Author Topic: If we need defensive help in the paint... Kenyon Martin anyone??  (Read 4082 times)

If we need defensive help in the paint... Kenyon Martin anyone??
« on: November 05, 2012, 11:23:06 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I'm not sure if he's even healthy but from what I saw of him he could definitely defend and could be a nice veteran enforcer with the second unit...

Thoughts?

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

Re: If we need defensive help in the paint... Kenyon Martin anyone??
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 11:31:25 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Id waive Collins for Martin.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 11:37:16 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
saw this article on realgm about kenyon

Kenyon Martin Upset He Can't Get NBA Job

By Marc J. Spears

The NBA season is nearly a week old, and Kenyon Martin doesn't know why he still can't find a job in the league. He helped the Los Angeles Clippers during their playoff run last season. His knee issues of the past no longer seem to trouble him. And he's even willing to take a contract for the league minimum.

So why hasn't any team called wanting to sign him?

"There is a notion about me that is not accurate at all – I don't know who started it or where it came from – that people can't control me," Martin told Yahoo! Sports. "I don't understand. Have I had my issues like a lot of other people? Yeah. But I'm getting back that people think they can't control me, that if I don't play I'm going to explode, or I can turn a locker room.

"In 12 years there was not one day where I told one guy to dislike anybody. If you ask guys who I've played with that know me, they know what it is and know I'm about winning basketball games and competing."

Martin came off the bench to average 5.2 points, 4.3 rebounds and 22.2 minutes in 42 games with the Clippers while backing up Blake Griffin last season. The Clippers didn't attempt to re-sign Martin in the offseason. The New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers, Dallas Mavericks, Brooklyn Nets, Atlanta Hawks and San Antonio Spurs expressed interest at the start of free agency, sources said, but no NBA team has offered a contract – even a non-guaranteed deal – to Martin.

Martin, 34, had hoped to sign with a title contender. Now, he'll be open to joining any NBA team.

"If someone calls me tomorrow, I don't care who it is, whether it's losing or winning at this point," Martin said. "If someone calls me tomorrow and wants me to come in, I'm going. Guys are going down and [teams] are like, 'Well, we are going to stick with what we got.' I'm like, 'Really?' I started questioning myself, 'Am I that bad of a guy?' "

Martin wonders if his reputation as an emotional player who has been known to speak his mind is being held against him.

"Am I emotional? Yeah, but that's what made me who I am," Martin said. "Is that too much or did I not do enough? Do I have my flaws? Yes. But have I done things the right way on and off the court? Yeah."

Portland Trail Blazers general manager Neil Olshey was the Clippers GM last season when he signed Martin. He thinks Martin's intense side can be "misperceived."

"He demands excellence from everyone around him," Olshey said. "He expects coaches to be prepared. He expects his teammates to compete at the same high level that he does. The one thing about Kenyon, if guys are not performing and are not as intense or focused on playing winning basketball, he's not reluctant to let them know about it. And I think that can be misperceived at times."

Olshey said he was "thrilled" with Martin's impact on the Clippers last season.

"We don't win the Memphis series [without Martin] and we certainly wouldn't have finished as high as fifth in the Western Conference without Martin," Olshey said. "His ability to impact the game by guarding multiple positions, switching pick-and-rolls, blocking shots and protecting the rim was an element we really didn't have and it made us unique. I was thrilled with Kenyon in Los Angeles. He was a good teammate."

Olshey's Blazers already have a full roster with 15 players. And he thinks teams needing to develop younger forwards probably wouldn't have interest in Martin playing a reserve role. Martin just hopes he gets a call from someone soon.

"I understand I'm not bigger than the game," Martin said.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 05:28:24 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
Could sign far worse guys for the minimum in my opinion.

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 06:24:46 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Could sign far worse guys for the minimum in my opinion.

^this
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 07:09:02 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Kmart had been discussed on this board in the summer.I think that a big reason that Danny especially didn't sign him was that he wanted significantly more than the vet minimum

Maybe, now Danny reconsiders.

Since someone would need to be cut, I would hate to cut Joseph. Collins would be my choice.

If it's the cHeat we're after, Collins doesn't give us anything against them except 6 hard fouls.  Kmart could give us that and a lot more. Rebounds, defensive intensity, blocked shots.

I think KMart's physical play and nastiness would be very effective, especially against Bosh one on one and against Wade/Lebroid as they take it into the paint.

His intensity would mesh well with KG's.

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 07:11:53 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
What about Darko? Maybe they could pick him up, I heard they're already paying him.

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 07:14:14 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 07:31:01 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
He wants more money. That's the problem.

Birdman for Collins please!

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 08:02:34 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
He wants more money. That's the problem.

Apparently he is now happy to sign for the minimum if someone gives him a call.

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 08:12:55 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
If I were Danny, I'd keep Kenyon's phone number, twitter address, etc - on the ready.

I think we are good for now, but we all know that injuries happen.........

The man played well vs MEM last season in the playoffs.

Plus, he still has some ups in spurts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NntpmjsxSzw&playnext=1&list=PL06C3D325B59D0294&feature=results_video

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 08:54:26 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Until I am certain the frontcourt can't hold the fort while fully healthy, K Mart shouldn't be on the radar. I'm sure he's still got something left but clearly the Celtics didn't think he was worth the trouble.

It was an intriguing possibility before Darko was signed. The only guy we can cut without losing money is Joseph, and we need insurance at the wing more than another big.

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 09:27:50 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't know how the money would work out but I would cut Wilcox and sign Martin.  Even though we have plenty of PFs (Bass, Sullinger, KG, Green), I think Martin would be a considerable upgrade over Wilcox and may make it possible to trade Bass down the road.

Of course if it puts us over the tax limit, I can understand why they wouldn't do it.

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 12:13:18 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I don't know how the money would work out but I would cut Wilcox and sign Martin.  Even though we have plenty of PFs (Bass, Sullinger, KG, Green), I think Martin would be a considerable upgrade over Wilcox and may make it possible to trade Bass down the road.

Of course if it puts us over the tax limit, I can understand why they wouldn't do it.

I do not believe that Kenyon Martin is an upgrade over Chris Wilcox.  I grant you that Wilcox's ability to be healthy and stay healthy is a concern, but the same could certainly be said for Martin.

Cutting Wilcox to add Martin would be an awful idea, in my opinion.  I (and apparently I'm the only one) expect Chris Wilcox to be a significant contributor to this team before long. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 12:44:14 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

+1

Kenyon Martin would be a much more valuable alternative at power forward than Wilcox. Kenyon would give Boston a true defensive presence at power forward (something they currently do not have). Someone who can take some pressure off of Garnett. Either when playing alongside KG or playing while KG rests.

Kenyon is also smart enough and tough enough defensively to function as a quick center when plodders like Darko and Collins are not an option + allows the team to keep a legit shot-blocker out there while playing small.

Kenyon Martin would be a really big improvement over Wilcox. A major reinforcement for this team's bench.