Author Topic: Anyone have an electric or mechanical push lawnmower?  (Read 5590 times)

Anyone have an electric or mechanical push lawnmower?
« on: November 05, 2012, 01:42:27 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
How'd that work out? I kinda hate my gas one for various reasons

Re: Anyone have an electric or mechanical push lawnmower?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 01:43:46 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I have used a push lawnmower.  How much grass do you have to cut?

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 02:22:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
About a third an acre. I'm next to woods. How often do the blades have to sharpened and how does that work out?

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 03:09:07 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
I have a yard tractor for most of the lawn, but use a Black and Decker 24v cordless electric from Home Depotfor the edges/trim and inside a fenced hilly area wher the tractor doesn't fit.

The electric is lighter and quieter than the gas push mower it replaced, has no awkward extension cords, and goes 2 or 3 mowings between recharges. No winterization. No spring tune-up.  No hard starts.  Pull the trigger and it runs. Let go and it stops.  Plenty of power if the grass gets a little tall or damp, and the bagger actually works.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 03:17:47 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Wow. See that is the exact kind of feedback I needed.  This is like 75% of the reason I come here. The Celts stuff is excellent but this stuff puts it over the top. It's like Playboy for the articles

I was thinking I'd have to go for the cord but not so much now. How long have you had it? Any battery problems?

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 03:28:51 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
Just finishing the second full season. The book says keep the battery someplace warm for the winter.  The mower stays in the garage and the battery pos out and goes to the basement.  Absolutely no problems to date.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 03:30:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'm on the Black and Decker web site. If something breaks you gotta take it to a dealer? That's not an option for me.  Did you have to assemble it somehow? Did anything fall off of it or anything like that?

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 03:32:47 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
It seems like they might not make your specific model any more. Not sure. I'm glad to know they can cut on one charge. But they're about twice as expensive as a corded one

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 03:36:54 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Used to use a mechanical one - forget brand, bought it from Amazon. Moved from a small yard like yours to a big one and bought a ride one and sold the push.

They work well, are easy to sharpen (come with kits) small in the garage. I did find they are not tolerant to sticks, stones, or other large objects (like acorns) so much. So you need a yard free from debris or that you are willing to police.

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 03:38:22 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
Depending on the layout of your yard the cord may be ok.  It would have been a major nuisance for me trying to mow around an inground pool without dipping the cord.

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 03:40:53 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
I'm on the Black and Decker web site. If something breaks you gotta take it to a dealer? That's not an option for me.  Did you have to assemble it somehow? Did anything fall off of it or anything like that?

Haven't had any occasion to get it serviced. I find these days that parts for practically anything are available on line and if something does break its a simple part swap.  Nothing complcated on it. Came from Home Depot fully assembled.

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 03:41:04 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I kinda like this idea but it seems a little too good to be true. It really needs to be maintenance free because I don't think there's anyone in my area that can fix these things

http://www.resale-ebooks.com/black-decker-mm875-lawn-hog-19-inch-12-amp-electric-mulching-mower-with-rear-bag-review-and-rating/

In terms of mechanical I'm a little nervous about leaving the clippings there

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 03:46:22 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
I kinda like this idea but it seems a little too good to be true. It really needs to be maintenance free because I don't think there's anyone in my area that can fix these things

http://www.resale-ebooks.com/black-decker-mm875-lawn-hog-19-inch-12-amp-electric-mulching-mower-with-rear-bag-review-and-rating/

In terms of mechanical I'm a little nervous about leaving the clippings there

Between the tractor(s), snow blower and gas mowers this is the only thing the Fat Kid and the Fat Kid's Mom haven't damaged or needed help operating in some way.

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 04:18:08 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i have a electric mower and would never trade it in for a gas model. as stated above, electric is cleaner, quieter, easier to start, you can turn it over to check underneath without worrying about oil/gas/etc spilling, no storing of gasoline next to home, no gas smell, no tune ups, no spark plugs/filters, etc.

all around easier to use. if you have a smaller yard without lots of trees, bushes, rocks, etc. then you might even think about a electric mower with a cord. even lighter and easier to use. cord is a bit of a pain, but you learn to get around with no real trouble.

and, if you use a cord, you can also use an electric snow blower in the winter.  ;D

good luck to you.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 04:37:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
i have a electric mower and would never trade it in for a gas model. as stated above, electric is cleaner, quieter, easier to start, you can turn it over to check underneath without worrying about oil/gas/etc spilling, no storing of gasoline next to home, no gas smell, no tune ups, no spark plugs/filters, etc.

all around easier to use. if you have a smaller yard without lots of trees, bushes, rocks, etc. then you might even think about a electric mower with a cord. even lighter and easier to use. cord is a bit of a pain, but you learn to get around with no real trouble.

and, if you use a cord, you can also use an electric snow blower in the winter.  ;D

good luck to you.
what model do you have? I haven't ruled out push reel but I'm leaning toward the black and decker at this point and probably cordless