Author Topic: One day to go in the 2012 election cycle...  (Read 14045 times)

Re: One day to go in the 2012 election cycle...
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2012, 08:21:59 PM »

Offline D Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 241

More importantly, Nicks first statement can't be overemphasized enough:
the deficit has decreased under Obama.

yep.  won't show that stat on Fox, but it's still true.

I actually vote D because I'm a fiscal conservative who doesn't take that term for granted. 

Not one GOP pres in my lifetime has ever actually backed that claim up.  Yet both DEM pres's have steadily chipped the deficit away. 

I know I'm not nearly as informed as others around here, but just thought I'd share this viewpoint FWIW

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:43:00 PM by D Dub »

« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2012, 08:34:17 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 369
though I am voting for Romney, I am around 70-80% sure Obama will be re-elected. But I am glad that all presidential ads are finally going to be over

« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »

Offline D Dub

• Ray Allen
Between the Supreme Court and the debts we'll be passing on to our children and grandchildren, I really do see this election to be of monumental importance.

Agreed on the Supreme Court nominations.  That court going farther right would really be on the wrong side of the civil rights movement.

These 'Small Government' concepts apparently only apply to white males. 
Women, Gays, & Latinos on the other hand...
I dont know how many women you have polled on this, but I have to tell you that I am a woman, you didn't ask me.  I agree with conservative justices.  I also agree with smaller government.  (Before you jump...I did NOT say No government...I said smaller.)

That's fair, everyone's entitled to their opinion.  I live in CA and no one polled me about anything  ;)

Back on topic, it just looks like the GOP social agenda is full of religous influence.  Gay Marriage and Roe/Wade being the clear the lightning rods.

Wasn't Separation of Church and State a big deal to our founding fathers?

« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2012, 08:43:14 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 360
For all Obama's spending he has decreased the yearly deficit every year he has been in office and never once had a deficit year as that of Bush's last fiscal year.

He has proposed cuts in spending and more efficient spending in healthcare and military spending.

His proposal is for higher taxes for very few Americans, higher revenues, lower and more efficient spending leading to economic growth, more jobs, less unemployment, higher property values, a stronger housing market, a stronger stock market and lower deficits. His plan makes sense and is showing signs of working. It just depends on whether you trust him to follow through with what he says or agree with his economic theory.

Hes going to do that how exactly? Hard to do those things when your own party won't vote.for your budget.

« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2012, 08:49:29 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2291
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
We're getting to about the time where it needs to be mentioned again: no discussion of abortion, roe v wade, etc.. Is permitted on celticsblog. I get that it's a huge deal to a lot of people. That's why it's not allowed. Please don't pursue it any further than it has already gone.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2012, 08:50:31 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Antoine Walker
Keep em coming guys:
 lower deficits under obama
fiscal conservatives voting for him
equal pay for women would be  in danger with a Romney win.

What sorcery do you guys practice to alter reality is such a way? Those claims/thoughts are so far out there they would make Chris Matthews blush.

« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2012, 08:58:43 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Keep em coming guys:

What sorcery do you guys practice to alter reality is such a way? Those claims/thoughts are so far out there they would make Chris Matthews blush.

Careful now. Socially conservative men accusing other people of sorcery in New England has a historical trend of turning ugly. ;)

« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2012, 09:01:03 PM »

Offline D Dub

• Ray Allen
Keep em coming guys:

Nah, just have to switch away from Fox every now and again. 

Oh, and you may be confusing that Equal Pay thing with Healthcare for Women. 
Waiting in the wings Mitt's got a whole binder full of professionals...   

« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2012, 09:09:52 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I actually vote D because I'm a fiscal conservative who doesn't take that term for granted. 

Not one GOP pres in my lifetime has ever actually backed that claim up.  Yet both DEM pres's have steadily chipped the deficit away. 

I know I'm not nearly as informed as others around here, but just thought I'd share this viewpoint FWIW

Deficits are down slightly from 2008-2009, but that was almost entirely Obama's presidency (not to mention a crisis). But aside from that, if you look at the deficits Bush ran before the meltdown, his three highest deficits *combined* are lower than any of Obama's one year deficits. A fiscal conservative voting for Obama because of his spending is like voting to re-elect Bush because you're a pacifist and you liked his foreign policy.

« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2012, 09:11:02 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Antoine Walker
Keep em coming guys:

Careful now. Socially conservative men accusing other people of sorcery in New England has a historical trend of turning ugly. ;)

Ha ha good point. 

« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2012, 09:11:19 PM »

Offline D Dub

• Ray Allen

Mine is that overall, he hasn't done a very good job. As a matter of fact, I'm extremely disappointed in his job performance over the last four years.

But Mitt Romney is everything that is wrong about American politics. he has sold out his real stances for votes from the far right. He has repeatedly misled people regarding his accomplishments as Governor of Massachusetts( a state he couldn't have gotten re-elected in as governor if he tried). He will say anything. He will give no details. And he is willing cut the safety nets from the poor, sick and elderly in this country for the sake of making the rich richer.

I trust Obama's stances on foreign policy and social issues. I think his move towards universal healthcare is the right move. I think his policies economically have the country moving in the right direction though I think he has to cut spending and make government spending of all types more efficient. All things I don't trust with Romney. So, Obama gets the vote, especially because of the social issues.

TP- great articulation & sums up the way I feel also. 

« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2012, 09:12:32 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Deficits are down slightly from 2008-2009, but that was almost entirely Obama's presidency (not to mention a crisis). But aside from that, if you look at the deficits Bush ran before the meltdown, his three highest deficits *combined* are lower than any of Obama's one year deficits. A fiscal conservative voting for Obama because of his spending is like voting to re-elect Bush because you're a pacifist and you liked his foreign policy.

Bush's deficit numbers that you are referencing are misleading. They are due to Clinton's economic policies. Bush created the huge deficit we have now from spending immense amounts of money on two wars, one of which was not at all needed.

« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2012, 09:25:35 PM »

Offline D Dub

• Ray Allen

One could argue we'd still have budget surplus if it weren't for 8 years of GOP reign.  Turns out that funding a war against the wrong enemy by issuing tax cuts to the rich isn't really a great plan...

So, what has the GOP done to earn redemption? 

I'm not hearing about any 'lessons learned from their 00-08 mistakes'...   

« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2012, 09:26:18 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2557
Keep em coming guys:

What iscal conservatives are voting for Obama?  I think I missed that.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2012, 09:26:28 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I will say this again...can't wait for this thing to be over.

Never have I had this level of discourse among peers leading up to a presidential election like I've had here. For that, I thank you guys, especially those who I often disagree with, because I've had to review and refine every point I've made here, for fear of being exposed as under-informed or just plain wrong.

But it is exhausting. Can't wait to just get back to complaining about who is actually president, as opposed to defending or attacking those who might be.