41 PM by Fafnir »

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 07:11:50 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
I'm unhappy because we traded are starting five for a back up to Pierce.

We did?! So how are Rondo, Pierce, and KG doing in OKC these days, or did they get flipped even further?

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 07:24:06 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If Harden could have been acquired, Danny would have gotten him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 07:43:22 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I agree with others that Danny wanted Harden and settled for Green/Kristic/Pick (Melo).   Remember also that Hardin just signed a 5yr/$80 million contract.  That's just about double Green's deal per year (Green = 4yr/36M).

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 07:50:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Remember also that Hardin just signed a 5yr/$80 million contract.  That's just about double Green's deal per year (Green = 4yr/36M).

I'd much rather have Harden, even at twice the money.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 08:04:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Remember also that Hardin just signed a 5yr/$80 million contract.  That's just about double Green's deal per year (Green = 4yr/36M).

I'd much rather have Harden, even at twice the money.
Also with Harden and Bradley we wouldn't have spent $11 million a year for the next 3-4 years on Lee and Terry.

I also can not fathom that anyone would believe that Presti would ever have looked to move a 21 year old Harden when he still had him under rookie contract control for 2 1/2 more years for Kendrick Perkins. Presti had offered Green a reasonable contract extension and was turned down, much like what just happened to Harden. When it became clear Green wouldn't take his lower offer, Green was going, much like Harden just did.

Presti's standard operating procedure is clear to see. Harden was never an option for Ainge to get for Perkins. I don't care how many pundits thought he was prior or slightly after the Perkins/Green trade.

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 08:09:25 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
I deserve a pat on the back. Called it in 2009

I know its just rumors, but if Ainge is interested in the 2nd overall pick 4 Rondo. If you had to pick a player class 0f 2009, Who can come in and play right away? He has to be ready mentally & physically.

You know Ainge has an eye on someone, and I guarantee you its James Harden. This guy's game is more polished than Kevin Durant. Two words describe his game smooth and crafty. His game is compared to Pierce & Manu. He has all the moves (inside & outside) with a great jump-shot to go with. His body type is suited for SG, but I just wonder if he can be converted to PG. Passing skills is tremendous, but not like Rondo's. I just love draft experts, how they always try to find Weaknesses. Well his weakness is his athleticism (Weaksauce) & I beg to differ. Dude is 6'5" & has 6'11" wingspan.

I think its an interesting idea. Forget all the Tyreke Evans BS, Ainge has an eye on this guy. This guy is the real deal

James Harden, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Kendrick Perkins.

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 09:39:08 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If Harden could have been acquired, Danny would have gotten him.

This. As I recall Danny asked for Harden and OKC wouldnt even listen.

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 10:02:08 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I wouldn't be shocked if Ainge asked for Harden, knowing that he would be refused, and that gave him some of the leverage needed to get the Clippers pick instead of OKC's own first round pick.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference